Airbnb account hacked

Sharing:
I received this message this morning at 6:44.

By 8:40 I received over 200 emails thanking me for signing up for their websites. Most of the websites were based in India.

I changed my Airbnb password, since the payout method change is pending, I couldn’t delete the account so I entered a minimum payout amount to be $50,000 so no money would transfer (however no rentals now anyway…). I messaged Airbnb to delete the payout method.

I’m monitoring my associated bank accounts and my credit report for new accounts and use of existing

What a pain.

Be aware. I doubt my case is isolated. Check your payout methods

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up. So sorry you are going through this.

2 Likes

Thanks. This sounds similar to what @Tishiekate reported in a post a few days ago. I checked my account and it’s secure and uncompromised at this time. But we all need to be hypervigilant. @WinsomeLoft had an excellent post about password security and offered to help anyone who messages him.

EXACTLY my scenario. Woke to over 200 emails thanking me for subscribing/signing up, then later had the attempted change of payment email. I checked my Airbnb account, and had four other devices, in other global locations, logged into my account. I changed passwords on my email, logged the other devices out on my Airbnb account, and changed my password for Airbnb and PayPal. I also messaged Airbnb, and actually did receive a reply within a few hours. I’ve since signed up for a password manager. Thankfully, I change my banking and credit card passwords more often, and had done all of those nearly two weeks ago.

3 Likes

I assume the 200 e-mails are meant to distract you from seeing the 1 from Airbnb about your payout method being changed?

2 Likes

I thought the same thing. My saving grace was I’ve set up Airbnb notifications so whenever they text or email me, a partial message with their logo appears on my phone’s face page

3 Likes

@Tishiekate

I hate that you had this happen too. I missed your post. Because our events were identical tells me this is a focused attack on Airbnb.

Expect to see our password requirements change soon to be more complicated. I made mine more complicated by choice…

1 Like

The scammers are working overtime. My email inbox is full of crap. My phone rings 12 times a day marked potential spam.

2 Likes

@Annet3176 @Tishiekate Do you normally stay signed in to your account or do you log out every time you are done on the site? I’m curious as to whether or not logging out each time leaves accounts more vulnerable to hacking.