Airbnb sent me criminals with records, drugs, stealing cars

I said I would never accept a last-minute booking, but this guy had 20 reviews, and I can’t see his full name until I accept the booking. So we had drug dealers coming in and out, even in the morning yelling at our house for the crack heads to come out, my daughter got scared from someone yelling. I really had no idea this was going on because I was sleeping. But three more came in the morning right before check-out, I check the cameras later. This guy had a long rap sheet from drugs, Identity theft, to stealing cars. I based my decision on the reviews, but will never do this again. Airbnb does not do background checks, so how can I stop the drug dealers coming into my place. I think I should call airbnb and tell them.

Wow, that’s so scary. Thank God no one got hurt.

1 Like

Thanks. Now looking at the cameras I think the guest was the dealer, two people came in at 3 am and one at 8 am and the last guy was yelling for the guest at the gate for 15min in the front yard, walking back and forth. I would have called the cops right then had I knew. That is why this guest does last-minute bookings after check-in time, so you don’t have time to vet them to find out they have public records. I’m locking up tonight in case they think the dealer is still here. And I don’t want to state this in a review due to dealer retaliation.

My friend had similar story . One of the guests was very pregnant woman and they were dealing drugs out of her house. Then she learned drug dealers do this often…they rent a house after house so police won’t detect them

3 Likes

So you aren’t going to warn future hosts @ValleyRanch?

You can still mention the unusual pattern of visitors throughout the night which woke and upset family members, mark him down to three stars so he can’t IB and call Airbnb with your concerns.

Obviously you can’t state in a review someone is a drug dealer without proof.

4 Likes

Helsi’s advice, as ever, is sterling. You can also alter your availability settings to stop bookings so late. I have mine set at 11 am on the day.

1 Like

Inform police and black list them on facebook airbnb black list guests. To warn other hosts. Totally unacceptable, you can ask them to leave contact Airbnb and explain your reasons and they will find them alternative accommodation.

2 Likes

Three stars is two too many.

5 Likes

So he was local??? Definitely never last minute locals!

3 Likes

I heard on here, sometime ago, that awarding zero stars just leaves a meaningless blank.

1 Like

Whatever :slight_smile:

The Airbnb background check is just as much marketing smoke and mirrors as the $1M host guarantee.

I’m surprised the guest used his real name. Users can change their profile name, even after doing ID verification. Verification doesn’t mean much when that’s possible.

If you can do so without affecting your business too much, set an earlier cut-off to avoid last-minute bookings.

5 Likes

I was thinking that too about the name. I have it already set two days advance notice, so that means guest with even the ability to IB, still have to send a request. Seeing the reviews one was bad, but the other reviews were good.

Thank you. In this situation, I will warn airbnb about their background, and in the review, I will state regard to visitors coming and going. To be honest, I don’t want this kind trouble, these drug dealers will kill, they make their living off of this and will retaliate if anything gets in there way, not worth it. airbnb should just remove the account. I think it should be up to airbnb to make conditions after my report. His background check confirms that he is a dealer with a track record. Stating that people were coming in and out only works with people that are having party fun as opposed to gang drug dealers is something I need to be careful of. Because complaining about a party to college kids is not the same when you complain about drug dealers, no matter how you say it.

1 Like

I suspect the reason that he had so many positive reviews is fear of retribution.

5 Likes

Yes, with these types of guest it is not retaliation with words on social media or a review, they do other things to protect their business.

l abb to have their account removed asap. yes, you could be in danger if you leave a bad review. thanks for posting here and warning us. I had no idea this was going on.

2 Likes

I am thinking that this is a firm call to our friends in the Safety department. This is about as pleasant as a root canal. But this is a shared problem.

3 Likes

Definitely call Airbnb and let them know your discoveries in your experience as well as your fears with reviewing. They should be removed ASAP

2 Likes

“Airbnb sent me criminals with records, drugs, stealing cars”… kind of, but they just advertise your listing for you, and provide the platform.
Had previous hosts been more honest, if the guests had behaved as badly as they did at your place, the bad reviews may have warned you off of him.

6 Likes