Back to Toilet Paper

They just figure it out themselves. It’s a rather common practice in self-catering apartments in Europe. Some (especially Italians) even ask me whether they should bring their own bedlinen and towels. It’s quite a common practice to charge this additionally in apartments in Italy and Austria (believe it or not!).

Just to clarify, I leave 2-3 roles for 2-3 people. They have enough time to settle down and get to the store in the meantime. It lasts for at least two days and probably even longer.

That’s basically what I do and for the same reason - guests are staying in a self-catering accommodation.

For two guests (my max) staying up to 5 nights, I leave one full roll in use and 2 extras; for 7 ni., I add a roll. Four rolls in 7 days is sufficient especially when guests are out and about sightseeing every day. They are 450-sheet 2-ply rolls.

The only time I increase the rolls (by 1) is if there are two gals.

In my welcome letter, I remind the guest that vacation rentals are self-catering and unlike hotels, there is no daily housekeeping service. I tell them that unlike hotels, they are not being left with mini “starter” sets of consumables but standard sizes which should last them throughout their stay.

My wording is that there is an ample but limited supply of the necessities. The word “limited” lets them know that once the supply is exhausted, they are on their own. No one has ever (dared) asked for more. :smile:

1 Like

Raise your price $5 a day and quit being stingy with the TP. No one wants to run out to the store for TP in the middle of an episode. For every guest who uses more than their share or takes some with them, there’s another guest who uses less than their share.

3 Likes

Some guests do use a crazy amount. I stopped putting loads of spare rolls in the bathroom as that seemed to encourage even faster use, but always replaced the spare when necessary. There is nothing worse than being caught out.

Raise your price - even an extra dollar a night with cover the extra TP.

1 Like

How long did the guests stay and why did they claim there was one roll instead of two - did you follow up and tell them where the spare one was?

Is there a grocery nearby? Since your guests want to take your items to “stock up” for camping in the Safari, then I would add the number of rolls of toilet paper to a list of what is provided during their stay. And if there is a store nearby you can direct them there in your instructions.

You have to wonder if some jerk in the group grabbed the spare roll for himself, and the others thought only one roll was left.

Definitely be generous depending on the length of stay - what I mean is anticipate the entire group is always females who are wasteful. But I would not leave endless amounts of toilet paper since you say that every single person takes the spare rolls with them.

This makes me think of the times I have to go to a public toilet here, I pay my entrance fee, they give me a staggering amount of 5 - 7 very thin sheets and I’m like: “What? :angry: That’s not even enough to clean the toilet seat! :fearful:
Needless to say that I have grown accustomed to always leave the house with a small leftover roll of toilet paper.

@Justice_Peace But to get closer to subject: The fact of the matter is that there is a wide range of toilet paper needs in people:
A) Some will do a number two only once every 5 days, others will do a number two 5+ times a day. Not even talking about the number 1’s that would also merit some paper.
B) Some need to use loads of paper, others need to us little paper.
C) Some like to use loads of paper, others like to use minimal paper.

When B) and C) don’t align and the guest is a nude sleeper this could lead to other problems like skidma… I am wandering off. :smile:

Anyway, unless your place is fully self catering and it is clearly communicated in advance that there will be a limited supply of (or no) toilet paper, you have to supply plenty of toilet paper for whatever guest hits your fan.
It’s really a lousy experience when you need the toilet in a hurry, do your thing and then notice that there is absolutely no toilet paper left or anything that resembles it. :poop:

If you really suspect that people are taking your toilet paper, think of installing large rolls in a holder that cannot be opened. Or just simply put out a note that the toilet paper is for in-house use only. Or a note asking people to leave $ 2,00 for every roll they take out of the house.

@anomaly14 Not everyone likes to use fabric napkins: Some will consider them dirty, some will consider them un-ecofriendly, others will consider them too nice for the occasion.

1 Like

Here is my TP formula for double rolls: Multiply the number of guests by the number of days and then divide by:

• 5 for men
  • 4 for women
  • 4.5 for mixed

Leave that number as extras, PLUS those that are left on the dispenser. Voila! It works every time. I usually have 1 or 2 rolls left over which is perfect. Once in awhile I can tell that someone has nicked the leftovers, but I’d rather err on the side of too many than to “catch someone with their pants down”. :open_mouth:

Here is an example - if I have a mixed group with 10 people for 5 days that would be 10x5=50. Divide that by 4.5 = 11 double rolls, plus those that are already on the dispenser.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that everyone here says that women use more toilet paper than men. My husband goes through a roll a day.

Yipes! xxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 Like

All depends on the size of your roll, but to me it appears very little what you provide: I for sure wouldn’t last with 1 roll for 5 days.

Let’s not make it into a discussion about men and women.

This is for a “double roll”. I’ve used this formula on 50+ groups and it has never failed.

So if you do the math a double roll per male should last for 4 days (2 days for a single roll).

In our case, I guess if you go through more than that history tells us that the other men would even out your usage.

If it’s many hosts’ experience that women use more toilet paper than men; why shouldn’t they discuss it?

@konacoconutz (… sorry Canadian, I pushed reply to you in error)

(I 'bout fell over when I read your “yipes!” :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry, I read over the double roll. An average of 1 roll per two days per person seems a good amount that would work, yes.

1 Like

We shouldn’t do any stereotyping, should we? :wink:

Why not? Except for @EllenN’s hubby there are physical reasons that women would “normally” go through more TP than men. :blush:

1 Like

So how do you leave 3.125 rolls??

(Just kidding)

If it’s over .25 I round it up!

1 Like

Or just roll out the precise amount of toilet paper and leave the rest?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like