Alternatives to air mattress?

An air mattress from K Mart? I don’t think you can really expect a long life. It doesn’t take much at all to put a hole in these things, so like others, my advice is not to even go down this track. You can buy top quality air beds but these can be very expensive. However, will last longer. I travel to Nepal quite a lot trekking, and swear by my Thermarest made by Cascade designs. As comfortable as a proper mattress. (The neo air model) Tough but expensive. If I had to get one for my rental, then this particular model would be my choice. You can view the range here. (NOT an affiliate link): http://www.cascadedesigns.com/ie/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/category

We don’t have one yet in our cottage but considering it. Bonus is that if we need it for ourselves or our own personal guests, we have it on hand.

It’s not GenX or whatever age group that’s at fault. It’s just the general public. You’re going to find people that just yank your chain. They are a built in percentage of the population and if you host long enough they’ll eventually find you.

Also, to reduce the potential for more stress, get rid of the air mattress. I have never had good luck with them. They smell horrible, crackle with static electricity and, as you’ve discovered, don’t last long. Give one of these a try:

Slumber 1 - 8’’ Mattress-In-a-Box, Multiple Sizes
4.5 stars
5959 reviews ratings
Q&A
By: Slumber 1
Walmart #: 551681031

It comes in a box and unfolds, and don’t stand too close to it when you slice open the box.

You can buy a nice, simple platform for it at all the usual places: Walmart, etc. I get rave reviews for mine.

J Wang - The Gen X parents are not my ideal guests. Over the past three years I have definitely noticed a distinct pattern of their behavior if they have small kids. Of course not all parents of this generation are like this.

But they definitely don’t care for a home the same way as my baby boomer guests do.

I looked it up. This is just a regular mattress for a regular bed…no???

You can also put a waterproof mattress cover under the futon cover to keep the spill off the futon mattress.

Always have a spare air mattress as backup if you are going to keep using airbeds.

lol!! I have to agree with you. I’m usually accused of making generalizations or stereotyping, so I’ve been trying to err on the side of caution. However, it does seem that parents these days are even worse than ever before in creating children who think the universe revolves around them. I work with small kids–sometimes as young as 4, so I see it all. I call them screamers because it seems these kids scream more, and the parents do not tell them to stop. I have neighbors who’ve got a toddler that screams so loud it’s amazing–and for long periods of time. I see them in the market and the kid, a boy, yells and screams and mom never says a peep to him. I’m amazed. This kid is going to grow up never hearing the word NO. :o

1 Like

Yes I suppose it is, so it has to stay out, but you could slide it under something (a regular bed) or stand it up in a closet. The reason I love it is because it’s got the coiled springs and a pillow top, so it’s really comfortable but without being heavy–and you don’t need a box springs for it. It’s so much nicer than an air mattress or even foam–both of which tend make you sweat because they don’t breathe.

I use it on a platform I built that is in a corner, so it’s easy to lift up the mattress to change the sheets.

These are great. I have a couple. It’s the grown up version of the kindergarten nap mat. :smile:

3 Likes

When I think of all the effort we put into proper beds and yet every now and then we still get complaints - “too firm” - “too squishy” I just shake my head.

I think, the less money you spend on a thing, the happier people are. They don’t know it but whenever you go out of your way to get them something really nice, all they do is nitpick. Give them the bare bones basics and they’re thrilled to bits.

People are strange.

3 Likes

Fortunately, we’ve had mattress start ups sponsor us lately!

1 Like

Well, you are very lucky. We spent $1000 on a bed for one bedroom in December and we’ve had three complaints, in public, in reviews, so far.

I want to shake those guests, I really do. That bed is nicer than ours. We’ve spoiled them and they are, as a result, totally insufferable. I wish we’d given them a gym mat on the floor.

2 Likes

:smiley: I hear you!!! For what I offer I’m always surprised at the guest complaints. Just what do you want for $79 a night? You get a fully stocked apartment by the beach in Hawaii, snorkeling and beach equipment, kitchen and BBQ… and you are still not happy.?? For shame…

But even the five star hotels hear complaints every single day, you can be sure.

Some people are not happy with the Taj Mahal.

(You might still be able to get a free mattress too from Nest Bedding if you enquire now. I believe their promo is ongoing.)

2 Likes

That’s why I sometimes wonder if it would be worth it to charge more and get a higher quality of guest. I can’t wait until we get the bathroom redone so that I feel justified charging more. When I tell friends what we charge, they always say it sounds so cheap! Haha.

I’m super seasonal so right now I have to be content with this low rate. As high season approaches I can bump it way up. I’m in a very beachy neighborhood with lots of rentals… some whole houses for $150 night so I can’t go crazy with charging that much for a studio.

Raising your rate WILL attract better quality guests. So will adding a cleaning and security. Yo ushould do it now, even before the bathroom remodel

1 Like

I am up to $65/weekend night pre-remodel. But I can make up to $95/night with the extra person charges. After having 4 adults stay one night at the $5/person I used to charge… Ugh, now I know better!

The average rate in our area is $100 a night. I’m frankly kind of stunned when I read prices like $39 a night. We wouldn’t do it for that.

We live in a very unusual area, there are times when it will cost you upwards of $300 a night to stay at the Howard Johnson’s in our town.

1 Like

I am currently using memory foam mattress and it is very comfortable and soft. well supported

I love the “What can I do…” question.