Am I Justified in Being Very Annoyed?

I actually found the opposite. I had a clock with USB charger and Bluetooth in my own bedroom that I never used, so I put it in the master bedroom of my listing, but one guest unplugged it (not an easy thing to do) and another set it on the floor facing the wall. I assumed they didn’t like the light, but I also read about cameras hidden in alarm clocks, so that could be another reason. Plus, some guests apparently still want to use their own charger (I know this because a charger was left behind in the wall behind the nightstand), so they still need a convenient AC outlet, which my clock didn’t have.

3 Likes

Long before I ever became a host, I would not get under the covers in even the best hotel. The same reason that the carpets are mud brown, and the lights tend to be low. Horrible.

Around here, we might well skip the duvet covers these days, but everything is washed and sterilized. It helps to have extra blankies nice and clean, rolled up and tied, and wrapped and stored carefully,

I have two of those, one of either side of the guest bed.

Based on how often at least one is pulled away from the wall, I assume the feature is being used.

1 Like

Though not to have outlet close to bed is annoying …it’s still guests responsibility to be sure he/ she is taken care off when it comes to allergies or disabilities . Ask…very simple. I like guests who ask . Be sure before you go to bed and host is still awake check if you can operate any equipment. I hosted few guests with breathing machines and other equipment and they for sure asked me if they needed anything.
Regarding washing bedspreads…you are right …hotels don’t wash covers with each guests…and so majority of hosts dont wash comforters or bedspreads with each one nighter . I stayed in many houses where I was asked to start laundry often but only sheets . Not one host asked me to wash bedspread.

1 Like

I’m a Boomer too and I don’t come onto a forum and insult other posters when I get opinions I don’t like.

9 Likes

I’ve had two guests leave it facing down on the bedside table but I assumed it was to block the light. These same guests also turned off the air purifier in the living room.

It’s weird to me that all these people are happy to have Facebook and Google recording and selling every tiny detail of their lives but at the same time are so paranoid they think their Airbnb hosts are spying on them from every electronic device.

8 Likes

We’re annoying but with good intentions.
A lot of people use C-PAP.
A lot of people use anti-depressants.

Both of them are related to medical conditions that are none of your business. Airbnb is really ban-happy with all the bad press recently; someone WILL complain to Airbnb when you quiz them on their medical devices.

We might be know-it all’s, but because we’ve seen a lot and hope others can avoid similar mistakes.

p.s. I also wash my duvet covers every single time. I don’t care what hotels do. I want clean bedding when I travel, so that’s what my guests get.

7 Likes

I’m also a Boomer and I would never insult my younger guests or fellow hosts by saying their opinions are “goofy.” I clean to a degree better than hotels at any point in time.

I clean everything after every guest. Quilts, duvet and duvet cover(winter months), blankets, top sheet, bottom sheet, mattress protector and memory foam mattress cover. Towels (if in the bathroom and look unused, they still get washed), bath mats, rugs… Even one night stays, which I get a lot of.

So… that’s goofy?

The feedback on this forum is not for the faint of heart. Like feedback from guests - don’t take it personally, but do take in the years of advice and learn from it - even if it’s mistakes that you’re learning from.

The folks here have taught me so much in the time I’ve been here. True caring and a wealth of freely given information. <3

6 Likes

Ok Boomer…

2 Likes

Can I boil eggs in the kettles? Asking for a friend…

5 Likes

I’m going to start scouring the listings I book trying to determine if those bed covers are bedspreads, comforters, quilts or duvets. :wink:

3 Likes

Just cotton quilts or cotton duvet covers with down alternative duvets here, with additional blankets and pillows. :wink:

1 Like

In order to separate the wheat from the chaff, ask the host before booking if they launder everything …

However I am afraid you will be sorted into the difficult guest box and declined promptly.

9 Likes

But in this case I think that of the host DOESN’T wash everything she wouldn’t book anyways so it would be a moot point.

1 Like

I book instant book places 99% of the time. And I wouldn’t actually ask because it doesn’t bother me personally if it’s not laundered each time. I have a very high tolerance for dirt…for myself. What does bother me is that someone would post about not doing it and then double down when challenged. It’s not good practice to do it and it’s just downright dumb to argue in favor of it on a public forum. The standard I set for my guest’s comfort is very high and if people feel threatened by that, IDGAF.

7 Likes

If someone put in their profile that they “don’t wash everything, just like the 5 star hotels 30 years ago,” no I wouldn’t book with them. But I’ve probably stayed in Airbnbs where not everything is laundered between guests and it’s fine. However I’m not going to be staying with any older lady in Oregon berry country with two rooms and bedspreads. And I’m not welcome there anyway. LOL.

7 Likes

Sorry, no. At least one outlet next to the bed is expected. One per side is better!
FYI, we have top sheets and we do wash the comforter after every stay.

It seems that all this might have been prevented by a few $1 extension cords from the “inaccessible outlet” to the sides of the bed …

MOST problems happen due to communication or expectation issues.

This is your opportunity to talk with your guests, understand their needs, apologize for the issue and THANK THEM for bringing it to your attention so that you can continue to improve and make your stay better all the time.

2 Likes

I’ve had to add outlets by the beds in a few of my properties, I recommend you get the ones that include USB ports as well. I get a lot of positive feedback on them, and as a frequent traveller I also find them incredibly convenient.

1 Like

This (and most of the responses here) assume that the reason the guest is sleeping on the couch in the common area is because they couldn’t plug in their C-PAP. IF that is the reason then certainly increasing the convenience of access to plugs would help (and regardless this might be a very smart move!). However, if the guest is doing it because they normally sleep on the couch at home or because they or their roommate snore, or one wanted to sleep before the other…you will never know until asking, and then certainly address the inappropriateness of it no matter what the reason, and the necessity of communicating their wants and needs.

4 Likes

It’s a very wasteful practice to wash " absolutely everything" of the bed.
Why you wash matress protectors after each guest? Matress protectors are covered by fitted sheet. If you find after guest leaves that he actually slept on that sheet…then why to wash it?