AirBnB Plus? Anyone know how the process works?

Interesting article, thanks for posting!

1 Like

We’re going through the Plus process right now for a listing in Seattle. If we could differentiate ourselves and rise to the top of search results, it would really help us. As I’ve mentioned in other threads, there are thousands (6,575 to be exact) active listings here and sometimes we don’t even show up!

We went through the self-assessment back in Feb and received feedback approximately 6 weeks later. They sent us one of our listing photos indicating that we needed to add personal touches like a plant, art, etc. We did this, snapped an updated photo and just sent it off. I have to say, it did make this area more inviting.

Now we wait some more.

Could you share what that entails?

We wait with you, lol.

1 Like

I would think they just mean you have options beyond the 4 networks, however it comes in.
I will never make it beyond the scuffs.

It is clear a guy wrote this as one must have, in my book, is a full length mirror.

Ha ha. It’s just a checklist where you confirm you have the things they’re looking for like 2 sets of plush matching towels, various types of cookware, a printed home manual, etc.

1 Like

If you guys are interested in all the details about the program, we wrote a comprehensive post about it here: Curious about the Airbnb Plus Program?.

Seems to me like they’re really just trying to rebrand the Superhost program but make it even more elite so they can charge more. Agreed with some of the comments that guests can be even more picky now with this program as It’s even more of a “hotel” offering. Airbnb is also now going to offer hotels on their platform - not sure if you guys saw this?

They always did have hotels but now it’s going to be more official.

1 Like

Sorry, @cabinhost, I have no idea about these things. Air may not know yet either!

I suppose once a couple of guest have dropped a couple of stars on the cleanliness, you may drop out of Plus status

I wonder if the demotion is automatic. I can imagine the email. A bit like getting dumped from being a Superho. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I applied and was told that the interior design of my bedroom was not up to snuff - I needed more “personal items” like knick knacks, throw cushions, etc. Basically they want me to add more stuff for the cleaners to dust and wash, and have less space for my guests to put their things. Screw that! I make enough money as it is, I don’t want to more stress having to deal with keeping the bedroom throw cushions clean and whatnot.

I think the program was not very well thought out, sure the photos will look nice but trying to actually run an Airbnb with all that staging is going to be a huge pain in the butt.

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting on this. And kudos to you for being secure enough about what you offer to be honest with us. Some hosts would just lie.

2 Likes

My pleasure! I’ll freely admit that it’s boring, just an IKEA bed and nightstands, some generic art above the headboard, reading lights and an alarm clock. I should probably spruce it up, but I’m more concerned that if I do actually join Airbnb plus then I’m going to have to maintain the place to an unreasonable standard. People are always scuffing the walls and causing minor damage to the furniture, if everything had to be perfect I’d have to throw everything out and start all over again!

1 Like

Right? I just posted yesterday say no to too many pillows! One plus listing I saw is a tipi and the renter uses the bathroom and kitchen in the owners home. I wonder if the rest of the home has to be Plus as well. Easy to maintain a tipi but the rest? Ugh. But private rooms on Airbnb do qualify for plus.

2 Likes

I actually have a designated spot in the bedroom closet for excess pillows, as my place sleeps 2-6 in various configurations and I have a day bed with with several decorative pillows and cushions that are left out when I just have 1-2 people and put away when I have large groups.

It’s all a bit ridiculous really; does Airbnb want us to offer a consistent experience like hotels (which don’t have all this crap lying around) or do they want unique spaces that are at risk of causing guest unhappiness because the maintenance and cleanliness is that much harder?

Just happened to come across this listing in Costa Rica while checking out an inquiry on the Chrome extension …

And, yes … Superhost does not mean A-plus accommodations … and yes, it is a bit off the grid, but quite authentic.

I was sent an email telling me I needed to add art in the bedroom above the headboard. I’m totally not going to pursue this, it’s the exact opposite of under promise and over deliver!

Oh, and they have sent me like 4 follow up emails (to send a pic of the room) and none of them mention a $150 fee for the program. So from the first pop-up message I clicked on, to filling out some check lists, to these multiple emails they’ve sent me, not a single mention of the Plus process involving a payment. Maybe they ask at the very end?

1 Like

Your listing is gorgeous!! What a view! If they were that nitpicky about your listing, I’m probably not going to make Plus… :slight_smile:

1 Like

We had our photography session a couple of weeks ago. Air sent a nice professional photographer who also did the inspection. I was on hand in case he had questions or couldn’t locate something required by the checklist. It took about 45 minutes and, at the end, he gave me a preview of the photos which looked quite nice. Today we got notification that we’re approved but they’re working on editing/touching up the photos.

During the initial review of our listing (pre-inspection), we were told like @cooperjto that we needed more decor on the wall by the bed. We added 2 pieces of wall art being cognizant about not adding decor types that needed dusting. We also added a headboard which we were planning to add anyway. I think it took a couple of weeks for Plus to approve our changes.

Our listing is nice and modern, but it’s not in some magical location, and it’s not super fancy. For that reason, I don’t associate Plus with yuppies or luxury. It means we have soft linens, 4 sets of towels, a saucepan, a ladle, decent wi-fi, etc. I don’t think the Plus program is out of reach for ordinary listings, just a guarantee to guests of certain basics. As I’ve mentioned previously, we’re hoping to have another way of cutting through the search results considering there are thousands of listings in our market.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing how it improves your booking rate or if you see any change in the kinds of guests who book.

1 Like