Airbnb paying 25% based on your cancellation policy?

The only one “spewing” here is you. And no one is censoring you. You can have all the rope you want.

5 Likes

Here you go, from the University of Washington, for the US:

My state’s COVID web site has a more detailed map by census area. You should check your state’s site. Modeling is based, however, on currently reported cases, and will change with more widespread testing.

I thought the highlighted paragraph sounded familiar. You two share similar talking points. Sadly your peer died of the virus she thought wasn’t worth alerting people to.

Politics aside, lets stop suggesting this is media propaganda. This is real, and someone who lives in NYC should understand that, better than anyone.

3 Likes

I will have a look at the link but what I’m specificially interested in is how much time adds at the end when you delay. For example, 1.5 weeks ago Gates said we need 6-10 weeks of a complete nationwide lockdown. A few days ago I only heard him say 10 weeks. So I’m wondering if a week of delay adds 4 weeks or if he just gave up on saying 6 weeks because then people hear 6 days? How much more are the heel draggers going to cost us?

1 Like

I like to think I’m a decent human being. However, I’m not in a position to give refunds. We have a strict cancellation policy for a reason. I need to know that if a guest cancels his reservation, my policy will be upheld by airbnb and I will get paid. I had more than 200 nights cancelled. Needless to say, the financial damage is catastrophic. A guest takes a chance when he/she books a place with a strict policy but so does the host.

I never suggested the virus is not to be taken seriously. We know it should be taken very seriously. Everyone should take this seriously. My family and I are living in the epicenter of the virus and we are taking precautions. What I said is that the media is causing needless panic. When the media suggests 1-2million people will die, that is unfounded and irresponsible. The media is spreading a lot of mis-information. What Trump meant when he said the virus is another hoax is the Democrats are using the tragedy of the virus to try and damage Trump like they did when they used the Ukraine & Russia “Collusion” hoaxes. He is exactly right. While the virus was raging in Wuhan, the democrats were focused on impeachment. This despite the fact that they knew they would not have the votes in the Senate to impeach Trump. What they should have been doing is holding hearings on how to keep the virus from reaching the U.S. The democrats called Trump a racist when he shut down travel from China. Democrat open border policies certainly don’t help the situation. Need I say more?

2 Likes

Exactly, hopefully your cancellations fall under the 25% policy so at least you will get that.

Hopefully you come out the other side of this without losing your property. I would suggest talking to the bank sooner rather than later about a possible forbearance

That is out of your hands, Air is calling the shots.

Me too, Air overrode it, I think it is 9.5 in the TOS which says they can do whatever they want basically, sucks we all agreed to that.

RR

2 Likes

I sure like my electric kettle, heats the water right up.

RR

9 Likes

I like my electric kettle so much that I bought one for the house too. Great treat of an appliance :+1:

3 Likes

I keep a spare electric kettle for when one dies in one of my houses, I immediately replace it and then replace the spare - same goes for toasters and microwaves. When do they die? Always when the shops are shut!

2 Likes

“People with strict cancellation policies are no more deserving the the rest of us.”

Many hosts on this forum have stated that they would never have a strict policy for the reason that they would lose out on bookings. That’s exactly right. Hosts with a strict cancellation policy give up bookings. This is the reason those hosts should receive some compensation vs. those with a flexible policy. The hosts with a strict policy give up bookings in return for the protection it offers and a guaranty of getting paid when they have blocked their calendar.

Trump has repeated the 2.2 million number more than once. That is of course after spending Feb 6th to mid March saying everything was fine and under control.

As for the impeachment spin: Instead of golfing, holding rallies and tweeting all day the President should have been listening to his advisors and scientists. And then when impeachment was over on Feb 5th he could have turned his full attention onto strategies to limit the carnage.

Anyway, your mind isn’t going to change. Now the reality is that your business is wrecked, probably until summer of 2021. What is your strategy for survival?strong text

3 Likes

I disagree with your assessment of how the media is playing this, and not surprisingly I disagree with your assessment of what Trump meant. He has changed his story more times than I can keep track of. I wanted to answer your question about what we expect Trump to do (or have done) but I’ll avoid politics on your behalf.

These two quotes of yours seem initially contradictory, but I’m very glad you are taking it seriously. As such I hope you can see how Extenuating Circumstances have created the reason for the refunds that ALL of us have had to relinquish.

I feel very badly for everyone who is struggling with this health and financial crisis. It is heartwrenching.

But admittedly, anyone with a $15million home is lower on my empathy list than those who don’t know where their next meal is coming from. I would also expect that someone married to a financial advisor will have significantly more options than those truly struggling with this situation.

“Let them eat cake”
“So Much Winning”

3 Likes

That’s quite presumptuous. You have no idea whether a guest has lost their job or business and won’t be able to afford to pay their mortgage.

It seems to be an average of 3%. You consider that small? I’d bet you have at least 100 people in your life who you are close to. Family, friends, co-workers. So 3 of them could die. Is that acceptable to you?

5 Likes

I use my kettle to top off the bucket of mop water, adds a bit more heat so the floor dries faster.

4 Likes

The percent is less than 1%. If everyone were tested, the number would be much smaller than 1% (as the denominator gets larger). Not my assessment.

Sorry you disagree. I’m not being presumptuous. I know my guests. Most are here on business or to take a class or internship.

It is called a contract. The civil society depends on the premise of a contract. We cannot have faith in business agreements if there is no enforcement of contracts.

The terms of service is a contract, and it sucks for us hosts. Have a look at section 9.5 It is amazing how sometimes we humans do things against our own interests

1 Like

2 Likes

Let’s not get personal here, we do not have to agree but there is no call for this.

RR

5 Likes

Oh and if anyone is interested, cases in Japan are surging and PM Abe is going to declare a state of emergency. A few days ago they were being held up as an example. There are no Trumps or Democrats there, or in China, Italy, Iran or Spain. Boris Johnson isn’t getting better, though he might since he has world class health care. The virus doesn’t care who you voted for. There is going to be economic carnage.

What people don’t seem to understand is that this is not almost over. The light some see at the end of a tunnel is a train headed our way and our car is stalled on the tracks.

Despite supporting the President @LenoxHillHost, I believe you are going to find yourself in a situation in which he isn’t going to be helping you. And Airbnb isn’t going to help either.

People like yourself who aren’t going to be able to pay the mortgage are going to need a back up plan.

2 Likes