Before you toss the latest Airbnb magazine

FYI, I just got an e-mail from Airbnb with subject “Hosting gift for you: Airbnb Magazine subscription” saying that I would receive the first issue of my 1-year subscription soon.

It’s not totally obvious to why some hosts in the USA get it while others don’t.

It’s about 13 months since I hosted my very first guest, so maybe it’s just something they do after you’ve been hosting at least one year?

Two weeks ago was when I received the e-mail that I earned the “Superhost bonus” for earning Superhost status 4 times in a row, so it could be related to that, although it seems unlikely.

I think I started getting the magazine after my 4th superhost quarter actually, so that sounds right. Oddly, I’ve been getting just one copy but, for some reason, this month I got 3 copies. I guess it’s one for each apartment but not sure why it’s changed from 1 copy or 2 after a few months. Seemed random.

I’ve only been hosting since August and have received two already so that can’t be right. I’ve received the Italy one and the blue/winter(?) edition.

1 Like

Well, scratch those theories.

Maybe number of reservations? I just completed my 40th reservation and I have 10 more upcoming. Could there be a trigger point there somewhere?

1 Like

I had my 40th reservation in my first quarter but didn’t getting the magazine until last Fall.

Perhaps they just started sending them out to more hosts more recently? E.g. the coincidence/random possibility :slight_smile:

Seems like there should be, but who knows.

1 Like

This is what Airbnb said about it and as expected it’s clear as mud. At least they are consistent in their inconsistency. It helps me to know not to ever expect transparency.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2472/why-am-i-receiving-airbnb-magazine-and-how-can-i-manage-my-subscription

2 Likes

Yeah, I just noticed that I received an email earlier saying that I would now be receiving the magazine as an appreciation gift. Doh. I’ve been receiving it for months already. Maybe that explains the extra copies of it though. I just wish they would make these kind of mistakes with the payouts in my favor :wink:

1 Like

That makes it sound like it will be mailed to the listing address, which is not my address. My listing has a cluster mailbox and I’ve got it setup currently to reject USPS mail. Anyway, I tried to log in to manage my account to see what address they have, but the ABNB magazine system doesn’t recognize me.

1 Like

I got the latest magazine last week and I’ve only been hosting since November! And then a couple weeks ago I received an email from them saying I could choose a “gift”…either a deck of playing cards or a keychain. I picked the playing cards and put them down in the listing for guests.

2 Likes

directly into trash
too late

1 Like

I have been receiving it since it started and I wasn’t SuperHost until this year so I bet location had more to do with it. Funny thing is though I receive 4 for two addresses. I do have 4 listings but 3 are in one property (front BR, back BR and both BRs).

you can have mines. i canceled them all. i barely have time to read my new yorker subscription and some books. when would i have time to read this?

I don’t read mine. I will flip through them while eating breakfast and then into the bedroom if the private room it goes. The other 3 have already been put in the “burnables” box for firestarter…

They send FOUR to our house, and they started coming months before we posted our listings. I always assumed it was something to do with traveling as guests.

Folks who don’t get them: you are not missing anything. I promise.

1 Like

You have old New Yorkers? I’d take those first!