Air host pushes guest down a flight of stairs

No-one is able so summarise whether someone is mentally ill by reading stories in the media and online. That’s something only a health professional who has done a proper assessment can do.

Hi Ellen I didn’t notice too much detail and I saw he pushed quite hard. I feel his intention is to get her out on feet, but not rolling down the stairs. No one want accident to happen at home and get sued or even go to prison. That man just lost his mind and judgement, he didn’t see it coming.

2 Likes

To me the story is no different whatever race the participants are. We cannot know what was in the “Host’s” mind or whether he would have used the same tactics with a white or Asian male or female who annoyed him (though I have a feeling he wouldn’t have tried it on a six foot four rugby player.)

So what do you do when you are justifiably pissed that your guest is 2 hours late for checkout? You let them know this isn’t acceptable, you speak very sternly (I guess you might even be a bit shouty if that’s your style), and you let them know you will be giving them a bad review. You do NOT EVER touch, grab or push them, no matter how angry you are. This is common assault, and any host who is unable to control his/her temper in this situation, no matter how goaded they think they are is unsuited to being a host.

And I don’t think in this case that Ellen is being over-dramatic. Stairs are one of the most common causes of fatal accidents in the home and if the young woman had been badly injured or worse then the guy would certainly be charged with causing grievous bodily harm or manslaughter (I don’t know, of course, what the Dutch system is.)

Anger Management classes at the very least for this guy!

3 Likes

At the moment, we have the guest saying that the host made racist remarks and of course it may well prove to be true. Whether that is a fact, will be a matter for the police, prosecution service and the courts to consider as part of any prosecution.

At the moment this isn’t a fact but an allegation.

What the Daily Mail is doing is quoting the guest.

A terrible, terrible situation.

All we can do is speculate on what happened and motivations.

The article doesn’t say the host is being charged with attempted murder, but a charge of attempted murder is being considered.

1 Like

Oh please!:roll_eyes:Somebody that would push a person down the stairs definitely has an issue! As far as professionals being able to assess and determine whether someone is mentally ill is bullshit anyway. There have been many studies on this. subjects would visit many different psychologists to get an assessment and each psychologist would make a different diagnosis! I know this to be true having had a relative who had been to many different psychologists and yes each psychologist had a different diagnosis! There was only one psychologist out of about 10 that had it completely pegged correctly! That was ,my cousin simply had a drug problem and needed to just stay off drugs and he would be fine. He was completely normal after staying off drugs. The only one that got it right !

Wow just because you disagree with someones opinion you don’t need to be so rude @diamond54

Someone doesn’t need to be mentally ill to push someone down the stairs, rather they could just have been someone who is frustrated and completely over-reacted and used unnecessary physical force,

Your point about your relative is irrelevant.

My point that you can’t define whether someone is mentally ill by reading media and social media reports stands.

4 Likes

Highly inappropriate behavior like pushing somebody down the stairs is a marker of potential mental illness that’s all I’m saying. I’m not rude. Obviously you’re not gonna change my opinion and I’m not going to change yours so what’s the point .

1 Like

I think that any reasonable person would believe that the host has serious anger management issues.

I never said that the host intended that the guest roll down the stairs. What I said is that he intentionally pushed her down the stairs.

Hi @diamond54

Calling what someone says ‘bullshit’ in response to a point you make is rude by any standards.

I am not trying to change your mind. I am pointing out you were rude.

I am sure if you re-read your words you will see that and hopefully apologise.

I guess you are calling me unreasonable then @EllenN :frowning:

I don’t think we can summarise that he is mentally ill, has anger management issues or anything else.

Yes his actions were completely inappropriate but we don’t know whether he intended to push her down the stairs or if he was trying to get her out of the apartment building. One is deliberate act with intent to harm and one is a terrible accident caused by his inappropriate behaviour.

2 Likes

And you won’t change my mind ! That is obvious !:blush:

Sometimes the lines are blurred. Not in this case: