4 stars by mistake?

I’ve had 2 guests recently who gave me 4 stars in one or more category alongside a fully positive review. (I’ve 4.9 from 108 reviews so I worry when it’s not a 5). So I asked them very amicably what I’d done to lose a star. Both replied that they thought they’d given me 5. Now, before you tell me obviously they could be lying, they both said they meant to do 5 and they had no complaints. They both also said they’d try to change it. (I know they can’t). One explained that she’d found it hard on her phone to get the stars. I believe her as I have had a similar problem a couple of times writing reviews when there only seems to be 4 stars outlined.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I got a one star by mistake once. Aside from that I don’t give it any thought but I get almost all 5 stars so I don’t have to think about it. But mistakes do happen.

Was the communication on the Airbnb platform? If yes call Airbnb and see if they will change it.

There’s no point in calling- they won’t change star ratings, even if the guest phones them, says they made an error and begs them to. Waste of time.

On Glamping Hub my recent guest gave 4 stars for “natural surroundings” !! The rest are 5* I wrote her and pointed it out. Maybe she made a mistake. I do not know if she can change it. I don’t think our listing makes light of the fact that we are near a big city and there are homes that guests can see, but should I make it clearer? The lead photos show proximity of our roof, but the neighbors houses 100’s of yards away are not really shown.

The communication was on the site and they did both say they would call Airbnb but I said not to bother. I assumed there would be a rule that it couldn’t be changed, or there would be the risk of intimidation.

It seems you’re doing really well anyway and your place looks great. I assume, if there are houses nearby, there are also shops, restaurants etc? You could make a virtue of being a getaway but also easy access to amenities?

gypsy

November 26

On Glamping Hub my recent guest gave 4 stars for “natural surroundings” !! The rest are 5* I wrote her and pointed it out. Maybe she made a mistake. I do not know if she can change it. I don’t think our listing makes light of the fact that we are near a big city and there are homes that guests can see, but should I make it clearer? The lead photos show proximity of our roof, but the neighbors houses 100’s of yards away are not really shown.

[Airbnb](https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/29389628)

“TINY TIKI RETRO HIDEAWAY” CLIFF-TOP VIEW - Campers/RVs for Rent in…

Entire home/apt in Chatsworth, United States. With a combination of spectacular view and luxury camping, the “Tiny Tiki Retro Hideaway” is a unique glamping experience. Relax and retreat on a s…

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words and advice Caroline. I was so shocked to see the 4* that’s all, we have all 5 otherwise. We have some small potted trees that hopefully will flourish and hide the ugly mansion that is 200 yards away…
I hope to have time to change and condense my wording verbage on my listing(s) and my stored communications files this winter! Not to mention further improvements of course!

I just got 4 stars for communication with this personal note to go with it: “No issues whatsoever.” Really? Then why did you give me 4 stars instead of 5, when you gave me 5 overall and 5 in every other category except communication? Dang.

Don’t worry, the sub categories don’t really count for much but our pride.

1 Like

I just read something here I don’t remember seeing before

That seems to say you can have a review that you wrote removed. I didn’t think they would do that. If that includes the star ratings, too, then guests/hosts could at least fix their mistakes by removing their reviews.

1 Like

Interesting. The ‘contacting us’ link doesn’t go anywhere though.

Is that true about the subcategories? I’ve been fretting about the 4s I’ve been getting for value. Everything else is 5 and my husband just says it shows I’m not undercharging! I assumed guests see the subcategories. Don’t they?

1 Like

Guests can see your subcategories, they are right above your reviews on your listing page. They don’t count towards your overall star rating, though, and don’t count towards your Superhost requirements so far as I am aware.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s very helpful, Georgia.

georgiahost

January 3

Caroline_Bradbeer:
I assumed guests see the subcategories. Don’t they?

Guests can see your subcategories, they are right above your reviews on your listing page. They don’t count towards your overall star rating, though, and don’t count towards your Superhost requirements so far as I am aware.

I am convinced the way to fix this is to add amenities rather than reducing price. A basket of snacks or fancier bedding go a long way towards showing guests that they are getting more for their dollar.

Thanks. That’s a good idea. I already give them a bottle of sparkling wine, a jar of homemade jam, Kinder eggs for children, dog treats if they’re bringing a dog. Also any fresh garden produce (but it’s only cabbage at this time of the year!). But I might add a packet of crisps (chips in the US).

georgiahost

January 3

Caroline_Bradbeer:
I’ve been fretting about the 4 s I’ve been getting for value.

I am convinced the way to fix this is to add amenities rather than reducing price. A basket of snacks or fancier bedding go a long way towards showing guests that they are getting more for their dollar.

I agree with @georgiahost. Unless something has changed, the sub-categories don’t affect your Superhost qualifications and don’t affect your search ranking. It does show up on your listing.

We complain here often about how arbitrary the Value (and Location) ratings are because the guests freely chose to stay there. Nonetheless, try not to worry if you can help it. We don’t have a lot of control over Value and Location ratings. Guests will ding you on value because they’re annoyed about the AirBnB service fees and taxes. I’ve been dinged on Value when I’ve rented my suite in the off-season for $45 a night, yet gotten 5/5 Value when I’ve rented for $180 in high-season. I try to shrug and laugh at how arbitrary this rating us. My efforts are better focused on things I have control over, like cleanliness and communication.

3 Likes