Anyone get a card from a past guest?

Heard the work phone ping, and got all excited!

Bah. An email:

:heart: Your guest, Cxxxx, has sent you a card!

This was followed by a short message. We hosted this particular guest in 2018.

Are we seeing a charm offensive by Airbnb towards hosts, where they are utilising past guests?

JF

2 Likes

Got the invitation to send previous hosts I had stayed with, a happy card… unlikely they would want to hear from me - the stays weren’t good…:grinning:

4 Likes

I received one also and later in the day I received from Airbnb the opportunity of sending cards to hosts from my travels from two years ago. I wish Airbnb would give hosts a heads up on these things and give us the oppotunity to opt out. I can see sending a thank you card after check out but months or years later seems silly to me. Also guests pay good money for their stays, so there is no need for a thank you card since their stay was not a gift.

2 Likes

My feeling also.

JF

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with engaging past guests imo, good business. Although it should come from the host not Air

RR

2 Likes

I have not seen one of these. We exchange private emails from our guests whom we would like to see again or stay in touch with. I have reached out to them to see how they were faring during COVID19 and a few have reached out to us. I don’t see this type of note as a thank you, but a check-in. When all the COVID chaos started we were particularly worried about some repeat guests from Italy and have been in touch every few weeks. They gave us some good tips about how to say safe since they dealt with this early on.

2 Likes

Exactly. It has the same whiff as the digital begging bowl that they announced a while back.

I much prefer to be in control of our post stay marketing, mainly because we do it outside of Airbnb.

JF

1 Like

I haven’t gotten one or a notice to send one. I’ve gotten Christmas cards from a couple of past guests. I did think about messaging my host from last summer’s trip but didn’t. In any case I don’t have the same negativity towards it or the “begging bowl.” I’m indifferent towards them.

No I opted out both of asking guests to subsidise my business and send me a card :grin:

4 Likes

I’ve not gotten the online card but over the last 2 weeks I’ve had several past guests (from Canada, Seattle, Massachusetts, NY) reach out to inquire how things are.

Arizona has been in the news of late (with spikes of Covid19) so I assume it caused many of these guests to send their best wishes and thoughts of concern.

I thought is was very kind of them. As they say: “we’re in this together

2 Likes

I opted out of the “contributions” begging bowl, but where did you find an option to opt out of the cards? According to Airbnb, we couldn’t opt out of that.

I haven’t seen the cards as either a host or a guest. Maybe it is in only certain areas?

Past guests have sent us cards, but just personal greeting cards or notes.

Mine showed to opt out for both @muddy in the same place.

Not on mine, it’s opting out of guest donations only, no mention of cards.

JF

I do not see a place to opt out, @Helsi must be a super duper host

I just got one, I did not respond.

RR

1 Like

No just one in the UK - probably cos of European GDPR legislation … mr sarcie :grin::blush::rofl:

I didn’t know anything about them until yesterday when I received one from a delightful family from Peking whom we hosted last July. It had a lovely long message from them and I was very happy, and in fact, rather proud, to have received it. Personally, I don’t see it as a problem at all.

Although I must confess, I too Goyt a little excited thinking it was a possible booking request when my phone pinged :grinning:

2 Likes

Hadn’t thought much about it, but yes, I got a card like this last month from a former guest.