Anyone only buy flat sheets?

Hey @HudsonNY! I’d be happy to connect on this and share what we’ve learned at washbnb.

Sounds like the hosts weren’t using a light summer duvet @muddy

I do provide guests with a spare sheet in the summer in case they prefer to just use that. None of them ever have so they must be happy with the summer duvet.

It rarely gets super hot where I live.

I have had guests remove the actual duvet and use the cover as a sheet.

We’ve had a run of exceptionally hot summers in Northern Europe. I loved leaving only the duvet covers on the beds, including our own; not fighting to put the duvets inside the covers for weeks was an absolute treat! I simply left throws out that people could use if they felt chilly in the early hours.

Some of you know we are “stuck” in Portugal, and have been since mid Jan. We’ve stayed in a variety of places, both Airbnb and BDC, until a friend offered us her villa, given she’s stuck in the UK.

Oh how I’ve laughed, reflecting on the many diverting threads over the years about duvets, top sheets, flat or fitted bottom sheets;-

Apartment 1: tucked in duvet. Why?
Apartment 2: owned by a Brit, with flat sheet under the duvet, all tightly tucked in. Ghastly.
Apartment 3: double bed, two single duvets, not tucked in. Brilliant.
Apartment 4: top sheets, duvets, all tucked in.

Friend’s villa: this is the weirdest. We’re paying a peppercorn rent to look after the place, but her manager set it up before we moved in, and showed us what’s what.

So I stripped our bed yesterday to do laundry etc. We had already swapped the duvet for a lighter weight one we found in another room, and had never used the electric blanket. I found one mattress cover of dubious plasticity (this is an ex nurse speaking…) on top of the electric blanket, followed by two single duvets, followed by another mattress cover of marginally less dubious plasticity, and a fitted sheet that for obvious reasons, didn’t fit.

We had our first comfortable night’s sleep last night. I was beginning to feel I was undergoing a second menopause :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

What you consider extremely hot must not be anywhere near as hot as it gets where I live, because a throw would be way too hot here in the summer-anything heavier than a light cotton sheet would be much too hot.

Europeans who have never experienced the heat of places like El Paso TX remind me of how woefully unprepared I was when I went to England and Scotland in June 1979. So cold!

2 Likes

Am I the only person in the airbnb world that has heat in the winter and a/c in the summer? Just because the weather outside is warmer or colder than, say, 70 degrees F, is there a need to change the bed linens? In my airbnb, the temperature is pretty constant…

2 Likes

I have heat and cooling but there’s not constant temp in my house. In winter I often have my part of the house at 68-70F. In the heat of summer it’s impossible to get it that cool with my evaporative system (swamp cooler). When it does get down to 75 or so in my house it starts to seem chilly to me.

My Airbnb guests have a vent from the swamp cooler/heat into their room but they also have a window AC and a wall heater. I don’t know what temp most guests try to keep it in there. Some guests run the AC when I think they don’t need to, other don’t run it and I wonder why they aren’t hot.

Nevertheless I thought it was universal to have heavier bed linens in winter than summer.

So you have either the heat or the AC on all the time?

I have an HVAC system that keeps the temp inside within 2 degrees of the setting.

Yes I offer a top sheet as an alternative in the summer to a very light summer duvet but I don’t offer both @JohnF

Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing. Make the beds how it suits you.

2 Likes

I have double and king size beds and I find storage of fitted sheets really difficult once ironed. I suggested to my cleaner that I got huge flat sheets that would fit all beds and she said she hated making beds up with flat sheets - so I can’t, but would if she had welcomed it!

1 Like

My listing is also in Europe (Slovenia) and I prefer to use fitted sheets + duvets on my two-mattress king-size bed. I never had any complaint from my guests - actually many of them found the bed super comfortable.

That is why I always have extra sheets, blankets and duvets.

that is very easy for you to use fitted sheets, i am also using fitted sheets.