Are guests getting stupider?

I have neighbors who make me want to move but I can’t really afford to leave this house. Thankfully they seem to quiet down periodically for a few weeks or months and I calm down as well.

Hope these tenants move away sooner than later.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I know from a neighbor that’s super nice, that they’ve been here for 6 years. The only one that’s really impacted on this dead end is me, big distance to next neighbor. The renter’s husband was so nice, but they split up and it’s she and the boyfriend that are horrible.

Going to give it till spring, I don’t expect anything to change at this point then I’m probably going to move on. It’s too stressful.

I had fantasies in my early 20’s of living in Vermont, but ended up in WA. I probably couldn’t afford Vermont now, but that’s where I’m going to look.

1 Like

This whole post was about guests stupidity. If it worked for 1000 guests then why is it now not working? Also, I don’t require guests to memorize, I provide the number too.

3 Likes

About 10 years ago I had horrible neighbors move in. To the point where they were calling the police on me and accusing me of things like being a sexual predator, trying to run down kids with my car, among other accusations. The police would not listen to me, my other neighbors or even look at photographic evidence. They even had a friend book my airbnb so that they could complain about me. (Tried to get me shut down for having tape on a smoke alarm but alas, I was able to prove that I had more than the required smoke alarms and Airbnb backed me up. It got so bad that I was parking in my back driveway and entering my home via the back door.

I finally had it and realized I was allowing myself to be bullied and made an appointment with the chief of police. I found out that the entire family has a long list of complaints against them. Once I stood up to them and the Chief got involved, the harassment stopped and they moved a few years later.

2 Likes

Back when I was out doing tours in the middle of the day and guests used self check-in, there was NO way I was going to have a lock where guests could easily lock themselves out, or the door frame was damaged by the bolt because an airhead didn’t notice the lock had locked while the door was open.

I still don’t want one that locks automatically, nor do I want one that needs a phone app. I’m happy to enter the code if it’s locked.

2 Likes

But that wasn’t @casailinglady 's experience. She said:

No need to

Because of one person in 4 years.

2 Likes

A smart lock that is not a deadbolt lock is your answer.

https://shop.remotelock.com/collections/lever

Yes of course not. But the conversation we are having is not really about that one person, but how a host can mitigate things by considering what a guest assumes is the ‘right way’. Yes, as a host you have to decide what is realistic, but many times the gusts show you the way. It’s easy to see that if guests continually slam your doorframe with a deadbolt that is not retracted, the solution is to remove that possibility.

My daughter says humanity is devolving.

Yes, I see evidence that people are getting stupider. And while the age of the internet has allowed people access to information in mere seconds, that you’d think would make them smarter, there’s a dark side to it that I think is a huge contributing factor to an increase in perceived stupidity.

People are now so used to Googling something instead of taking a few minutes to think or observe, that they now think asking immediately when something isn’t obvious or familiar to them is the first thing to do.

And we live in a throw-away culture where professions like shoe repair and tailoring are no longer as ubiquitous as they once were. You don’t get your shoes fixed, you toss them and buy a new pair. Young people aren’t taught how to use basic tools, or basic life skills. They can keyboard at incredible speed, but they don’t know how to change a lightbulb.

There’s a series of youtube videos where they stop young people on the street (20- mid 30s range) and ask them to do some task set up on a table. One I watched they had a gallon paint can and several tools on the table- a screwdriver, a pair of pliers, a chisel, a hammer, etc.
The “man on the street” is asked, “So do you know how to open a paint can?”

The results are hilarious and pathetic. First of all, the verbal answers are usually a kind of uncomfortable laugh and an “I think so, yeah”. Then you see them looking over the array of tools dubiously and they’ll pick up the pliers and try to grab the tiny lip of the paint can lid and pull it up. Some tried the hammer and chisel.

Even if they grabbed the flat head screwdriver, instead of prying the lid up all the way around until it pops off, they just stick it under one spot and keep trying to pry the lid off.

