Are your guests “different”?

My brain understands but my purse is not happy.

Multiple repeat visit guest. 70-ish man rents 2x a year to attend a dance competition/festival (yes it’s called a shag festival-here’s a link to see the dance style)

He just cancelled his fall reservation and understandably stated he will return when there is a vaccine.

My guests this year are definitely younger

Maybe not this young—junior competition a 7th & 8th grader

4 Likes

Inspiring! Damn but they can dance!

1 Like

I have both kinds of listings: I rent 2 rooms in the house I live in and a stand alone house.

I need to get a sense of who they are, how polite they are, how they express themselves and thus get a feeling whether they are going to be respectful with my house. I absolutely detest people with 0 reviews who want to book my house and instead of introducing themselves they ask “is there AC in the house?”, like I’m their servant or something. You a$$, read the description! Of course I don’t say that and I reply politely but I kind of see these people entitled and I don’t want them in my house.

People who write nice polite message saying who they are and why they come to my house will treat my house with respect

5 Likes

I don’t have a lot of history to compare to, but my June guests have all been younger, as far as I can tell. Last year in June I had a lot of one night stays and quite a few of my guests were closer to middle age and up. I did change my minimum stay requirements for the weekends, but even my week night stays have been 2-3 nights.
One thing I’m noticing is that my phone has pretty much gone quiet this week. For the last 4 weeks it’s been going crazy with Airbnb/VRBO stuff. Now… nothing. I have a booking for this weekend and one over 4th of July and that’s it. I’m wondering if even the younger folks are starting to think twice about traveling.

1 Like

I get a lot of newbie inquiries. I got a lot of bookings and then cancellations too. Like people change their minds. I wonder if I should make my cancellation policy strict

1 Like

Earlier this year, I encountered the same behavior. The cancellation was within the 24-48 hr no fault cancellation period so I’m sure they were “shopping” rentals

I have always had a strict cancellation policy and my prices are generally higher than my competition. My place stays booked up by people who are willing to spend more and make a commitment.

RR

2 Likes

We have the worst guests ever since the past three years. Some are homeless, some are having anxiety issues

My strange humor—I haven’t been a guest but you described me…

1 Like

Agree a lot of younger guests but also young families which I like. The older couple had lots of questions about my cleaning policy and seemed alarmed that I only held 1 full day between bookings. They also wanted to stream a church service and had more trouble with things like the coffee pot. They were gracious but a lot more work! Opposite of your experience

I’ve never had to kick out guest before. This season, my second stay today. Although, I went from just listing my house, to listing his and our shared. Mine doesn’t have exterior cameras, and I don’t feel the need to as my home is in a neighborhood, and we look out for each other. The other two homes are in the woods exterior cameras, on acre parcels, not a lot of full-time people around. I’ve found I really don’t want to ever rent to new people, they don’t read the house rules, even when they say they do. First one, new to Airbnb, I kicked out had more guests stay than what was listed, brought a motor home onsite, as well. We state very clearly 6 guests, no large parties/groups. Thankfully, camera onsite, had to kick out a bunch of men coming off the lake in the afternoon after they had been drinking. Thankfully, they were polite and left as requested. Today, checked cameras and saw 2 minivans and 12+ people, for a booking limited to 4, no large parties/groups. FFS the house is on a septic! She even requested a discount because she is vet. I don’t know if it’s because these 2 homes are remote and people think they can get away with violating rules, or if this is the new normal. I’m might be done with hosting.

I hear you. My December 2019 guest requested a discount because condo priced for occupancy by 4 and it was to be just her. She had 1-3 additional guests in the condo the entire time of her rental. She left a strange negative review.

I now have a ring doorbell so I can monitor guest numbers.

1 Like

If ever any ask for a discount again, I will not accept. I only did because she was a vet. The homes on the acre lots are in Crescent and Crescent Lake, Oregon. Mine is south of Sunriver, Oregon. They do pull guests from different regions. I’m just super flummoxed at flagrant violations. Very thankful for the cameras at the others houses. Just not sure what to do going forward. His house is now up for sale anyway, so his listing is pretty much inactive. He’s very reticent about renting the shared home, which is problematic. Interesting times for sure. Side note, I did leave a very honest review for the men I kicked out, and will be doing the same with the vet and her very large party.

I find that when I say no they drop off anyway.

RR

1 Like

Yep, amazing how a simple, unapologetic “no” leads the discount askers and the entitled “exception just for me” requesters to move on.

2 Likes

I had one today wanted to know could they close the driveway gates so they could let the two “medium sized” dogs run loose. I said no, explained that there are two cabins and they would not have the property to themselves, they went on to ask again saying the other guests would not be bothered. I guess they have the best dogs ever and the other guests would not mind them corralling the dogs so they could drive out? One more no did the trick and I had already pulled the pre approval

RR

RR

2 Likes

Not only do they want an exception made, they somehow know that the other guests, who they don’t know at all, wouldn’t be bothered. Like they know for sure that they aren’t scared of dogs or dislike them. And of course, they won’t be bothered at all by stepping in a pile of dog doo.

3 Likes