AirBnB Plus? Anyone know how the process works?

The invite showed up for me today to apply. The requirements are basically that everything the guest uses is very clean, in good condition, colour-coordinated and well-equipped. Honestly, I’m a bedroom-door lock, a Roku TV and matching teacups away from qualifying. The process is a bunch of checklists that you work through. Once you’ve checked all of the requirements, then you can pay to apply.

I’m lucky, in that I’m in a tight rental market with high demand. So, I can raise the price accordingly if I provide a higher quality offering. But, I like the guests I’m getting now. I don’t know if a guest who previously might have been pleased with my place will be harder to please if I have an Airbnb Plus designation. Since the suite I Airbnb is in my home, I’m considering this carefully.

2 Likes

I have a fridge magnet from when I visited Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water. Does that count? :japanese_goblin:

9 Likes

Lordy! To make this post 20 chars let me just say again: Lordy! :japanese_goblin:

1 Like

I was reading through the checklist, and one of the requirements is that there be no scuffs on the walls. My guests are constantly banging and rubbing their suitcases up against the walls, how the hell am I supposed to stop this?!

1 Like

You don’t stop it but you do repair it or clean it between guests. Mr. Clean magic eraser is awesome for one that will clean off. For gouges a bit of repair material (I like something called Quick Fix or epoxy clay better than spackling) and matching paint.

4 Likes

Can someone post the checklist here?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2195/airbnb-plus-program-terms-and-conditions

3 Likes

I already do or exceed (like every stay has 4 pillows) everything except there is no kitchen.

3 Likes

By TV, do they mean cable or Dish connected AND Roku? Or just the ability to use Roku?
I meet or exceed all of these as well.

I guess I feel like they are forcing higher standards but not willing to really reward them other than in a placement situation. If the competition starts getting more intense, I suppose I could just get the roku. I do have everything else.

No idea. It must be interesting to be an inspector to these properties and then say “sorry, you don’t have enough programming on your TV.” What if your towels aren’t fluffy enough? What is a high quality bedsheet? I have 5G internet now but what if it’s down the day they come to inspect? What if a bug flies into the room? My toilet is probably too close to the opposing wall to qualify. Also please come in the spring or fall so I don’t have to worry that the heat or AC isn’t good enough.

1 Like

LOL! Can get you a wee bit paranoid. I line dry so I can’t always ensure fluff. I think I am gunna pass on this.

I resent the fee they want to charge for the visit. If you are getting all the bookings you want… would you bother?
Would you end up with a moaning guest because your version of a fluffy towel isn’t fluffy enough?

3 Likes

Do we know if you have to meet every single one of the 100 items? It seems like the only two I don’t have are a TV and a full kitchen (there is a kitchenette with fridge/microwave/kitchen stuff, but no range)… but of the 115 or so guests I’ve had, not one has complained about either one of those (as it’s a peaceful cabin in a foodie destination). I tend to attract fairly well-off guests as my place is looks like it fell out of pinterest, so this is new program would make sense for my listing.

I would say you MUST meet all of them, but that is me guessing. I don’t know what they mean by TV. Does it have to be hooked up to cable or can it be a TV that has a roku or chromecast attached?
Do they say FULL kitchen? Only full house rentals would probably have them. Or they should just define what they mean by those terms.

No you just have to access to them. I saw a Tipi on Plus. Yes, a Tipi. The very nice bathroom and kitchen are in the house. If people want to know what a Plus listing means I suggest looking at the ones they have already approved. “Guests not complaining” is not one of the standards, (no offense), but if it were I’d be disqualified. I had one Italian guest complain because he didn’t get an entire house with kitchen for $40 a night.

1 Like

The quote from the airbnb page says “TV with remote control and access to entertainment, such as cable, Netflix, or Roku”

1 Like

OR being the key and operative word. You can get a chrome cast for $35 s month but basic cable might run you much more than that monthly.

I just cut the cable in the air room and put Roku and an antenna for local broadcasts. I may add Sling TV later if I feel I or my guests need more programming. But I would think a Plus listing would need some programming on the TV. Think…like a hotel.

Exactly! I’m worried that we won’t be able to keep everything up perfectly every single time. Sometimes our yard doesn’t look that great, for instance.

I wonder who they’re recruiting for inspectors for these top properties? I quite fancy the job myself … I’m very nosy and love seeing other people’s listings. I can see myself calling round with my towel fluffometer , my bedsheet thread-counter and my white cotton gloves for checking the tops of door frames …

16 Likes