Alteration Request after check-in

I tried to read some previous topics on this subject but I’m still confused. I have a guest that checked in today and their reservation was supposed to be for 14 nights, checking out on March 6th. After they checked in they sent an alteration request changing the reservation to 9 nights, checking out on March 1st. I have a strict cancellation policy, but it seems that there is no compensation with an alteration request. Is there a way to charge the guest the 50% that they would have had to pay on the cancelled nights? I will happily refund the rest if they rebook. I don’t seem to see a way to change the price once they’ve checked in. In some previous threads I read something recommending the guest cancel and rebook, but that doesn’t seem right because they would get charged more than they should? If I decline the request I fear a bad review and then there’s no way to rebook as my calendar will still be blocked. I guess I’ve been lucky as I haven’t had this happen in the last 2.5 years that we’ve been hosting.

Read @Helsi 's reply in this thread:

Seems the way to make the system do it automatically is to have the guest cancel the reservation (presumably on the last night they intend to stay).

An alternative is to have a second alteration request for the guest pay you the 50% for the unused days.

Have you messaged the guest about it?

1 Like

@Brian_R170 Hmm…so I have to tell the guest to cancel on the day they’re checking out? Then there will be no chance of rebooking because the dates will be blocked for the next 8 days.

The second alternative I don’t know how to do. I can’t do an alteration request after they’ve checked in. If they would have told me before hand I think I could have changed the dates and modified the price as well to reflect the cancellation fee.

I haven’t talked to the guest. My husband talked to them when they checked in. Since he didn’t know how Airbnb works, he simply told them we’d refund them if we rebooked.

I guess I’ll just eat it and hope for the best unless someone has a better solution. I could maybe try going through the resolution center, but I can’t force them to pay.

Can a single alteration request be used to change the length of stay and pay the 50% for the unused days? If that’s possible and the guest is agreeable, decline the current request have the guest create a new one.

You could always decline the current request and force the guest to cancel the reservation, but what it comes down to is whether you’re willing to trade the 50% for unused days for the potential of a bad review. Seems like the best thing would be to discuss it with the guest.

I just had this situation and submitted an alteration to the guest with the change in dates and the modified price. If the guest submits a modification request to you first it will give a refund of the full price of unused days, so I chose to create the modification myself so I could change the price and the date (you can change both at one time). The strict refund policy only applies to a cancellation, not to ending the reservation early via an alteration. By altering the reservation rather than asking the guest to cancel on the last day, I was able to open the days on my calendar in advance. @Arlene_Larsson you can alter the reservation after they check in. I had the exact situation as you last week.

1 Like

I don’t see how to do this. Maybe it will let me do it if I decline their request? Right now it just takes me to their request.

1 Like

I think that you first have to talk to them, and explain your point of view and what you are willing to do for them. This will also allow you to get a measure of their mood and willingness to lose money.

Then decline their request for a change of reservation, and send them your request for a change of reservation: 9 nights for the price of: 9 nights + 50% of 5 nights. With the promise to refund them more money if you rebook those nights.

A change of reservation always allows you to adjust dates, number of nights, price, room, number of guests.

1 Like

@Arlene_Larsson - your guest has sent you an alteration probably because they don’t want to pay a cancellation charge :slight_smile:

You do not have to accept it.

In your situation I would simply tell them that unfortunately you cannot accept the alteration to their booking, so if they now want to leave on the 1st March, this would need to be a cancellation from that that date. I would also tell them if I was able to rebook some or all of the dates, I would consider a partial refund.

Unfortunately it seems though that your husband has already agreed to refund them (begs the question why have a strict cancellation policy then? ), so just accept the alteration.

This sounds like what I will do then. I just wanted to make sure I’d be able to send the request once I’d declined theirs. Thanks!!

I have never actually done this, but I can’t imagine this not being possible. I have had the same reservation being altered two times: A guest decided to extend two times.

How this would work is what I don’t understand. Can the guest actually just cancel certain dates of their reservation?

My husband only agreed to refund them if we rebooked. I don’t even think he agreed to refund them the 50% that they would be entitled to per the cancellation policy.

To my knowledge, people cannot cancel certain dates. They would have to cancel all and rebook the days they do want to stay.

I think Guthend is right. When I had a guest book for seven nights when they only wanted six (they were going to leave a day early), I called CS and asked if that would qualify for the 50% refund because they told me about it more than 7 days ahead. He said “no, the 7 days is only if they cancel the entire stay. They are not entitled to anything according to the policy. But we’d like you to give them their money back”.

Ah thanks for clarifying in your earlier post you actually said

“My husband talked to them when they checked in. Since he didn’t know how Airbnb works, he simply told them we’d refund them if we rebooked. I guess I’ll just eat it”

Rather than:

“My husband only agreed to refund them if we rebooked. I don’t even think he agreed to refund them the 50% that they would be entitled to per the cancellation policy”.

Which I am sure you agree is rather different.

My advice was based on your initial comment.

Anyway hope it all works out.

I must be dense as I don’t see the difference. I’m not trying to argue, I just don’t see the difference. Either way we’re not refunding unless we rebook?? Or am I missing something?

1 Like

Ignore me I am having a senior moment @Arlene_Larsson I missed the ‘if we re-booked’ in the first one.

Apologies :slight_smile:

LOL, I was going to say I must be having a senior moment. Apology accepted of course. :-).

That’s very gracious of you @Arlene_Larsson

These senior moments come to us all :wink:

1 Like

The solution is not to alter the dates, not your problem. Let them call Air and try to alter the dates and then insist with Air you get paid per your cancellation policy.

RR

Update: I declined their request and sent a new request reflecting the cancellation fee of 50% for the nights they cancelled and told them I would only refund if we rebooked. We’ve since rebooked all the nights at a higher rate so it’s a win-win!!

4 Likes