Be a showoff! Let us see your listing

As someone said - what an easy way to make money - just change the sheets and give the bathroom a swish!

Every host is different but this is the easiest money I’ve ever made.

1 Like

I agree as far as the amount I am making, but the assumption that there is so little you have to do, I think I have a degree in glass shower screen polishing!

5 Likes

Oh my word Edie I love love love your artwork - what a wonderful place you have. I also think the way you write your comments to your guests’ reviews is spot on - personal, friendly, and a perfect example of how to use the opportunity to subtly market your home to anyone reading.

You’ve asked for comments, and they’re minor: there is confusion over the beds. In the text you say three queen sized beds, in the listing it says 3 king sized beds. I’m European so I don’t even know how wide this is - personally I would find measurements - in cms and feet - useful.

I also think the bedroom photos could be improved, by ironing the sheets on all the beds, maybe add a throw - it feels a teeny bit spartan - and I wonder why the curtain is drawn in one shot. It doesn’t keep out the light (maybe mention black out blinds if you have them) and it looks as though you might be trying to hide a nasty view (which you’re not, your setting is lovely).

And I might declutter the porch cushions a bit. But frankly, Edie, these are tiny details. What a lovely listing you have - as all your happy guests attest to.

3 Likes

Helen, you are a dear to make such nice comments. And I will take your suggestions to heart, I agree with them! You have that eye for detail that I appreciate.

I am not sure about the confusion about the beds, perhaps something is scrambled in the USA to UK translation. They are queen size across the board on my view. Adding measurements is an easy fix, though.

And now I have all the reason I need to restyle and reshoot the bedroom photos.

Thank you! -edie

3 Likes

Hi Edie,

I’m trying to upload the screenshot I took - hope it works! Best, H

1 Like

This may help to explain: https://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Whats-the-Difference-Between-a-King-and-Queen-Size-Bed-/10000000177590131/g.html

That’s a fantastic looking place. The photographs are very well presented too; I admire your map feature wall of the Cairngorms (photo 10) and the red squirrel (31) made me smile! We’re 1.5 hours south of you and we only get grays here, sadly.

1 Like

A UK King Size is only 2" shorter than a US Queen and they are the same width. Surely Airbnb are not translating the sizes for the UK market?!

Here is ours-
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/25517425?s=51

1 Like

Helen your place is just beautiful, congratulations. I have a house rental in the west coast of Ireland (our holiday home) and based on my experience (years renting it out before Airbnb) I would remove anything of sentimental value or anything very valuable and be prepared (psychologically) for some damage and as you accept children (as do I), some grubby stains! I used to also have a 10 am check out but changed it to 11 as many families seemed to struggle to be ready to be out by 10 and over ran, it got easier once I switched to 11. I can’t remember how far you are from your rental but if it is some distance, it really helps to have some reliable tradesmen/women you can call out at short notice for the inevitable problems that arise. Good luck with this venture and enjoy hosting, the vast majority of guests are lovely.

2 Likes

Lovely home. A real home, not a sterile “investment property” which is my largest objection to what Airbnb has become. I think your prices are waaaay too low.

4 Likes

ok so its been up before…but a few changes…oh and I like the 5 photo look much more - going to have 2 ore flats up soon hopefully (grrrrr Russian builders!)

3 Likes

thanks good catch have corrected. Dont know how I got bookings with that glitch!

I thought that too when I seen it £73 ($100?) for an entire three bedroom house. I would have thought it could at least be higher for peak seasons.

1 Like

no comments on the fotos - v nice - but id say the order is strange ur in the house then ur not then u are then ur outside again, then ur back then a squirrel - I think as a customer u want to go through the house first then see the local area - for me it was a bit…strange…I think u would get more interest if it was more structured the photos…but saying that im sure ull do well whatever u do )

1 Like

much loved home ) - id put photo #20 first - that would attract me the most - gives the idea of the house - get rid of either #2 or #3 by flicking through the rooms these two pics make the room dark - I wouldn’t also put ‘darkest’ on #15 - seems quite light to me and would put people off…anyway just some thoughts )…feel free to comment on mine too ).

Thanks Jamjsco! I live in St Andrews (mainly greys here too), and I feel like I’ve spent the entire summer going either up or down the A9! On Friday I had the photographer booked by Airbnb round at Aviemore - I felt I could do with some wide angle shots of the rooms, and the subsidised shoot meant it was very affordable, from a frankly superb local photographer. I’ll start a new thread about the whole experience once I get the shots from Airbnb (four weeks, which seems a bit long but hey ho). Apparently they have a house style that they ask the photographers to adhere to - it used to be no artificial light at all, now it’s all lights on (which I would have done anyway). I posted on Instagram about the shoot itself, tagging Airbnb, got a few more followers (which altho nice for the ego, I wonder whether it will ever be anything more). Best, Helen

1 Like

Thank you!! I was mid re-order when I had to leave my computer - I’ll go and fix that! Helen

Wow. Love your place, I think your listing rocks: you had me thinking, oooh, long weekend in St Petersburg, could we do that? I wouldn’t improve on any of the photos or the text - you come across and a friendly and super knowledgeable host. Seriously.

The only thing that is less than ideal is having to make and unmake the bed every day. You appear to have lots of space, and I assume you looked at having a permanent bed, perhaps slightly screened? I’m sure you have your reasons why you didn’t, but it’s the only thing that would give me pause. Well done!