A crazy day with guest who act to have no money

The guests arrived and they refused to pay deposit…actually most of the guests say they don’t know about the deposit (100% westeners say they don’t know about there is deposit. But i think that is not true. They just act.100% asian pay deposit without any problem.) Today my new guests refuse to pay deposite with very bad excuse like not having cash, the bank has limit of xxx dollor.He tried to act every thing: anxious-crying-angry-bedding

I don’t trust all this bullshit at all and say directly: Are you serious? You are lying…If you don’t pay i am afraid you have to leave here because this is against my houserule and airbnbsrule and if you cancel the room that is non refundable…then the guy took 80% of the deposite out of his pocket and said : if i give you this i have no money to buy food…

I think he is going to give me bad rating because of this.

How do you act with such people?

I Think trying to charge people a cash ‘deposit’ for an airbnb listing is against the TOS. Were you planning to leave airbnb soon?

4 Likes

Chen,

I don’t know if Airbnb rules are different in other countries. But in the U.S. hosts are not allowed to collect a cash deposit. They can enter in a certain amount of damage deposit and guest agrees this amount can be used if the host needs to claim damages. But Airbnb does not actually collect the deposit. They only try to charge the credit card on file if the host makes a claim, and if the guest agrees to pay the charges.

5 Likes

Well, let’s hope he does. Why are you asking for a deposit???

6 Likes

Is Airbnb different in Asia? Because in the US all monies including deposit are paid to Airbnb only and they hold it. You will never see the deposit money at all unless you claim damage. Demanding cash … I hope your guests called Airbnb customer service for help.

Not as far as I know. And I’m in Asia. All the money is supposed to be “held” by Airbnb like everywhere else.

2 Likes

One of the reason people use Airbnb is so they don’t have to put up with this kind of garbage. All the money details are supposed to be agreed on before the guests arrive and it all goes through Airbnb. No cash is exchanged. It’s 2016!!!

It sounds like you run your place like some kind of 3rd world flea bag motel.

6 Likes

@faheem . True but as we know, Chen is a law unto herself :wink:

3 Likes

These poor guests. Sigh.

7 Likes

last time the guests made my wall dirty and airbnb didn’t pay me the money back. It just deleted the review of both sides. If you don’t charge deposit for your furniture that is your problem but i have right to do so coz my place is very expensive. All my furniture is luxury products.

1 Like

Girl, you need to stop hosting and find something else to do. Seriously.

12 Likes

I am talking about deposit for the furniture and extra cost not for the room rate.

Set up the deposit ahead of time in your settings! You can’t ask for it upon arrival!

2 Likes

You’re breaking Airbnb rules. Put a deposit in the listing and handle it through Airbnb. Why do you think you’re above the rules that other hosts follow?

I don’t associate cash deposits with “luxury.”

Would a 5 Star hotel do that? No. It’s part of the credit card transaction.

The kind of place I expect a cash deposit would be an SRO in the bad part of town…serving junkies, hookers and borderline homeless people.

2 Likes

There is one item on airbnbwebsite : security deposit. And you know what, i have never heard that if the guest broke some furniture in the room he booked, that airbnb pays it back. 99,9% is the host gets nothing. The insurance of airbnb is total bullshit.

I despair…

Hey Chen, I found another host today who has a banned list like you do. They won’t have pregnant women as guests. Do you feel the same way?

4 Likes

There is the host protection, million dollar thing, which may or may not be BS.

You also have the option to add a deposit, just like a regular landlord, but THROUGH Airbnb.

They are two different things.

Someone is going to report you for charging a cash deposit outside of the Airbnb platform and Airbnb will terminate you, because it’s against the rules.

You benefit from the Airbnb brand, website, advertising, you have to play by their rules.

If you don’t want to, that’s fine. List your property privately on Craigslist or Gumtree or whatever exits in your area.

1 Like

Don’t fee the troll! LOL

6 Likes

I charge a deposit and Airbnb holds it. It’s simple. A dirty wall is not anything you can charge people for unless you have to repaint it.

1 Like

True. She is, isn’t she?

1 Like