Avocado for breakfast

Here in NYC many breakfast egg dishes are served with sliced avocado :avocado:
Yummy

Everyone, please keep the avocado ideas coming! Breakfast or not. Our place is in St Lucia, where the avocados grow as large as your head (and I am not exaggerating that). So Iā€™m looking for lots of good ideas on how to use avocados besides guacamole and in salads or just a slice along side something else.

2 Likes

Hi @PitonView

Have a search on the food websites - itā€™s the in-food there are thousands.

Over here BBC Good Food and Jamie Oliver are great sites. Have a look at that.

I tried baked avocado once - yuk - I would suggest you avoid :slight_smile:

Yes, that is an example of a recipe for avocado toast. However, avocado toast is a flexible dish. You can top the avocado with whatever you have on hand that goes nicely with avocado. I particularly like olive oil, lime juice, black pepper and flaky salt. Some people like a sweet element like honey. I would caution you against stating in your listing that you will always have avocado toast available. Avocados donā€™t ripen on the tree, they must be picked then allowed to ripen. As they ripen in different time frames itā€™s hard to have ripe avocados on hand all the time. Pro tip; once they are ripe put them in the refrigerator or they will become overripe quickly.

2 Likes

I agree. To me, avocado thatā€™s been warmed is nasty.

1 Like

Our local Indonesian restaurant has an avocado chocolate smoothie that is delicious. Hereā€™s a recipe.

I eat it all the time at breakfast (Iā€™m from California). On toast, sliced on an omelette (also delicious to put some salsa and sour cream on the omelette along with the avocado), sliced on the side of scrambled eggsā€¦ Delish!

2 Likes

Some days we definitely serve avocados as breakfast: Bread with avocados. I personally totally love it!

1 Like

Iā€™ve never ever heard or seen anyone do this except my mother and her six sisters. As a child, I remember them mashing up avocados, adding sugar and spreading it thickly on soft bread or toast to be eaten open-faced. We used to have it as kids at breakfast or for a snack. (Sounds gross but was yummers and we jumped around in delight!)

Itā€™s sorta like when I heard about Elvisā€™ favorite sandwichā€¦peanut butter and bananas (ick!), I have a similar unusual one that Iā€™ve never heard anyone else do. Itā€™s a sandwich of peanut butter, jam and crisp bacon on toast. It travels well and is a yummy energy boost on the golf course, airplane layovers and car trips.

If you gave me an avocado :avocado: and vegemite on a buttery crumpet for breakfast I would think Iā€™d died and gone to heaven.

3 Likes

OOOH! I just remembered, there used to be this cooking guy on t.v. called the Urban Peasant -James Barber (Canadian). Someone gave me his cookbook - super easy, lazy stuff. I just remembered this one recipe he had for ā€œif youā€™re craving coffee ice cream but donā€™t have the ingredientsā€¦ā€ - itā€™s an avocado, mashed with instant coffee. Tastes like coffee ice cream!

Youā€™re all killing me with this. I donā€™t remember that I NEED avocados until I get on here and suddenly Iā€™m RAVENOUS for anything as long as itā€™s avocado!

I feel like youā€™re all secretly being funded by some Avocado Agency. Secret Avocado Agents!! :grinning:

3 Likes

Iā€™m just back from the market and bought avocados (a rare 3 for $1). I am so going to experiment and try making coffee ā€œice creamā€ with one of themā€¦although I do admit it sounds yucky. :grin:

2 Likes

You probably need to add some sort of sweetener to it too!

Also? Avocado milkshakes! Oh man, Iā€™m SO hungry now!

1 Like

With avocados you can even make a vegan chocolate cake. Look for the recipe on the internet.

2 Likes

and you can make a vegan mayonnaise. Avocado soup, tortilla soup with avocado chunks. Avocados are mighty versatile!

1 Like

@EllenN - Thank you for the link! It points to a contest for avocado recipes, and there are dozens that sound great (even though I just ate dinner). An avocado and goat-cheese appetizer, avocado salad with grapefruit (also plentiful in the Caribbean) and bacon, shark steaks with mango avocado salsaā€¦ the list goes on. I appreciate the help!

1 Like

I would just like everyone to know that I went to sleep craving avocados and woke upā€¦yeah, still craving avocados. Iā€™m going to pick some up before work.

Signed,
Reluctant member of the Avocado Cult :grinning:

2 Likes

Hipsters in the Washington DC area are into the avacodo toast thing too.

Avo on toast is the best. Are they expensive in India?

Here in Hawaii, where avocados grow in abundance, we donā€™t see is trend at all.

There used to be a place in Dana Point called Mother Natures. I will never forget how they made their quesadillas. They would mash or mix up the avocado and somehow mix it with the cheese and serve it on this delicious toasted tortilla. Iā€™ve never been able to duplicate it.

1 Like