Airbnb Insurance

So after reading through some threads both on this forum and others, I realized that for the last two years I thought I was covered with my homeowners policy plus Airbnb coverage. What I learned is that if I had filed a claim through my homeowners insurance, regardless of whether or not it was related to my Airbnb they would have denied the claim and cancelled my policy. I have done the research, compared coverage and premiums and have signed up with Proper Insurance. (Even has an option to add for bed bug elimination and compensation while you get them removed.) I am paying more for coverage but now I have piece of mind. I found the rep I worked with to be great. I read reviews and while there were a couple of unhappy customers it seem more on the part of the customers not understanding what they were purchasing. I can now sleep better at night. Here’s who I used. Taylor Stults
Account Executive
Proper Insurance Services, LLC
Coverholder | Lloyd’s of London

P|1-888-631-6680
F|1-888-331-9299
Email|taylor@proper.insure

1 Like

Happy for you.

Since I live in Florida, Proper was going to cost $6500 per year ($1500 per year for the ordinary things and $5000 per year for “wind” coverage). Not a viable option here in The Hurricane State!!!

Except what happens if you have damage and your insurance company discovers you are running an Airbnb and refuses to cover you even if it’s not part of the Airbnb and then cancels your premium?

I think there is a short-term rental option and then you can get an exclusion to prevent your insurance company from cancelling.

I wasn’t willing to risk my most important assets. Wasn’t worth the risk.

1 Like

Supplemental homeowner’s insurance specifically to cover Airbnb was tricky to obtain, but my broker hunted tirelessly and found one through Lloyd’s. I pay over $2,000 a year to rent rooms in my home, but i am covered.

I’ve posted before about finding Towergate Insurance, underwritten by Lloyds and based in London UK. Not only am I covered for B&B in my home and all the rest, they reduced my premiums significantly, with excellent customer service to boot.

1 Like

I’m in Australia and have a broker find insurance for our granny flat for about $200. Our farmstay also has insurance under our farm insurance for about $1200. All underwritten by Lloyds of London.

1 Like

Towergate, huh? I may have to check them out. I too went through Proper, also with Lloyds of London, but I pay a pretty penny. My annual cost doubled, but the peace of mind is so worth it! @Lynick4442 - like you I was too afraid to risk ‘don’t ask - don’t tell’ with my previous insurance carrier for the fear they would deny a claim.

I pay $2000 per year Australian to cover my Airbnb business including public liability and my general home insurance. It is double the cost of my old homeowners insurance policy. My excess is high at around $500 so i wont really make a claim unless it is something major.