Alternatives to air mattress?

The thing that bothers me the most is I ask all guests to immediately tell me if there is an accident. Some do, and some don’t. I also explain that chances are my partner can fix most things himself so I just need to be notified before next guest check in so there is adequate time to fix. And I tell them that they won’t be charged if he can fix it - only if blatant carelessness is involved and he is unable to fix it.

It’s sad that most people who break things seem to be dishonest. And they are just selfish.

Curious what your reasoning is for that? You think it is parents testing out the air bed to see if it is full and they have keys in their pockets?

I think that many people sit on beds to eat, talk, watch TV, whatever. If they have keys in their pockets and are used to sitting on beds; they could easily forget that this particular bed will be damaged.

Yes, maybe they are sitting on it and not really sleeping. Adding stress as it’s being used in a way not intended.

And that is the exact reason I have tried to no longer sway people to the sofa bed. I don’t want my sofa bed (soft mattress or air bed to be the center piece). But the last people I know of who used the air bed - pulled it upstairs. It doesn’t explain why there are holes in it when it was not used in the living room.

It’s irresponsible parents not telling their kids is all I can think of - it’s not a damn trampoline. Oh well…no longer my issue.

I suspect that some of the same people talking about buying a pop up tent for the cabin basement are the same people who object to making a “tent” out of sheets (a la airbnb ads)! Just throw some spare sheets and blankets down there. LOLOL

How about:

https://balibeachbed.com/

If it’s children using the airbed; it could be parents reading the children their bedtime story or whatever the bedtime ritual is sitting on it with keys in their pockets. We have an airbed and we’ve had no problems with it. We use it very rarely, only on the unusual occasion that we have three adult guests or two adults and a child who prefers his/her own bed. If our airbed was damaged, I wouldn’t replace it.

Anyone have any cot recommendations?

I have no desire to cater to small children. But my families of 6 (usually the major holidays for a week) I don’t wan’t to decline. They are usually great because either grandparent is present or many older children. Any recommendations?

Many people who travel with little ones have their own travel cot, that could be a condition of their children. I used to use a laundry basket for my littlest until she was about 6 months!

1 Like

I bought this fold away bed on wheels from Staples http://www.staples.com/Linon-Roma-Folding-Bed-With-Steel-Frame-and-Mattress-Blue-White/product_975209 Works great!

1 Like

The takeaway from this thread (for me, anyway) is that if something is complicated or not part of the average person’s experiences, such as dealing with an unusual bedding situation, or, as in another thread, a window that is unusual in design or operation, that it is something that might need replacing. Lights forgotten? Put in timer switch. Door stays open? Door closer needed.

2 Likes

Thanks Suite. I will check those out. I really need to be going with a folding bed since the “extra” guests are not always children.

By replacing, did you mean automating? :slight_smile: That would be a better fit.

Or perhaps, less politely, idiot-proofing. :slight_smile:

There’s always the fold-out futons. Not expensive. I’ve seen them at Walmart or Kmart for under $100.

I’m looking now online to compare cots and folding beds. It just needs to be something that can be carried easily to different floors. Not sure yet how heavy these are…

I know some parents want the younger kids on the same floor as them. But the older kids can stay in the basement by themselves.

On Amazon the weights are available under the specifications tab

1 Like

How about something like this?

1 Like
2 Likes

They occasionally have these or something very similar at Costco too. I went online to see if they have them listed and found this.

http://www.costco.com/Novaform-2"-Roll-Out-Lounger.product.100302976.html

1 Like