Airbnb sent me criminals with records, drugs, stealing cars

Absolutely call Airbnb and report

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s how it works. I think even 1 star can IB I Jess they are rated Norvell Recommended and then the hosts have that filter on.

And this is why number of reviews has nothing to do with the quality of the guest.

1 Like

Yes, sometimes host they aren’t aware of what is happening because they think the best of their guest, and have a lot of trust in the system too perhaps. I think this would have never happened if airbnb would let me see the photo and the full name before the booking, even if it was last minute I could at least decline the request. I’ve been lucky and had a great guest, but you can’t ever let your guard down.

2 Likes

Yes definitely, it would be nice to see the pic, description (and crim record). But that lead to all sorts of descrimination!

Yeah a little ammunition would help. You are supposed to be banned from airbnb if you have criminal records. We are not hotels with security where they are not concern about that as much. We have kids on the property, so you should be able to protect yourself in that regards, maybe you don’t need to see a photo but at least the full name and phone number. “Murder, rape, terrorism or child molestation results in a permanent ban from the platform less serious crimes, as Airbnb defines them, such as felony burglary or felony larceny, result in a ban of 14 years from the date of conviction. Even lesser offenses, such as fraud or property damage, get you banned for seven years from the date of conviction.”

I think that the OP did report them as he/she said that he had a long rap sheet for various offences - only the cops would have been able to come up with that information. And now that information is on his reviews, other hosts will be spared a similar thing from him. It’s a shame that the host slept thought it though.

The thing is that a background check costs (I think) about $20. Airbnb would have to add on top of that of course, as that’s via a third party, and I don’t think hosts would be happy about paying for that. Also, and I don’t know about other countries, but it’s a tricky proposition here. There are umpteen terms and conditions.

So the best solution is the one we used in the old days - if hosts are concerned they can do it themselves. (I’ve never bothered though - I’m providing accommodation, not marrying them :slight_smile: ).

This is a troubling factor, isn’t it? I recently had a guest whose profile pic was her as a young girl. (People who read here a lot know that I don’t care about profile photographs anyway).

When she arrived, I could perfectly understand why. She had a badly scarred face. I feel for her. If I was her and forced to use a profile pic, I’d simply go elsewhere. As would other users, probably, if they knew that hosts were doing background checks.

3 Likes

Heaven forbid we might discriminate against people because of their criminal record!

2 Likes

how did you find that out?

1 Like

Where I live you just go to the court system web site and do a name search. It will show name & date of birth.

To the original poster: You tell guests that all guests need to show ID when arriving, and that no one is allowed on the premises if they don’t list full names after they book. That will give you time to check for criminal records, which in many states are online. If you get matches and the offenses are recent, Air should cancel without penalty and ban them. If you are afraid of retaliation, have your police dept call Air and request that they be banned.

4 Likes

By searching his name.

Thank you and that is a good idea.

i’d be very afraid to rate them. these people kill people. ok? i would have not rate them but call ABB to remove their account.

2 Likes

bit dramatic!! Bit of a leap to ‘killers’!

3 Likes

That’s great. So the host can go to the website and assuming that the guest is travelling under their own name, get all the criminal details they need to cancel via Airbnb. Two minutes, job done.

I’d have thought that anyone who has the wherewithal to deal in illegal drugs also has a source for fake IDs though but maybe not, they’re not all that bright, after all.

1 Like

Yes, you are right these gang of thugs was arrested and did not give up very easily and found evidence of Identity fraud inside their house. Now worried about hacking my Wi-FI even though it is a separate router. He used his real name because his mug shot with 5 other thugs and they looked super scary and mean the look of drug people, that are 20-30s but look like 70-year-old zombies. I’m going back to asking for ID and that has to match the booking name, and never doing last-minute bookings ever again. Also do you think I should turn off IB? Also where do you suggest I put this copy for ID, in the rules, or welcome message?

1 Like

Does it go against policy to asked them for their full name before booking in my rules?

I can’t find where to change the time you can book in availability settings, is it in “Add a custom rule for seasons or specific dates” ? Thanks

1 Like

Don’t turn off IB for that;

I would put it in the rules, in the welcome message, in the check-in process, and in the welcome pack/house documentation.

If they don’t agree you can then cancel with client support!

1 Like

So you felt uneasy just after he IB’d? I know it’s easy to say that in hindsight.

But maybe keep IB on but use your right to cancel if any red flags, more often.

Or if for example anything is wierd or “off” like the photo or stuff they are saying, google them befor arrival instead of after.

Also some deterrents - just stating them might make the bad guys decide to go elsewhere:

• as stated require ID
  • say you live on the premises or next door to the premise or “nearby” or whatever
  • say in your listing there is a camera on premises (even if you don’t have one)
  • add in your house rules that the host can enter the property at any time to verify usage being made in accordance with rules
3 Likes