30+ day amenities

Good info., thanks. I’m assuming they’ll bring whatever is in their cupboard/fridge/freezer since they’re only moving in from 2 miles away but I’ll still have my basic starter pack like I would for a STR. They’re familiar w/the local stores and stuff; I put ice cream bars for the kids and wine/snacks for the adults as a ‘welcome’ plus my normal coffee, tp, cleaning supplies, shampoo, etc.

Thanks for all the opinions!

1 Like

What if your guest doesn’t clean the showers, toilets, oven/range, sinks, floors, or never changes their sheets for 30+ days? :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Almost all the seasoned hosts at this forum do. It means that you are in control. It’s likely that there are some guests who aren’t as careful in a rented place than they are in their own home.

Are they going to shampoo carpets, clean behind the fridge, launder the shower curtain, clean the windows, clean every piece of crockery, scrupulously clean the microwave, dust the ceiling fan, etc. etc. etc?

Another reason for the host or co-host to go in every week is to keep an eye on the place. For example, are they leaving food out that attracts ants, do they have the AC set to a ridiculous level, is the shower in danger of being stopped up by hair, have they broken anything, etc. etc. ?

The chances are that they’ll be perfectly lovely guests but they’ll be even more perfect and even more lovely if they know that someone is going in once a week.

I doubt anyone is that gross but I guess it could happen. I still wouldn’t invade their privacy by coming in. I would look at it as a benefit of not having to turn over the house again as soon.

1 Like

Couch it in terms that make it sound as though it’s something you’re doing for their benefit. ‘We’ll change the beds so you’ll have lovely fresh sheets and bring new towels for you…’

Who wouldn’t want to free cleaner? :wink:

Truly in years I’ve always had the guests appreciate it.

Yes, they can be that gross. Or simply inconsiderate. A neighbour of mine had a three month tenant who redecorated the bedroom in a revolting shade of green and painted the white wicker furniture dark brown. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Wow, they painted the wall and the chair? The worst I’ve had is my artwork moved around from wall to wall and lamps placed in different rooms but I’ve never had anyone do anything nasty and I had stretches where I wasn’t in the house for over 4 months.

I guess I vet my people so well, almost to a fault, that I am lucky I have not run into these situations. But I also turn down a lot of people if I don’t get a good feeling and it’s not a sole source of income whatsoever so I have the flexibility to be more discriminating.

I also have wonderful maids who look under unusual chairs that you wouldn’t normally look under to see if anything is there, clean all of the wood shutters, clean the ceiling fans and there is a lot of dust in Arizona! I have only been doing this less than 3 years as well so maybe I just haven’t experienced the worst of it. I did have a guess who left candle wax all over the house and stole my key and then disappeared but then later I found her online to be locked up in prison so it made sense that she did what she did to my property. Such a disgrace. That is why I vet people so well.

One of the great things about this forum is the variety of hosts. I, and others here, use Instant Book so we don’t vet at all. :wink:

The walls, the chair, the bedhead, the dresser, the two nightstands…

2 Likes

Puffs plus is wonderful and will not chap your nose. Luxury.

@jaquo has influenced me. After a Rocky experience with IB a few years ago, I’m trying it again. So far I’ve gotten 3 IB bookings this summer.

(Btw my dog’s name is Rocky so autocorrect capitalizes it every time-I don’t fix it anymore, tired of fighting it)

2 Likes

Luckily I’ve not run into any really dirty things, except the BBQ which was covered in sauce. But otherwise, nothing too bad. Fingers crossed!

Oh yes, they can.

Not trying to be an asshole here, but experienced hosts know that you simply can’t vet guests like you think you can, and you’ve even proven the point. I read a study about scams that had data on how most people think they can tell when other people are lying but yet most people are wrong.

4 Likes