Anyone only buy flat sheets?

Hey all! Wondering if anyone with a few properties have invested in all flat sheets instead of any fitted sheets? Seems like it would make things easier to sort and as I have had to replace only the fitted sheets a few times (gross, don’t ask). Makes it more interchangeable.

So if you have all queen sized beds should I just get king size flat sheets as to be able to tuck for the bottom sheet and still use the same ones for the top sheet too… right?

2 Likes

Well, I can tell you that when I sleep, I can’t stand the top sheet tucked in anywhere, I would pull it out from under the mattress. So if that caused the bottom sheet to come loose as well, so it moved around, that wouldn’t so great.

2 Likes

I buy king flat sheets when on serious special and make my own fitted queen size sheets. The elastic on the corners lasts so much longer.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why it makes a lot of difference? Personally I find fitted easier.

I have only two rentals but the important thing for me is to use the same colour/size/fitted in both apartments so that they are interchangeable.

3 Likes

This way we can just have a bunch of interchangeable sheets (and buy them in bulk+easier to fold) and if a top sheet or bottom sheet has to be tossed we won’t have to worry about incomplete sets since any of the extra sheets can easily subbed in. It’s what nearly all hotels do :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Our 2-bedroom apts each have a Queen size bed and a Full/Double size bed. For the Queen, we put a Queen fitted sheet and a Queen flat sheet. For the Full/Double, we use two flat Queen sheets. So, we only buy Queen flats and Queen fitteds and it is probably one of the best decisions we made when we opened up, it’s so much simpler.

It really only works well to use two flat sheets if they are a size larger than the bed. If you have only Queen beds, you could pull it off by buying only King sheets (like nice hotels). I definitely don’t recommend using a Queen flat sheet as the bottom sheet on a Queen bed, it’ll pull out and be annoying and gross (like cheap hotels). The only thing is that Kings cost significantly more, so it may or may not be worth it to you, depending on your situation.

I was so worried about that issue when we made the choice to use the Queen flats for the bottom sheets on the Full/Double! I absolutely can’t stand a sheet coming out like that and I also untuck the top sheet to sleep. I bought these “sheet suspenders” in case it was a problem, but after 300+ guests, the bottom sheet has never been untucked even when the top sheet was and even when the rest of the bed looked like it had a really good time. The trick seems to be to go up a size.

4 Likes

Just waiting for this to be added to the Kettle, Duvet/comforter, towel colour debates!

4 Likes

Uh oh, didn’t realize this was so contentious lol

2 Likes

We can create contention over any aspect of hosting :laughing:

2 Likes

I sure like my kettle, heats the water right up

RR

1 Like

I use fitted sheets since it makes it much tidier and the guests don’t rip them off. But they do tend to remote the top sheet for some reason or it gets crumpled. But whether it’s my queen bed is a bit large or the sheets have shrunk, I have no moved to king size flat sheets to make the fit easier.

Do you have instructions on that? Several high-quality fitted sheets have lost their elasticity and I was wondering if I could repair them.

1 Like

I use 4 lengths of good elastic, around 30 - 36 inches and about 1/4 inch wide.
I fold the length of elastic in half and pin at the fold at the corner seam of the fitted sheet
I stretch the elastic and use the zig zag stitch on my sewing machine to stitch it on.
Repeat on all 4 corners.
Hangs on like grim death!

4 Likes

Are these sheets for your St Lucia place? If so, I don’t know why, but elastic seems to lose its oomph really quickly in the tropics. I don’t know if it’s the heat or humidity or a combination of the two, but elastic never stretched out limp so fast in my sheets and underwear when I lived in Canada as here in Mexico.

Do whatever works best for you. We don’t use top sheets in Europe, we use duvets so the whole concept seems strange to us :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We’re in Europe and we do.

For six or seven months of the year that’s all we provide.

JF

1 Like

Yes, they are the St Lucia sheets. And I agree - lots of things “lose their oomph” faster in the Tropics!

1 Like

Here in El Paso it’s the same. It’s too hot for a duvet. I put a top sheet and then a light top cover. There are blankets in a closet if anyone needs one.

You’d swelter under a duvet 6 months of the year where I live.

I’ve also read posts from guests who stayed in Europe and had a terrible sleep in the summer because the duvet was too hot and there was no top sheet provided as an alternative.

1 Like

Well you all are lucky! Here in upstate NY we like all the blankets and duvets :snowflake:

1 Like