So yes, while IQ levels may not be dropping, practical intelligence seems to be.

11 Likes

Sorry, it was the conversation I was having. Both @casailinglady and the OP described situations that were unusual or new with guests. But, that explains our different POVs then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see the police or city code enforcement at one offending neighbor several times a year. I’ve never made a report about them so obviously I’m not the only one on the street that doesn’t care for them. A newish neighbor works for the city so maybe he has some pull.

The other neighbor has had problem dogs for the entire time he’s lived here (since 1997). He’s a nice guy but I hate his dogs.

If I win the lottery or get an inheritance, I’m outta here.

3 Likes

There’s a little rental house behind me that gets frequent changeover of tenants, like about once a year. The back wall of that house is 3 meters from my back wall. The folks who just moved in, a young couple from Uruguay seem really nice and they are very quiet.

And there was a nice guy from Vancouver I became friendly with who I loved having there- he was a fantastic sax player and I had my own live music right there. He only played at reasonable times of day, never early or late.

But there was the couple who had a major screaming fight that went on for an hour at 2 am within hours of moving in, who also blasted their music, the guy who seemed to have the police at his door on a monthly basis, and the guy with giant pit-bull type dog who he left locked in the house for 8 hours a day that literally never stopped barking, whining, and howling the entire time, stopping only for a minute to gear up for more, and the woman who liked to hammer things at 4am.

Where most people live, you need a deadbolt to make a door secure. All of my outside doors have deadbolts, and that’s not changing.

2 Likes

I have learned that whatever reads very clearly to me after I wrote it sometimes reads quite differently to the intended reader. Consequently, I’ve rewritten things many times in my decade of hosting. There are debates on this forum occasionally regarding whether posted signs and instruction are tacky or necessary. Most strive for a balance. I veer toward excessive instructions and signage on everything including electronics, bathroom fixtures, locks, etc. I print them and frame or laminate as appropriate. Signs and messages don’t always register. For example, people constantly fiddle with the lockbox after I message them that I have left the door unlocked for them. I agree with other hosts that people are distracted. They also seem to only read or listen to brief instructions. Hosts seem to just need a high threshold for frustration.

And, I’m the opposite, very few signs about anything. :grinning:

Why? Because as a guest I don’t like all information around the place I’m staying.

I cancelled an Air reservation because once I booked I get the house rules. Not my style including how to use the squeegee on the glass shower doors and a sink/shower faucet that was so complex there were instructions on how to turn it on.

I knew one of my friends that was going to be there would freak out. I changed bookings.

1 Like

Also as a host, you should know that you can review the house rules on the listing prior to booking.

My house rules have a long list but most don’t pertain to everyday folks but Airbnb will only back you up if it’s in the house rules. I’ve had to add things like no hair dying, no spray tanning, no guns unless required by your job and to show proof. Unimportant to most folks but it’s there because of Airbnb.

6 Likes

Not sure about when you booked this, but since 2015 all guests are required to agree to the house rules before their booking can go thru. Candidly, folks who book WITHOUT reading the house rules are the folks who write reviews like “I wanted to wash my clothes but there was no washing machine available” or “my friend couldn’t figure out how to use the shower” and consider house rules an inconvenience… They are high maintenance guests, not good…

5 Likes

Not sure on the app but on computer just scroll down to find the house rules. Yeah, it would be nice if they were more front and center but frankly the entire Airbnb booking process and reading all the crap hosts write is cumbersome so…

I suspect @zillacop may be referring to the house manual, as opposed to the house rules.

JF

4 Likes

Actually it was just recently. And, I guess what I was referring to weren’t “the rules”, just additional information about the rental that wasn’t shown before I booked.

@JohnF Yes, thank you, house manual!

Last time I really used a lot of Air was 4 years ago, things have gotten too complicated.

I did use Air a few times when looking for houses in this area, don’t remember any manuals telling you how to turn on the water.

2 Likes