Account Disabled, Please Help

Yeah it’s important. There’s a 14% transient occupancy tax (TOT) that is mandatory to collect and remit to the city of Los Angeles or else you can be audited by the IRS and end up owing a ton on money. You are supposed to report your income. Airbnb collects and remits on our behalf, however, they are the only site that offers that service- probably because the residents of Los Angeles are so hell bent on banning Airbnb from the county. Basically to save their asses, Airbnb took on the job of paying everyone’s transient taxes for them, assuring Los Angeles would get paid for every stay. For that reason, Airbnb remains in business because LA is making a huge profit on them. For all other sites, we have to note the profit and send in money every month to the office of finance, taking Airbnb as a deduction (if you’re on Airbnb) because they have filed for you and you don’t want to pay taxes twice obviously. However transient taxes only apply to overnight stays. If you rent your property out for say a production, an event, etc, that falls into a separate division and we are charged business tax. Business tax is great because we’re only charged $1.27 per every $1,000 that we make. Whatever that ends up being at the end of the year, we report it and pay yearly.

Lol, you don’t have to 'splain the situation in LA to me. I’m a host activist here. I don’t pretend to know what is going on vis a vis regulation in other cities, but I do know LA. You’ve got a lot to learn!

1 Like

You had said that you hadn’t heard of it so I was just trying to be helpful because I thought that that was what people do here. Honestly, is this the way this forum runs? Everyone just gets offended by everyone? I haven’t claimed to know everything and agree with you that I have a lot to learn but why is everyone so damn mean?

Really? You are calling us mean when you have received a ton of helpful advice?

Everyone?

The technique I attempt to use when dealing with forum members whose posts I don’t enjoy is to scroll on (I’m only successful about half the time.) There’s no obligation to read or respond to everything.

If you do stick around you will get to know the forum members and you will find that we can be quite helpful. But we are like any other forum, comments section or message board, there are going to be many members whose comments you don’t care for or agree with.

1 Like

Edit: Not everyone, but many. I can deal with it but it’s just sad to see coming from fellow hosts. I try to practice kindness when I give advice. It’s not necessary to belittle someone.

I know it’s not necessary but it’s human nature for some. And I never see any one who reacts well to being scolded about it. More often than not they become defensive and then attack again and try to back you into a corner so they can make you feel like the one who was wrong. So usually best to ignore it. (shuffles off to think about following my own advice…)

As I said, there are some really funny and helpful hosts here and it’s really worth the price of admission to deal with the others.

3 Likes

I think you may be feeling oversensitive about the Airbnb situation. It’s unfortunate but it may lead you to something better.