Amenity unavailable

Our shower is acting up and may be unavailable. Should I contact all guests and tell them they can shower (pictured) in our house, 50 yards away?

I would want the option to cancel with a full refund. Showering in a different home is not ok IMHO.

13 Likes

Yes, definitely contact your guests! To me, a shower is an essential amenity. If I turned up at a property and was told that the shower was broken and I’d need to go to another house to shower, I’d be angry and annoyed.

I would also offer refunds to anyone who wishes to cancel. This is the kind of amenity that people have the right to expect and depend on having.

4 Likes

Thank you for your replies!!!
just fyi,
Our listing is a Glamping site, a trailer, that is on the same 1 acre as house surrounded by open space. It’s not like you are leaving or getting out on a sidewalk with a towel…

1 Like

To me, that wouldn’t matter. Glamping or not, if a shower is listed as an amenity in your listing information, to me, it’s an essential amenity that people will expect to have. If you’re no longer able to offer it, your guests should be offered the option to cancel their stay and get a full refund.

5 Likes

I agree with others you definitely need to inform guests, offer them a discount if they stay and a full refund if they choose to cancel (use extenuating circumstance for penalty free cancellations).

3 Likes

How would I do a discount? Through res. center? I am starting to contact guests now. The ones I have just had have been great about all this, but I think it’s a good idea to give a discount to them, and let the others make their informed choices.

1 Like

On the last morning of a guests stay we had an issue with the hot water. He had a 6 yr old with him so I offered my very cool claw foot tub to take his bath. The guest declined.
In hindsight if it had been a day earlier we would of refunded one days stay.
As much as we all try to resolve issues quickly it’s better to let the guests decide.

2 Likes

I believe through the Resolution Centre. @gypsy I would definitely do this as Airbnb can knock off I believe up to 50% for a key amenity being missing, so much better offering a discount you feel comfortable with.

Offer the discount on a daily basis maybe post stay so if it gets fixed earlier you don’t have to pay out? How long is it out of action for/

1 Like

I don’t know how long. I am getting my builder plumber out here asap. My next guest 1 night says all ok in writing. After him is 2 nights from Australia, I have written them. It’s likely to involve some bathroom disruption and work under the trailer to do it right.

I’m so bummed. :anguished:I have a list of 10 stays coming up. Mostly 1 night each. Thank you for all your replies!

I think it would be best to have Airbnb relocate them.

1 Like

You could perhaps do a special offer, but having never done so in these circumstances, I’m not sure. But someone else will!

But this is glamping? So what about a solar powered outdoor shower?

1 Like

this is the response from the Australia guests<><> Happy!!
“Thanks so much for letting us know. As long as there is a shower we can use we’re not at all stressed about the one in the trailer, we really are looking forward to our stay with you! Thanks again”

5 Likes

Maybe it is time to build an outdoor shower? I am going to open up a 68 Airstream in a couple of months, but they will have access to a bathroom and kitchen just a few steps away that is shared by my office. I do not want them using the trailer bathroom it is too quirky for guests! I think it will be win win, no cramped showers, no cooking in the trailer:) I am also setting up an outside kitchen area with a BBQ and pizza oven.

RR

Oh! River that sounds so nice!! I can’t wait to see how it looks! Is bbq safe where you are??

Yeah Yeah Yeah We just on the 12th try got the clogged drain open:))) But there is still a repair needed underneath.
One of the reasons for no outside shower yet is that its all set up with exit water systems that have functioned great, until now.

Also it would have to be built and it would be quite visible. we could just hang the flexible hand held shower head out the window… haha into the parking area…

1 Like

Very nice:) The Airstream has a rear bath and the ceiling height drops there, so even though it has a bathtub and shower it’s not that comfortable. The new bathroom and kitchen I am building will serve my office and the future glamping listings. Yes you can have a propane BBQ here but not charcoal, the pizza oven is propane as well.

RR

1 Like

I chose my trailer partly because of the midship bath, not to mention rear sleeping, for larger bed. What model Airstream ft. do you have? Of course everyone thinks mine’s an Airstream. Did you see the Spartan and the Airfloat in Once upon a Time in Hollywood?

1 Like

@gypsy

I think you handled it perfectly. I had a similar situation with guests that had already arrived. I’ve posted it before (see attached). You’ve covered your bases with them, but you might try someway to compensate them for the inconvenience, just to demonstrate that you appreciate their understanding.

1 Like

26’ 1968 Land Yacht international series. I bought it in 1993, it is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has gone UP in value! We call her the Queen Mary. As much as I have enjoyed pulling her around the US, Mexico and Canada she is now 51 years old which is OLD for a trailer! Old trailers require work, things need constant attention when on the road. It can take the fun out of a trip when you discover a water line froze since last used or some such thing. I am looking forward to putting her in one spot and accepting the income she will provide in her semi retirement! There are two projects ahead of setting the QM up for a listing, the office bathroom and kitchen is one of them. Hopefully by late Fall…

RR

3 Likes

COOL!!! What a great story! Perfect model size for camping AND hosting:) 26’ incl tongue ?? You are giving her a good life of adventure and now rest with friends. I love the name btw<><> Do you think you can use that name in your listing Title?? Hope So! I looked at pictures -do you have an awning? Or will you build a shade structure?

Check out our listing when you have time. (Tiny Tiki Retro Hideaway 1954 Spartan Manor 24’ no tongue incl) I put a ton of time, detail and thought into guests ultimate enjoyment and it seems to be paying off quite nicely.

Good luck! We should trade nights, aren’t you in Idylwild? Will your trailer Zone have a view?

1 Like