A very sad story

I imagine this host will be facing some legal trouble.

Even if not literal trouble, itā€™s going to haunt him the rest of his life.

7 Likes

What a tragedy. AirBnB will take the hit for a short term party house rental when itā€™s really a people problem. So sad.

7 Likes

I hope not. Airbnb said the listing specifies ā€œNo parties or eventsā€ and banned the guest. Hopefully, only the guest that rented and/or circulated the invitations (and probably collected an entrance fee) will actually be in legal trouble.

5 Likes

There are plenty of very expensive homes listed on Airbnb with remote hosts. The problem isnā€™t the home owner.

5 Likes

The problem isnā€™t Airbnb either but the media will insist on using it in headlines. Thereā€™s a link on the page to another article - 'What can Airbnb do about violence at its rentals?ā€™

Thatā€™s implying more than strongly that Airbnb is at fault.

4 Likes

Unfortunately a fifth person has passed away.
Thereā€™s a picture of the party info on the updated article.

This home/host had been reported before. He still didnā€™t have cameras or other measures? I didnā€™t see that heā€™d had this issue previously. I may have to revise my thoughts about him not bearing some of the responsibility.

3 Likes

So sad for families. Awful event.

Yes-the media will make it an Airbnb issue instead of People problems.

The article stated over 100 attendees, parties had been reported in past, & house known as party house.

I canā€™t imagine what it takes to own, furnish, cool, heat, pay taxes on, and pay for the upkeep of a $1.3M house. The idea of it being a party house would send me in to some kind of financial anxiety breakdown.

4 Likes

The article says he has not lived there since he purchased it and has had problems several times before. It sounds to me like he definitely needs to share the blame for what happened. He should at the very least have put cameras up, then he could have shut this down before anything happened.

This type of thing makes all Airbnb hosts look bad.

4 Likes

Especially because if anything at all happens at an Airbnb rental, the media is all over it. Iā€™ve never seen one that refers to a VRBO rental or a Homeaway rental or even just a short term rental.

They just latch on to Airbnb.

Whatā€™s surprising is that not one of these articles ever points out that itā€™s almost always situations with remote hosts and no co-host keeping an eye on the place.

2 Likes

Itā€™s only proves that Airbnb donā€™t know what the f*** they are doing. They have a flawed review system. As a matter of fact their whole business model needs to be fixed

1 Like
1 Like

I donā€™t think you should you revise this opinion at all. The real problem is gun ownership. Itā€™s quite scary how quickly blame is apportioned to an easy target rather than the actual source.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s not a particularly expensive home, not for SF, anyway.

ETA: I just saw that the house sold for 1.25 million in 2005. Iā€™m guessing the value is considerably higher than that now.

2 Likes

From a different articleā€”ā€œā€¦but Wang said he could see more people on video from his doorbell camera.ā€ Also the guest has been banned from Airbnb & the rental listing removed.

The owner had a camera and contacted the guest when people started showing up.

4 Likes

Well thatā€™s true everywhere and always. And I know from the El Paso shooting that what you hear locally, what is in the national media, what the conspiracy sites say and what actually happened are all different.

Thereā€™s plenty of blame to go around and this could happen anywhere. It happens at non Airbnbs every week in America. But if Airbnb can do anything to reduce the number of entire homes available to be rented for single night by investor owners then good for them.

4 Likes

We were remote hosts in a wealthy suburb in the Peninsula for a whole house rental that recently sold for multi millions. I will say a few things regarding this story:

1. I do think the host based on previous citations is more responsible than he would like to believe. Weā€™ve never been cited by our city. Yes, Airbnb is very lax when it comes to vetting. We had an incident where a teenager created an AI simulated photo of a person to create an account that appeared older than she was, to throw a high school party. But we caught it before it even started because the neighborhood had our back and we watched our cameras, capturing evidence during the day while they set up, and making Airbnb cancel their reservation. This was for a two night reservation.

Simply stating no parties is not enough. We use language paraphrased such as ā€œwe will call the Sheriff.ā€

1. It doesnā€™t surprise me that this was self managed by an absent older Chinese couple. I say this because it reminds me of my Chinese parents who think all we do is slap some photos online and ā€œthatā€™s management.ā€ The story that they were unable to sell the house on the market and turned to Airbnb afterwards is also similar to the story of how my husband and I came to take over our family home as well. People think far too little of proper Airbnb hosting and management.

One night booking for a big house on Halloween night? Come on.

1. Iā€™m glad we sold our home because every year some high schooler tries to throw a party at our house and it is super stressful. After four years, one got through our fingertips and it happened within our first months of hosting and it was through VRBO. :joy:
7 Likes

But how would that really contribute? Seriously. Airbnb is so NOT the issue here.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know. One less party house is one less. Just like every gun taken off the street is one less gun. I donā€™t oppose gun regulations just because I doubt they will work. (see edit below) So I donā€™t mock Airbnb trying to do something, anything.

1 Like