Are guests getting stupider?

Why? Why should I have to change a BASIC KEYPAD LOCKING DOOR because YOU think my ONE guest who couldn’t manage to turn a VERY BIG knob to lock the door when he left the house when he was told - three times - that it’s not self locking. He’s also the same guest who has food in his room (saw him carry it out and requested for the fourth time that he put it in the kitchen) and has yet to push a chair in after using it.

My instructions only seem detailed because I’m writing them out. I say “This is the code, it’s the last 4 of the number on file. Enter code, turn knob, click lever to enter. Turn lever to lock behind you when entering house. Door is not self-locking. Must turn knobs/levers.” Honestly, I’ve only ever had to give detailed instructions to 3 out of 50+ guests and this is the only one who doesn’t listen.

Then again, his name is the same as my ex-husband and he doesn’t pay attention, either. Maybe it’s a XXXXX name thing. Yup. Everyone I know with that name doesn’t “mind” others. :wink:

Again, this is the FIRST AND ONLY GUEST to be such an idiot. It’s really not me, now it’s you and him.

He’s needed hand holding from before he actually booked and he seems the sort who has had women fixing his problems for years. Former CFO and can’t navigate basic HR. His first booking was a disaster and he expected me to fix it. I gave him instructions and he’s still not getting what he wants from Air. My new answer is “I’ve told you what to do, just keep escalating and make sure you got the first host to issue a full refund for the stay.”

Yes! Who needs an upset guest who is moving in/out and gets locked out because they didn’t prop open the door? Nope, not me.

Thank you, @JJD Much appreciated.

Agreed.

I figure if standing on the stoop or in the foyer and asking the guests to do the task themselves isn’t enough, then I weep. OK, actually I drink; and I’ve changed from wine to rum (as the local now stocks my favorite).

4 Likes

Now, to be kind, I realize we are gifted, each of us, with varying degrees of intellect. And there’s the “tech” debate we’ve had already. And there’s age…no discrimination here…I’m old and I do forget things/miss the obvious occasionally (be nice, I’m being vulnerable here :sweat_smile:). But I have had at least 3 people, maybe 4, that I had to gently lead AWAY from booking my place because I thought my head would explode trying to clarify every little thing they didn’t seem to understand about booking with Air/staying in a STR. I could not see being on-call for them for several days. NO WAY! :dizzy_face:

7 Likes

Was it Swedes? They’re nuts about squeeging the shower.

1 Like

Exactly. I’m “old” too, and I get it. But seriously. How do some of these people even tie their shoes???

1 Like

Without going into long painful detail—I think they are getting lazier.

When I first started on Airbnb guests were new too. Many tried to become acquainted with how it worked and responded quickly.

Now they expect it to be like the last place they booked. Anything that is different from what they are familiar with, they ignore or try to force. Ex: excess sand, guest unfamiliar with how to use Shark Vacuum, called to ask how, me “is there a card attached to the dust bin? Let’s follow the instructions together. Works? Good.”

Too lazy to read the card labeled HOW TO USE. Found filter mildewed—they used it to pick up something wet!

3 Likes

Watched a “man on the street” demo of asking COLLEGE students about basic life skills. Phones were crazy. Although most businesses used traditional phones (lift handset, dial tone, dial) a shocking number couldn’t do it.

Manual gear shifts were another thing. Most of the younger drivers had no clue.

1 Like

This sounds like too much work & hand-holding to me. I do say in the generic property check-in instructions that the code will be ‘usually the last 4 digits of your cell’. And for each guest simply give them the digits in their check-in email right before arrival, no contextualizing why I chose it. They will recognize the number from somewhere and they have a written / digital copy of it in the notes.

The only reason I mention anywhere that the code is specifically tailored to their own number is to deter potential future burglars from coming back.

1 Like

I give totally random numbers for each stay; for example, the former guest cannot give it to another person after they leave. Reusing numbers are especially problematic when a local stays with you; entry by someone else is easy if they know that the guest had an entry code based on their phone number - soooo easy to use that number as a test code when breaking in… if any ‘old’ entry codes are in your smart lock, then they can be used by anyone nefarious.

1 Like

That’s where this thread started. For over 1000 check ins that was what I did, then when I re-opened in September twice I had guests that just assumed it was their cell number (and not the one on their Airbnb account) and even though I told them what the 4 digit code was it just didn’t register with them. So now I just give them the 4 numbers and don’t reference their phone.

We have done exactly the same, though most of our check-ins are in-person. This gives us the opportunity to provide personal touch. It also allows us to act on any serious last-minute red flags, if needed. So far, not yet but “cigarette in mouth or hand”, “pets or kids in tow”, “extra people”, etc.
We have always liked the “last 4 digits” approach and giving it to them as directly as possible, literally, “Your code is XXXX”. No confusion. EZ-PZ

In the beginning, I would meet the guests but 99 percent of the time they did not show up when they said they would. Airbnb hosting became much easier when I started self check in. I have a lock box with keys on the front porch if I get a message that they can’t figure out how to use the key code.

When I use an Airbnb I prefer self check in. I find it irritating when the hosts want to chat and I just want to get into the space and relax.

3 Likes

As an in-home host, a quick chat is necessary to get them settled so they can relax - and so can I.

2 Likes

And apologies if this is harsh, but when hosts insist on having a chat, I know that it is for them and not for me. But it is not unfair, I understand.

I gave up STRs (stress) but my new long term very sweet renters, in maybe their first post college home, asked me where to buy garbage and recycling bags. To be fair, my own daughter called me as she was walking through grocery store shelves as to which cleaning products to buy (power off in the dorm over break, mini-fridge full of mold, her roommate’s mom’s advice: throw it out) This is a sheltered generation for sure.

1 Like

I live here in NYC; most theaters and restaurants will ask to see vaxx and ID proof. https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/counseltothemayor/downloads/Key-to-NYC-FAQ.pdf
getting crowded again; I kind of liked it empty. Have a great time!!

2 Likes

#1 reason I’m willing to go there and attend indoor events.

3 Likes

I love that my smart lock allows me to set an expiration date and time so the guest code is no longer valid at checkout, as well as I set it to only activate 15 minutes prior to the communicated check-in time. Also, it only allows me to store so many codes so I am forced to delete the expired ones anyway.

4 Likes

never mind… can’t find the delete button

Oh it’s for you (the guest), not me. I’d rather just say “here ya go,” but then the cat gets stuck under the bed, they don’t lock the door behind them, someone decides to try and stand on a dock that is posted “Don’t go here,” and the list goes on.

Five minutes, tops, and it’s all covered, folks can close the pocket door (sans cat under bed), and I can toddle of to my side of the house.

2 Likes

Really?

Theoretically, if I was a self-centered guest, why would any of those things bother me? It sounds like a bunch of stuff that would bother a host :wink:

Personally, I would rather die than be impolite to someone in their own home so I would be respectful of your chat, but I still know that the chat is for you. And I would certainly require a similar chat if I were hosting a room inside my home, so like I said before, it is totally fair.