Airbnb absolutely no help after 4 calls

You didn’t answer my question.

I recommend not only checking the boxes they provide and following their description guidelines but also mentioning it in the listing text and also put pictures of the cameras.

If you properly disclosed them in advance (Airbnb knows if you add it after the complaint is made) then you’ll just have to be patient. Tweet them, message, chat, call, whatever you have time to do. They suspend first, investigate second and the icebergs are melting faster than they run an investigation. But ultimately they should restore your listing. If you were not following Airbnb policy to the letter you may remain suspended.

Here’s the policy:

2 Likes

Yes they are disclosed on my listing

2 Likes

So after a 3rd party booking where momma booked for her 12x 22 year old kids and then didn’t stay there She managed to get my listing suspended I never received anything from airbnb. I’m guessing she complained about discloses cameras on exterior doors So how does she break an airbnb house rule and also increase by 50% number of people in my historic home and I’m the one who gets suspended! This gal has no reviews. My question wise hosts…. I’m going to only accept guests with reviews after this bad experience. Thoughts?

1 Like

That a guest has reviews is no assurance that they will be good guests. Plenty of hosts have accepted guests with 5 * reviews who turned out to be terrible. And plenty of guests who have no reviews yet are delightful guests.

And if you decline every request from a guest with no reviews, Airbnb will eventually suspend your account when there are a lot of declines.

There is nothing about a guest having reviews or not that would ensure that the scenario you experienced would not happen.

2 Likes

I just got such a stinker and now my site is suspended for no reason I’m gun shy I guess. The Momma booked for 22 year olds so that’s how I got into trouble. Thanks to you all I now request identification immediately upon the new reservation and require it upon arrival as well.

1 Like

No, that’s not how you got into trouble.

Any guest, even one who has a legitimate booking, can call Airbnb and make some bogus claim and Airbnb will automatically suspend your listing without getting your side of the story or checking up on whether you do disclose cameras, for instance. It’s one of the most egregious and illogical things Airbnb does to hosts.

What you should have done was called Airbnb immediately and told them what was going on, that you were going to boot out the illegal guests immediately, that you will approve a full refund, but that you fully expect them to retaliate in some way, so you want this call on record.

I would have also documented this by saying the same thing in a message to Airbnb, so it is there in writing. I don’t trust Airbnb to document calls and you have no way of knowing whether they did or not.

Instead you made yourself a further victim by calling Airbnb 4 times, waiting for them to “do” something, instead of taking the matter onto your own hands.

This wouldn’t ensure that the booking guest might not still “report” you for something, but I also would have messaged the “guest” who made the 3rd party booking, told her what she did is unacceptable, that you are kicking out all the people she sneakily made the booking for, and that you have reported her to Airbnb, and that Airbnb is well aware that you fully disclose the cameras that you were able to see this violation on. That might have discouraged her from making her “report”.

1 Like

Well did almost all of that. I was under the understanding that airbnb was there to help
Me as a host I have learned from you all that is never the case. The guests even bad ones rule over Hosts.

So someone recommended I utilize twitter. I’m 68 so I said why not. Downloaded the app and boy did airbnb respond quickly and respectfully!!!

“We totally understand where you’re coming from. Be assured that we’ve relayed this information to your Support Ambassador who is assigned to address this matter. We can assure you that they are actively reviewing your concern details and will be sending you the latest update at the earliest.Thank you.”

I’ll keep Everyone posted!!! Fingers crossed this works.

1 Like

Why didn’t you ask them to upload a photo of themselves (presume you have box ticked on your listing that says you only accept guests with profile photos) @53Lindsley

1 Like

I presume you got airbnb to cancel immediately when you saw it was a third party booking?

Yes they are there to help with issues relating to their platform and with guest issues .

The only help you can expect from them if you get a third party booking is for them to cancel the booking so you can evict the guests.

What additional help were you expecting from a booking platform?

1 Like

I guess not to give the 3 rd party booking guest more power over me and suspending my listing. Soon it will cost me $2000 in
Lost revenue in mid July. I’ve called, emailed and tweeted them. They say they have escalated my suspension but nothing for 5 days now. Never was notified like many of you I went to my calendar and there it was. How can a break the rules guest have power over me a super host of mostly 4 years and not a blemish in my record? My husband says we should form a class action suit since I know I’m not alone with this problem. No notification at all. Airbnb acts like they are your partner. And control us with no information. It’s time we fight back as hosts!

That is against the Airbnb Terms of Service. I can assure you that you aren’t the first host who has made noise about doing such a thing.

Their TOS basically allows them to do whatever they want, including suspending or delisting you for any or no apparent reason. We all agreed to those terms when we signed up, whether we actually read them or not.

Hope they lift your suspension soon, though.

Well not what I want to hear Muddy but I’ve learned you seem to be well versed. So wonder we are abused as hosts by airbnb. I’m on VRBO too but don’t get many bookings bc I think people gravitate more to Airbnb.

I’d love to hear about others experience with other hosting sites With Evolve it sounds like more of a management site that is mote costly and Booking.com sounds like a possibility? Thoughts?

Well, I’m no more well-versed than anyone can be by simply sitting down and reading through their TOS.

