Bedroom tv sizes - do I need to buy very big because of eyesight?

Okay - boring topic I know…so after some helpful replies on here re whether to supply tvs in bedrooms, I have decided it to do so. It didn’t occur to me somehow that people need big tvs to protect our eyes, and also presumably some people can’t see the pic well if the size isn’t right. I haven’t had a tv for many years, since before my eye sight deteriorated, so I am not sure how it works/ whether I would be able to see the telly now etc.

I started my research at Which magazine (not sure if you have that out there) and learned that we should be checking distance to tv, and buying suggested sizes.

In all the bedrooms, the telly will need to be placed either directly at the end of the bed on a table or stand, or another meter or so further back than that if wall hung or sitting on existing furniture. With the first option, it seems that a 32 inch tv will be fine. I was going to get 24 inches. Do you think that this would be a mistake? Will some people not be able to see from their position on the bed?

For the rooms where the tv is going to fit better a meter or so back from the end of the bed - they are recommending a 48 - 50 inch tv (for three meters from where you are sitting). To me this is enormous, and they will be overbearing in the bedrooms. But I am open to the idea that if needs must … I wouldn’t want anyone frustrated because the tv is too small and far away.

I need to buy five tvs (I want one now too!), so want to try and get this right…
If you were travelling and wanted to watch tv from your bed (no other place in bedroom), what size tv do you think you would want? In particular, do you think a 32 inch would be too small?

I have small TVs in the bedrooms on top of the dressers. So far, no one has complained. I didn’t want anything really big because it would cover the mirror and there would be less space on the dresser for guests to place personal items.

I’m personally not a fan of those huge gigantic TVs. I feel like they take away from the focal point of the room. In the sitting room a have a medium size wall mounted TV over the fireplace. I wanted the fireplace to be the focal point and not the TV.

I think you’re safe with a 32 inch TV in the bedroom. The ones I have in the bedrooms are smaller (24 inches) and so far no complaints.

2 Likes

I have a small tv in the bedroom with a Roku and over-the-air attenees. when I got feedback for tvs in the bedroom, most folks us is more for a way to fall a sleep then actually watching.

I have a larger tv in the den.

Also, it seems like the younger guests just use their computer with wifi.

5 Likes

I think this depends. Are these bedrooms part of a whole house rental? Or are these individual rooms that folks rent out.

If they are individual rooms people might want to hide away from other guests/strangers and lie in bed and watch tv. In that case the largest tv would be helpful.

If there is a big tv in the living area and this is a whole house rental I would think the tvs in the bedrooms are less for extended watching and more for back ground noise, and don’t need to be as big.

4 Likes

I have a 24 in one room and a 32 in the other because I bought used and picked up what I could find. However, guests have access to a very large TV in the living room space so they have some choice. Another factor which I didn’t think much about was the sound. Listen before you buy! Some of my small TVs have clearer sound than my big one. I had to get a sound bar for the larger one.

3 Likes

One consideration: sound.

A TV close to the user means that the sound can be lower in level than, say, a large tv placed on a ‘distant’ wall. Adjoining rooms deserve quiet, and a loud TV can be really annoying if you are not the one using it. Most TVs have a ‘hotel mode’ that you can access to set a maximum volume level for the tv; you set it at a volume that is low enough not be be annoying outside the room.

3 Likes

that’s why I would never offer a tv in bedrooms in a shared home situation.It’s not expected in the UK. Most people use their laptops if they want to watch TV or a film @Rolf

6 Likes

Same with me - I have 3 rooms in a shared home and I cannot imagine being a guest in an adjoining bedroom with a tv going (despite my 100 year old plaster walls).

3 Likes

Excellent point! Thank you

There must be some way to hook up headphones to a TV, no? There is no way that hearing someone else’s TV in a shared home would be okay with me, either as a guest or a host. The kind of people who fall asleep to the TV usually have it on all night.

My neighbor in the little cabin next door uses headphones to watch movies on his laptop, because he likes the sound loud, sound really travels here (tropics, we all have windows and doors open and spend most of our time outside) and I can hear his movies loud and clear if he doesn’t use the headphones.

No way I would put a TV on a piece of furniture at the end of the bed, unless the bed has a footboard, or the piece of furniture was tall enough, like a dresser. Otherwise it seems like it would be really easy to kick it over in the middle of the night if someone is thrashing around in their sleep.

I don’t know anyone, of any age, who watches TV. A lot have a TV monitor, but use it to watch movies, either Netflix, or something similar.

1 Like

I worked in the consumer electronics industry for almost 10 years. Screen size recommendations come from research on distance and field-of-view that is optimized for theaters (and home theaters). It’s usually not practical to use those sizes in bedrooms. That said, you should get the largest TV that fit (physically and aesthetically) in your space and is within your budget. I can’t imagine buying anything smaller than 40-inch now as 32-inch and 24-inch televisions are not significantly less expensive unless they are using low-resolution (720p or 768p) screens. Also, consider your competition (hotels). You’ll find most cheap hotel rooms have 39- to 43-inch TVs in them now.

@Rolf also brought up sound. The fact that you can hear the TV in the next room is a problem, but even worse may be not being able to hear it at all. Smaller TVs have smaller speakers and may not be able to reach a volume where they can be used from 3 meters away.

2 Likes

My TV, which I only use to watch movies on, is 22 inches! I hate an exposed TV screen aesthetically, especially mounted on the wall, and wanted to have it hidden behind the doors of my bookcase unit.

If you have Bluetooth headphones and a TV that supports Bluetooth, you can connect headphones. If you can connect headphones via cord (I’m not sure there is a headphone out jack), you’ll need to be no further away than the length of the cord which isn’t usually more than 3 or 4 feet.

1 Like

I got a 32" TV and I’m going to buy a 42" one for the room because it’s too small. I’ll use the 32" TV as a monitor for my laptop.

I’ve had a 42" on a stand at the end of the bed and loved the “big screen” feel.

@Helsi
I agree. I’m a Home host and a large percentage of my guests are Millenial & Gen Z-ers, who tend to use their laptops. As it doesn’t come up under amenities, I wouldn’t think they miss having one if they rent my room. At any rate, never had a request or complaint.

1 Like