A particularly well written listing

I thought I had plenty of details in mine, but this listing puts me to shame. And I don’t know about Bali prices, but those prices look relatively reasonable for a three bedroom luxury villa. And here I think luxury really means luxury.

I think I may add an FAQ to mine too, though I couldn’t possibly compete with all that stuff. And does anyone know how that to do those arrows?

I’d be interested to see other examples of particularly well written listings.

1 Like

➔ Ask me how!

➔ ➜ ➙ ➛ ➝ ➞ ➟ ➠ :arrow_right:︎ ➢ ➣ ➤ ➥ ➦ ➧ ⥤ ➪

4 Likes

If you’re on a mac…
go to System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard, and make sure that Show Keyboard and Character Viewer in menu bar is checked.

Then , click on the Keyboard viewer, and click on Show Character Viewer. You will see an option in the sidebar for “Arrows”. Select the one you want and double click it to put it into whatever it is you are typing.

1 Like

Faheem, how could you? The lap of sunny luxury to dream of in the depths of winter, with snow threatened for the weekend here. And I now have to check the Balinese exchange rate to boot! Okay, so it’s log fires and only 89ft according to google to the pub but I HATE winter.

Can’t help on the arrow front but Barns has reappeared to proffer his expertise. And I am certain this listing, however luxurious, does not put you to shame. Perhaps their prices have been lowered, given their situation with the volcanic activity? You’ve made me realise that all has gone quiet on that front here in the UK. I don’t even know if the airport is open again.

1 Like

Hi @Barns,

Thanks for the instructions.

Sadly, I’m not on a Mac. Actually, I’m not sad, but it seems the expected thing to say. I use Debian. I wonder if all these arrows are Unicode? I suppose this forum supports Unicode. And I can figure out how to type Unicode characters.

Hi @Joan,

How are you doing, as the Americans say? So I take it you are not planning your winter getaway to sunnier climes? What news of the Pain Clinic expedition? Did I mention that it sounded utterly horrific? If not, I meant to. The needles, I mean. Not the expedition. As a child I was utterly terrified of needles, though for some reason it never occurred to me to tell anyone. (I didn’t have the healthiest family, growing up.)

For no particular reason, that makes me think of the quote by Cecil Rhodes

Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life.

I wonder whether he thought Englishwomen had won a lottery too. Let’s suppose he did. So, snowy winters, but hey, you won a lottery! Just kidding.

Sorry, I’m inclined to non sequiturs. It’s a character flaw, no doubt.

I’m fairly certain it does. In the best Indian traditions, I aim for the lofty heights of barely adequate. Luxurious this is not.

I haven’t been keeping up with the volcano news. But I’m guessing whatever volcano this is, it isn’t particularly close to our neighborhood. A quick check sugests this is probably Bali’s Mount Agung.

Though we did get some unseasonal rain in the last couple of days. A cyclone in the Arabian Sea or something. With the unfortunate name of Ockhi. (I wonder who names these things.)

I don’t like the arrows. I think it is too much visual noise that actually distracts from reading the words. I use simple dashes for bullets in my listing and I prefer it.

3 Likes

It’s not a bad way to highlight things. The fact that it’s a little unusual actually helps it to stand out. But, different strokes.

I didn’t think the listing was all that special. I hated the arrows and the denseness of the text. The FAQ was okay, but the content before then was somehow incomplete. A good writer would be able to integrate these areas better.

And, does anyone actually see a comfortable chair? Seems really empty and stark to me with just very hard edges everywhere.

But I don’t look all that great in a swim suit, so maybe it is just as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought the author did a good job of combining information with marketing. Not that she needs to do much marketing with a place like that. And without skimpily clad female models, too. But, well, different strokes. Wait, did I say that already?

@faheem, if you load a list of unicode characters, in the symbol or punctuation subset you should be able to get such characters. I use some on my listing too, although I think the referenced host has overdone it.

Some Linux distros allow you to type special characters, but haven’t had to use it lately, I get all my special chars on my keyboard layout. I was going to fetch you some links, but you’re a techie, so you should be able to dig them up! Bonne chance!

Yes, I know how to do that, at least in theory. You have to configure a special key. And light testing suggests it’s working. Though one still needs to know what to type to get a particular character.

You do cheer and make me laugh! Doing better on the pain front, and thank you for asking. Not brill, but betterish. Serves me right for pretending I could dig some roots up in the garden like I used to be able to do. As for needles, I had a childhood phobia that so embarrassed my medic (Shrink…) dad, he did our childhood jabs at home himself. This led to a number of episodes of “running away” after spotting the signs of impending jabbing. You might not remember the old cars with one front seat but I went to meet him from work one lunchtime, got in the car and spotted the (newly invented) disposable syringes etc and thought “meeee”! I hid with the chickens until teatime. Not for me of course. Other times hiding at the top of the airing cupboard and in the old larder, in a cupboard. The best though, was under the kitchen sink in plain sight; took them hours to find me. Let’s set up a club for not having the healthiest families growing up, and from me, that’s despite the Shrink. Or because of.

No, no long haul flight(s), alas, to Penang. It was too much, and sort of cancelled out doing anything intensively worthwhile. But I’m thinking of a return to S. Goa.

I suspect Cecil Rhodes steered clear of women whom he might have identified as having (not) won the lottery of being Englishwomen at that time, let alone those who knew/realised they hadn’t. They would have scared him rigid!

1 Like

Snowing and freezing here, if it was not for the Volcano…

Hi @Joan,

When someone was going to inject me as a child, I didn’t have the spirit or the initiative to run away. I used to just sit and be quietly terrified. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that my parents and I had a communication problem.

That would be rather a large club. And really, it ought to exist already.

That’s too complicated a sentence to follow. It’s the middle of the night here…

Sorry to hear that you will not be having a Pain Vacation. When are you planning to go to Goa? It’s a popular destination for my guests here. I haven’t quite figured out why.

1 Like

Theoretically, it’s a good idea. They basically did their own FAQ on the Airbnb page. Execution gets 1 star :wink:

try fbsymbols.com and just copy and past the image you want to use

I get it…

That was on purpose, right?

Hi @KKC,

Actually, no. I fear you do me too much credit, but I’m not complaining.

Would you care to explain what was “on purpose”? Possibly an unintended witticism.

Different strokes [for different folks]. I thought it was a pun on different key strokes for different folks. Some people like the arrows, some don’t.