Am I Justified in Being Very Annoyed?

It does come off that way sometimes, especially to new folks because many of us have been doing this a while (I’m still a relative new by at just 3.5 years with AirBnB…although decades with STR (shared home) and LTR experience. Take note and then feel free to post again. Even those of us who are very opinionated and express it often are really trying to help (most of the time - ignore the times it’s obviously not).

6 Likes

I’m aware that hotels don’t (or often don’t) wash everything after each guest, and I find that very offputting. I’ve seen too many shows of the hotel inspectors going into what are supposed to be clean hotel rooms with the light they use (black light?) and finding disgusting stains on bedding, shower curtains, and more.

We make sure that everything on each of our beds and in each of our bathrooms is washed for every guest.

We intend to be far cleaner than hotels, and our guests appreciate it. Many have commented to us that they find the lack of cleanliness in even high-end hotels unappealing; they choose our place instead.

4 Likes

Too cold where I live and is unnecessary and environmentally wasteful to put quality bedspreads in the washer 4x a week. I have top sheets on the bed. What cooties are you so afraid of?

This topic really opened up my eyes. Here I am, crawling under the bed replugging in the lights to the switched socket after every guest, and what I really need is a device on the night stand they can plug into. How did I not think of that! Thank you!

10 Likes

Okay. I might post again someday. No big favor to anyone else. I’m a Boomer and can be impatient with younger people’s goofy opinions. ;)(wink wink).

1 Like

@Oreberry, that’s why we use all cotton bedding. Mattress pad, pillow protectors, sheets, blanket, and coverlet. It’s all easily washable.

I’m a Boomer, too. A lot of us here probably are. I’m sorry you didn’t like the feedback you got here.

This is a typical discussion on this forum: lots of opinions, some humor, occasional disagreements sometimes ideas out of left field, sometimes inspiration. I just read through the answers that get posted, digest as much as I need, and take the suggestions that sound the best. I end up getting a lot of good info. I hope you’ll do that, too.

3 Likes

Wow, I’m surprised at your response. I said exactly:

It is an opinion. You did come here and ask for opinions. I’ve worked in healthcare for 30 years and can’t help but be informed by experience. People typically expect privacy regarding medical needs. I’m not a know-it-all but I am particularly well-informed about people with medical needs. Take it or leave it. You asked: “Am I justified in being very annoyed?” My answer: No, I don’t think so. However you seem to be committed to it so it’s not clear why you asked for opinions about it.

2 Likes

I will. I’m just shook up about getting angry at my guests this morning. It has been a very long time since I got angry at a difficult guest early on in my hosting. I was in the kitchen taking deep breaths mentally before interacting with them when I walked into my living room and it was all tossed around. Sure, I said guests could use it to interact and watch TV but not sleep without even running it by us. It’s a private home FG’sS! It turned out that they were exceptionally nice ladies and apologized profusely so you can’t stay angry then. Pretty exhausting experience all around. Hubby is changing description on platform and this will once again be a learning experience, that is, if I don’t get kicked out. Many people have said in their reviews how welcoming and friendly I am, so now I’m kind of ashamed.

2 Likes

Interesting… last month I stayed at a nice hotel and was free-upgraded to suite with office/couch area & TV, king bed & TV & nice big bathroom.

My take-away was “Unhappy because only place to charge phone was at desk or at the TV; not within my reach from the bed”. I use my phone as my travel alarm, sleep sound machine, music & entertainment…and oh yeah, a phone.

I feel ungrateful…

1 Like

Boomers??? You young whippersnappers!

We’re not arrogant, we do know a few things about this business as distinct from 30 year old hotel practices. We’re not hoteliers, we are BnB owners (who have always held themselves to a higher standard) who work through AriBnb.

Are you justified in being Very Annoyed? NO. If conditions were such that a guest had to sleep on the couch because the bedroom you provided was not adequate for their needs – you are in the wrong. Accept it. Apologize. Fix it, and move on.

9 Likes

I do.

RR

6 Likes

Nah

RR

5 Likes

I love my kettle, heats the water right up. I have 3 now, one for each cabin and my office:)

RR

5 Likes

I was not the one who even addressed the bedding.

Understood and while I may be younger (Gen X) many on this forum are older.

1 Like

Barely not a boomer here too, Gen X

Stinking boomers

Laugh out loud

RR

3 Likes

Stop using bedspreads and change to a sanitary option. yuck and uck. ewe. I am afraid of YOUR cooties, your odors and those if your other guests, Creepy and disgusting. I want and demand clean…at every price. That’s the bottom line.

9 Likes

Sorry, but yes. Every. Single. Stay. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Well that escalated fast.

Hey, everybody needs to vent sometimes. But take a deep breath and listen to the advice you are being given here. Everybody here wants you to succeed, so accept the advice you like and graciously ignore the advice you don’t agree with.

Instead of specifically asking about C-PAP, why not just ask if they need access to an outlet close to the bed? That way you get the information you need and nobody’s privacy is violated.

I bought fancy alarm clocks like the ones you see in hotels, they have USB ports built in to the front so you can plug in your phone, etc. Guests love them.

2 Likes

I cannot say whether or not you are justified in being annoyed. After all, they did rent a room, not the house.

But I’m conflicted. On one level it was inappropriate. On the other, it is a medical device and she needs it for breathing. I don’t have one, but maybe it’s racketty or disturbing.

And sometimes it’s just peaceful to fall asleep on the sofa. She will be up soon enough. Big deal.

Well, it’s not like she raided your fridge or made whoopie. My inclination would be to put a light throw on her and pretend it never happened.

6 Likes