Airbnb blog post about stakeholders

This blog post has some interesting statements including this one:

Number of personal safety incidents (99.94% of trips had no reported incidents) and the rates of property damage (99.97% of trips had no Host Guarantee claim over $500).

I don’t see anything specific about allowing hosts in on the IPO.

I bet my shirt they mean claims paid and not damages actually claimed by hosts. I have read too many stories about hosts only getting paid a small fraction of the actual costs.

It doesn’t reference what was paid at all.

I wonder what the percentage would be if it were “any claims for damage under the host guarantee.”

Wow, 99.97% sounds good, but it actually means that 1 out of every 333 trips [Edit, it’s actually 3333 trips] had a Host Guarantee claim of over $500. When you look at it that way, it actually seems like a lot.

They don’t say “payout”, so I will assume it means “claim”, but would not include any cases where the guest paid for the damage either directly or through the security deposit hold.

Also, it seems odd that specific metric is under the “guest stakeholder”.

1 Like

It’s written in such a way that makes is obvious that they think safety means keeping guests safe from hosts, not the other way around. They say they want to reduce the number of negative incidents. Of course if they refuse to pay up when hosts report damage and hosts stop reporting damage because it’s a waste of time then they will reduce the percentage of reported incidents.

1 in 333? How did you arrive at that number?

@#$%, it’s 1 in 3333.

LOL. Ok, that sound more like 99+%. But I’m still wondering how you arrived at the number, i.e., where did you get the number of Airbnb trips between October 1, 2018 and September 30, 2019?

1 Like

Don’t need any more data.

99.97% without a claim over $500, means 0.03% that do have a claim over $500.

0.03% = 0.0003
1/3333 = 0.0003

4 Likes

Fair enough, but I’ve also read too many stories about hosts wanting to claim “damage” from some eye makeup on a pillowcase :roll_eyes: IMO, it flies both ways.

2 Likes

I like this quote from the Airbnb Newsroom:
" Hosts

• We treat our hosts as partners.
  • We enable the creation of millions of entrepreneurs."

IMHO - I would have to disagree. I feel that I’m on my own. Basically Airbnb is an advertising medium for my STR and they collect payment and dictate what I have to do and how I can be found high up in search.

1 Like

Yeah, that was a a relatively common fleecing practice at cheap hotels in Thailand.

While I agree Airbnb is a bit FIGJAM as Deb would say, I do believe they enabled millions of entrepreneurs. For people who were doing STR prior to Airbnb, no they simply gave them a new advertising platform. But for many (millions? I don’t know) like me, they are the business. I never would have entered the business without them or someone like them and their absolute dominance of my market ensures that I will always be dependent on them. Unless and until someone comes and replaces them in the market that will remain. Now, if I go off STR to medium term with medical professionals then I will use a different platform.

I have no problem giving Airbnb credit for what they’ve done. As far as the model goes of pioneering the medium I give credit to ebay.