Are uk host fees changing?

Hello Everyone,

Question aimed at UK hosts - is the fee charged by AIRBNB being switched over to UK hosts anytime soon - I realise at present i pay 3% but am also aware of chatter that this will increase to 15%

Yes it is. …,

Remember that you are expected to increase your nightly rate by about 12% since the guest fees are now shifted to the host.

Where did this come from, Airbnb say this is not happening

Can you link to information where Airbnb say this isn’t happening?? @Ches

If Airbnb told me the sun rises in the east I’d be up at dawn to check it. :grinning:

The Simplified Pricing model is being rolled out from 7th December. Initially it is only applicable to hosts who connect to their calendars using third party software, like a channel manager, and professional property managers.

If you didn’t get notified, then it’s likely your commission structure will stay the same. That said, I’d be up sharp on the 7th to check it, just in case.

For the majority on here, who don’t use a channel manager etc, it’ll likely be no change, for now. You’ll still be able to choose between split fee, or host only, at least that’s what Airbnb say!

The host-only fee typically ranges from 14% to 16% and is mandatory for hotels and some other hosts. It’s also mandatory for software-connected hosts, unless those hosts have a majority of their listings in the United States, Canada, the Bahamas, Mexico, Argentina, Taiwan, or Uruguay. Airbnb Plus hosts, and hosts who use Super Strict cancellation policies may pay more. The service fee paid by hosts for listings located in Mainland China is 10%.

JF

Not a big fan of Airbnb then

I went through their help and they responded

Great can you take a screen-shot of the advice @Ches?

It would be grateful if someone could link to an AirBnB site which states that this IS or IS NOT happening specifically in the UK and when this is supposed to start.

So my understanding from the replies is that fees will remain the same in the UK for hosts like me with just a couple of spare rooms in my home. My thanks to those who have responded specificially regarding the UK - some of the other responses seem plain muddling !

Actually I think @peter1 - that @JohnF provided the best advice on this. and he’s a Spanish host.

Yes fee structure’s are changing for UK hosts in December (they emailed uK hosts about this a few months back) but apparently some smaller hosts will have the option not to do this.

However it’s likely once the majority of hosts start switching over, others will feel forced to as guests will prefer to book with those not charging them a guest fee.

I just went through all my email @Helsi and there is no mention of this anywhere. I am not doubting that this change is coming but thus far I have not seen any communication and/or web link from AirBnB that confirms this.

I contacted Airbnb CS about this very subject, and received the following:
Hi Susan,
Thanks for getting back to me!
So the only way the fees will change is if you are a hotel host or a software-connected host if there is any further change you will be notified.
Please don’t hesitate to let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with.

All the best
Sean

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Yes @Susanq34

That’s what I indicated above and what they said when they emailed UK hosts earlier this year

The issue for smaller hosts is that guests will then see hosts who cover their fee and those who don’t.

Even if the final outcome is the same in terms of charging - guests will be more likely to go with hosts they see covering their service fee.

(By the way I thought large scale property management companies also had to switch to the no guest commission model)

Thanks for investigating this. Your post brings up much clarity.