Australian hosts re insurance

I’m about to go down the road of getting quotes from specific B&B insurers in Australia and was interested to know if any local hosts can recommend who you use?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Terri Sheer (short stay insurance)

Hi there in in Aus doing Airbnb, we are already insured through Airbnb can you tell me why I wound need further insurance? :smile:

I found that AAMI will do business home insurance at a reasonable rate. The increase in the annual policy from my normal house and contents insurance to business insurance was $400, not a lot to pay for peace of mind. Maybe I am a bit sceptical but I would rather have certainty that In am covered instead of relying on Airbnb,

Hi

We went via a broker. We pay $400 for the granny flat at home. Even with the broker fee of about $100 we couldn’t find cheaper. Our farm was $900 but that covers more than the accommodation. I wouldn’t do air without public liability insurance as it is not worth the risk.

Thanks for all your replies. Have looked before at the short stay insurance, not interested in that - would spend all my time on the computer getting coverage. Have since read that we are now in Australia covered for up to $1 million per location https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/937/what-is-host-protection-insurance so that takes the heat off. Will still be looking at more comprehensive though as Beth and Shanghai say for peace of mind. Shanghai can I ask who you used? Beth thanks for the AAMI tip.
Cheers

Hi Glad

I will let you know tomorrow. My grand daughter is asleep in my office tonight.

Hi Glad

We use Oxley Insurance Brokers on the North Coast. They go via ASR Underwriters who don’t deal with the public.

Shanghai

Thanks so much Shanghai, really appreciate your trouble.

We are with Terri Sheer.
After doing some research we discovered that hosting guests made our current insurance void so we didn’t want to risk non payout if there was god forbid a fire etc etc.

Also. Proper insurance covers you well above the 1,000,000 for personal liability. If someone hurt themselves the payout can be way above this amount as well as their legal costs.

I personally think it is not worth the risk and seek proper insurance.

Also check that your current home and contents isnt voided with guests staying. I know ours came down to whether we still resided or whether we hired out the whole home.

The Melbourne’s Finest Hosts group have been working with a brokerage who have designed a cover specifically for in-home hosts. In a nutshell the features are:
It’s a top up cover - you keep your existing house & contents insurance;
One off annual premium, usually works out at under $200 per year;
Available to all hosts Australia wide;
Apply online and get covered in minutes;
Underwritten by Lloyds of London

They also have a policy for off site hosts.
Melbourne hosts have been flocking to buy this cover. It’s www.hostriteinsurance.com.au

1 Like

Thanks. Have you been using them Veronica?

HI Glad,
I certainly do use them - I was the first to buy this policy when it was first launched.
I was heavily involved in developing this insurance product (I was trying to solve my own problem as a host), and just recently the brokerage has asked me to run this project for them because of my experience and profile in the Melbourne hosting community. Hosts need help from someone who understand the very specific needs of what we do.

So I am now an authorised representative of Ceneta Insurance Services, and my role is to be the go-to for people needing insurance advice on all things hosting and property related.
Let me know if I can help.

Hi,
I’ve looked into Sheer, Ceneta, EBM, SGIO and my broker before ended up going with GIO.
They were the best price and cover all types of tenancy in their Landlord Property Insurance, which was important to me as I rent both long term and Airbnb at the same address. (I don’t live there)

Be warned, I thought SGIO was going to be fine (verbally from phone operator) until I got my cover note which read “short stay 1-3 months” when I rang to clarify what I had been told over the phone they tried to say “she’ll be right” but once I pushed to have the short stay say “1 day-3 months” they said they couldn’t cover me at all!

Terri Sheer Landlord Insurance cover short term stays.

Yes, but they were a lot more expensive than GIO.

Susan, last time I checked with Terri Sheer for landlord insurance there was a stipulation that you had to be on on site property manager or use a licenced real estate agent. I am not legally qualified to give you advice, but I did find these two clauses in the Product Disclosure Document:

and

Did you see @Veronica’s host above? She says:“The Melbourne’s Finest Hosts group have been working with a brokerage who have designed a cover specifically for in-home hosts. In a nutshell the features are:
It’s a top up cover - you keep your existing house & contents insurance;
One off annual premium, usually works out at under $200 per year;
Available to all hosts Australia wide;
Apply online and get covered in minutes;
Underwritten by Lloyds of London
They also have a policy for off site hosts.
Melbourne hosts have been flocking to buy this cover. It’s www.hostriteinsurance.com.au

1 Like

Just had a look at hostrite, but it only covers in-home and apartments, not houses.
We currently have EBM short stay cover which is over $2k per annum, so just wondering if anyone has an update on who they are using in 2018?

Hi. I have just gone with a company called

BJS Insurance Brokers (Gippsland) Pty Ltd

Office: 129 -131 Graham Street | Wonthaggi | Vic 3995

Phone: (03) 5671 3600 | Fax: (03) 5672 3663

E-mail: jack.keating@bjsib.com.au

The BJS Group also has offices in: Adelaide SA | Brisbane QLD | Mornington VIC | Melbourne VIC | Perth WA | Sydney NSW

I dealt with them on the web only but they do have offices in all the states.

I found it really difficult to get insurance - I live in my airbnb - most insurers said no straight away.

1 Like