Am I required to provide body soap for guests?

The ones I got on Amazon in January 2016 were these. Though they were more expensive but I still have about 170+ out of 200 3+ years later. And that’s hosting at least 100 people a year. I’ll be dead before I could use 500.

1 Like

KKC: I agree 500 mini-soaps are too many for my modest two-bedroom rental unit. But the unit cost was worth it.

If we have too many unused soaps years from now, I suggest donating them to a local homeless shelter.

1 Like

Sounds like the “cost” is about the same. But a whole place with tourists as the primary market probably uses them faster.

This is what we use…https://www.amazon.com/ECO-AMENITIES-Travel-1-1oz-hotel/dp/B00Y07ZTDW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=222T55Q4WUNSZ&keywords=eco+body+wash&qid=1555987494&s=gateway&sprefix=eco+body%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-3

It works out to .15 a tube for 288. We do have 5 rooms plus a whole home so we do go thru about 500 or so a year depending on how busy we are.

We used to use the bar soaps which are a bit cheaper at .13 a bar but it seems like we had a lot of waste so we switched to the tubes and have very little waste now.

I should make clear that I provide liquid “body soap” in the shower and I put these in a drawer with other toiletries they are welcome to use. 99% of my guests use that and don’t touch the bar soap. Used bar soap left behind doesn’t get wasted though.

1 Like

Either way, just too much single use plastic.

5 Likes

Exactly. This is why I use the large bottles of body wash. I’d hate to get a lower rating for missing bar soap sometime though. Been thinking about getting a few small single-use bars and putting one under each sink with the extra toiletries and see if they ever get used.

1 Like

The empties go into our recycling bin… :). We have recycling bins for plastics and cardboard. We have no glass recycling here… :frowning:

Recycling is good, avoiding is even better.
Unfortunately there is not much recycling going on where I live and we have probably have done too much beach cleanup …of single use water bottles etc …
but this is truly inspiring. Had a few little turtles hatch on ‘our’ beach a month ago.

3 Likes

It’s a bit misleading I agree but seeing as it’s such a nominal amount to put forth, I agree that it’s a requirement.

I don’t travel with body wash. I expect it to be provided.

As others have said, use the pumps and refill after each guest. So easy.

Personally, our listing is an acquired, rustic sort of taste so I ensure that there is nothing fiddly or minor that guests can complain about so they aren’t totally put off or allowed any room for fussing and marks docked in the review.

I am curious about the one use soap bars though. For those of you that provide those, do you bin the half used ones upon checkout? I would think this such a waste! I keep several little hotel bottles and refill them. Yes, it’s a pain in the ass. Yes, it takes some time. But that is my reflective me time that I spend deep in personal reflection by myself in the suite. I kind of like it.

I also provide chocolates on their pillows, hotel sewing kits, pristinely folded washcloths and good quality body lotion.

At my rental they are hardly used, and sometimes they just get taken as I can’t find the soap or wrapper. I take the partially used ones and use them for myself personally. The fact that they’ve been used for someones nether regions doesn’t bother me though I just use it as hand soap.

2 Likes

On that website is an even cheaper option at $41.99/500 0.8 oz. individually wrapped bars. The brand is much less known but seems an even better deal.

Yep, soap is soap. Guest can do what they want with it (as long as it’s legal :wink: )

3 Likes

You have a filthy mind… :wink:

JF

1 Like

Hence the need for a new kind of soap…mind soap! :wink:. Best to have multi purpose soap for all the different uses…:ok_hand:

3 Likes

Don’t you bloody start!

One’s enough…

:wink:

JF

2 Likes

For the clueless guest:

5 Likes

I’ll bet you’ve just been waiting for a suitable topic to post that one…

JF

3 Likes

I was looking for “smart ass soap…” I’m envisioning a chip in it that notifies you when it needs replacing. It can also double as the perfect gift for certain someones in your life.

Reckon we’re about three or four replies away from a closed topic here.

JF

1 Like