Evolve isn’t a booking platform, as you say, it’s a management company, and happens to have a terrible reputation for poor treatment of both hosts and guests. Most of those huge property management companies do.

I personally have no experience with other platforms, so can’t help you out there. Booking.com is all Instant Book, which I will never do.

3 Likes

it is all instant book
They have started blocking phone numbers until after the 48 hour free cancellation period - my guess is that lots of hosts would contact the guest and ask them to cancel and book direct ( they can tell if the phone number is accessed)
B.con want you to have cancellations up to 24 hours before the arrival day.
They don’t support the payment of a no show.
I have had fake credit cards listed as payment
They don’t verify any guest
They allow 3rd party bookings
they want you to offer up to 30% discounts plus their 15% fees plus the Credit card fee.
They sacked the finance department over The Covid period.
They have moved their call centre to Asia.
They want the pricing to be the lowest on their site when a guest does a comparison search.
Just be aware of what you sign up for

2 Likes

My friend who has had a small hostel for 20 years tried them out. Got the worst quality of guests she’d ever had, thieves and slobs, tons of no-shows and to top it off she never got paid for any of the bookings. After arguing with them for awhile, she ditched them.

1 Like

Thanks Muddy! So i have another question… sounds like you have instant book turned off? Again I think I’ve been lucky; we’re the kind of place that has flowers out for our guests except in the dead of winter of course. And being historic I think it’s kept the rift raft away.

Also what’s your experience with home away and Now Vrbo?

I have never used Instant Book. Request only from day 1.

No experience with any other platforms- VRBO doesn’t list private room homeshares, which I have. There’s one platform I am planning to try out that might work for me, although they are not well-known, so I’m sure it won’t amount to many bookings. Go Lightly, which is a platform just for female hosts and female guests. (Men can stay as guests, but have to be booked by and be accompanied by, I think, a female.)

The basic idea of the platform is for women to feel safe when travelling alone, so it might work for me, as I host solo travellers in a private room. My rental season starts in the late autumn, so I wouldn’t have an idea of whether it’s worth signing up with them until spring 2023.

1 Like

Oh I could see mommas photo that’s how I was tricked into taking the reservation. She did not inform
Me she would not be staying at my home and that she was dropping off 12! 22 year olds that left my back door wide open for hours at a time with 90 degree temperatures and my paying for the air conditioning bc they were too lazy to turn a knob as they went into the house to get another beer! And for this my listing is suspended!

First let me say that I joined this forum to see if others had similar issues as my own so that I could hear their personal experiences. While I find many to be extremely helpful, there are a few who love to spout heresay and are complete naysayers. I personally don’t find that helpful in the least and I fear for people who may be in an immediate quandry and may rely on these folks’ opinions way too much.

Put si,ply, if you have so many bad things to say about airbnb, perhaps you shouldn’t be hosting with them. There are, afterall, many other platforms out there.

Regarding the matter at hand, we once had a similar yet not identical situation. A military gentleman made a booking for two people, himself and his partner, for our two bedroom unit. Since there is a big price difference between this unit and a studio apartment, I delicately inquired whether this would suit his needs. He said it would. The booking went smoothly. He mentioned their time of arrival and that they would have had a 12 hour drive.

He and his partner arrived in the evening just as my husband and I were walking out the gate for our walk. They did not have any luggage and when we asked where their car was they said they had problems finding the house so parked a few streets down and walked. We found it a bit odd but did not give it much thought.

We returned from our walk and presumed they had gone out because there were no lights on.

Next morning my husband woke me up very gently with my coffee in his hand and after I had some caffeine in me said “ You are really going to be upset. Come see.” Well, instead of the two people there were 14 adults and 4 children. They had taken the mattress apart, chairs were put together as bed, some were sleeping in lounge chairs by the pool and on the roof.White, handwoven bedspreads were laid out in pavement with undiapered babies. In short, it was disgusting and upsetting.

We immediately called airbnb. The first person we spoke to pretty well gave us a rehearsed party line. We hung up and called again. Second person was somewhat helpful but we needed immediate action since we could see people coming and going with our property in their bags. We demanded to speak with a supervisor and would not be appeased when told she would call us back.

From that point in all went well. While one of us called the police, she walked us through what we needed to tell the police, what photos we needed to take ( including the license plates of all cars parked near our home). She spent time calming us down and explaining the next steps. Later in the day she called us back and told us who would be contacting us, when and from what departments they would be from.

These “ guests” threatened us with a lawsuit for calling the police and having both airbnb and the police evict them.

It turns out there was a concert in town and the guy who had made the booking literally sold tickets to strangers to stay at our airbnb. Airbnb permanently removed him from the platform.

We were reimbursed for everything that was stolen and for the full , I think it was 4 or 5 nights booking though they had stayed only one night.

Every single person at airbnb who we had to deal with was kind, helpful and, at the time, most importantly they dealt with our near hysteria in a calming manner.

We were extremely grateful for everything that airbnb did for us. They did have our back that time when we were hosting and in 2 other occasions when we were guests in another country and were victims of profiling.

Of late I have had a lot of questions for airbnb relating to our rights as owners who have hired PMs. Whether in the chat line or verbally speaking with them, I have always requested a written copy of our dialogue and have always received it. ( I believe someone asked about this)

1 Like