Back to Toilet Paper

I have a 4 star based on the “lack of toilet paper”. The guest claims that there was only one roll for four of them, and passed this to BnB. We actually put out two new rolls for every group of visitors, there are 350 two ply sheets per roll and there were 4 guests. We have found that if we put out extra rolls, they all go, not even the cardboard centerremains

1 Like

You restrict toilet paper?
Don’t know what it costs where you are, but I pay about 50 cents a roll.
Fifty cents isn’t worth a whinge!

2 Likes

It might depend on how long they were staying?

OTOH, I’ve never really understood why, when I’m a guest, I should expect a host to cater to my everyday ablutional needs … if I see that toilet paper is running out I wouldn’t think twice about buying some more if the host wasn’t available to ask.

Though, as Debthecat says above, it does seem a bit mean to restrict loo paper. Unless of course you find they are using it as paper chain decoration for their rooms …

2 Likes

It’s only about 80 cents but that’s not the point. First, 700 sheets in 3 days? and tried leaving extra rolls…all goes regardless. We get plenty of guests who are stopping off before and after Safari (camping with no facilities) so they need to stock up.

I have a pretty high price point for an entire house. Always full roll on the hanger and 2 backups each bathroom.
Had my eyes opened once. A couple stayed for a week and all the rolls were gone. The cardboard was in the bins - 2 people, 7 days, SIX rolls…

I had a single guest recently who got through two toilet rolls in one day :blush:

2 Likes

If you leave extras, they steal it, sad to say but it is true.

5 Likes

It’s true. I didn’t think at the beginning, but it’s true.

I have two toilet paper dispensers in the bathroom - one at the normal place you would expect, and the other low near the base of the toilet, sitting vertically. It gives the impression of a lot of paper and in the off chance they go thru the entire main roll it can be used as a second roll. AND it appears obvious if they steal one of them.

1 Like

Yes they do, had the same thing happen a few times. I go for a roll per day…

The reason a traveller expecting toilet paper makes sense is because it’s something consumed. It’s bit of a bother to carry toilet paper in the luggage while travelling or to go around looking for a shop to buy some - especially if you’re in a hurry.

I leave 2 rolls - one in use and one extra. Never been stolen, except once when the extra one went missing. I later found it in the guest’s room after they left!

1 Like

With some guests I find half rolls left on the dining table. They obviously use them as serviettes, even though I leave fabric napkins in a container right there on the dining table.

1 Like

I have one on the wall and four in the container next to the toilet. Have once had all taken and recently they bought their own extra silk feel. :grinning:

For a 3 bdrm place, avg 4-6 guests, I leave 6 rolls. Not had any pinched. One group left a new pkg of 8 rolls, that they must have brought with them. I also leave a spare roll of paper towels. I prefer the Costco brand.
I’d mark down any host who was stingy with such an inexpensive item.

As you cater to the safari folks, I’d suggest putting 2 rolls in a bag as a gift. Factor the cost in your cleaning fee.

I leave about 12 rolls in the guest bathroom, it’s always well stocked. I buy bumper packs for about €10.00 for about 20 rolls. I only had one person nick them in 2 years.
It’s probably too many rolls but it would put me off if we were staying somewhere and we ran out of toilet paper.

1 Like

It depends on location, if a store isn’t easily accessible, then it’s unreasonable to expect guests to buy what most consider essential amenities for accommodation.

1 Like

Most of my guests are staying for 7-14 days. I leave an initial supply of paper (2-3 roles of good quality paper) and then they are expected to buy further toilet paper themselves. It is a self-catering accommodation so this is sort of a norm where I host. People are mostly here by car so I think that they simply take any leftover paper with themselves. It happen to me only once or twice that people asked me for more paper, I didn’t decline, of course. Nowadays hosts are putting many things into apartment that weren’t the norm back in the days (dishwasher liquid, soap, salt, pepper, sugar, kitchen towels etc) and I do too, but I really don’t feel like leaving the whole package of paper behind because this is something that is really easily spended in a week or two. for a whole family.

1 Like

Just my 2 cents, but 2 rolls for 4 people doesn’t sound like enough to me.

1 Like

How do you communicate that they buy their own rolls to use once your supply is exhausted?

Per web, avg person use 57 squares of tp per day, at that rate four people would use 228 squares per day. But some people will use more, and they may have had gi issues due to travel. So, 2 rolls is barely enough for four people for two days. You didn’t mention how long they stayed.

1 Like