What % of the revenue do you give to your landlord?

Sorry confused. Are you in Scotland?

Do let me know Iā€™d be happy to switch products if I could get contents !

1 Like

@JanaM is in Scotland. She says she couldnā€™t get normal insurance in the UK. Actually she couldnā€™t in Scotland.

1 Like

@Helsi
I do not know if Admiral does it,I have insurance from Intasure

Ok I donā€™t think we have this problem in England or my insurers would have refused to cover meā€¦ to be honest Iā€™ve never heard of such a situation !

When Iā€™m back I will ask them if the situation you describe is possible here in England. If it is it changed things for sure ā€¦

Interested to see how hosts in the states have coped with this as it seems that even if you the renter take out all policies necessary your landlord will be claimed against and your own policy ignored ? I find that incredible ā€¦

2 Likes

Homeowners in England: Do you guys have these situations there? I admit insurance in the US is a different animal.
I saw this firsthand when I went to rent a car in Italy. I was all worried about insurance, like if you rent a car in the US, you should get the daily CDW. Well in Italy, they had no idea what I was talking about. They insisted I didnā€™t need insurance and I was free to drive away! They didnā€™t even take down a credit card deposit.

@konacoconutz
I think in England and Scotland you can get insurance for everything :smiley:

Yeah never heard of that product (daily CDW) either.

Iā€™d guess a landlord is actually in a better position legally if their tenant does Airbnb behind their back because they canā€™t be held responsible for something they donā€™t know about. In that situation the law would fall heavily on the tenant and the landlord couldnā€™t be liable?

Now in a situation where the landlord knows, gave full persmission and something happened ā€¦yep theyā€™d be liable as would the tenant and an individual could choose to go after one or both people.

This is all theoretical ā€¦ we really donā€™t have the personal injury stuff like you guys do in the states. Possibly because we have the NHS so no huge medical bills. Iā€™m just guessing ā€¦ genuinely have no idea.

umā€¦ I wouldnā€™t make that assumption. Ignorance may not be bliss.

Itā€™s their property, their responsibility and their liability. But thatā€™s why I am asking English owners who know about these things like insurance there.

Is it no big deal if the tenant does Air, and are you not liable if something happens?

1 Like

I can only say Iā€™ll ask my insurers if the situation you describe is possible in England. The situation you describe is pretty unheard of over here.

I have an insurance product that covers guests for personal injury but you seem to be saying that wouldnā€™t be sufficient as theyā€™d go after my landlord. I havenā€™t ever heard of that and I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible in England. @JanaM can this happen in Scotland? im assuming not as your landlord didnā€™t raise it as a concern ā€¦

Yes I could be liable if something happens ā€¦(although again how likely it is I donā€™t know) so I took out insurance. But you seem to be saying that someone would look to either claim against my landlord or against both of us ā€¦ never heard of that before ā€¦ Iā€™d have to get advice which I definitely will.

For example though if you got injured on holiday ā€¦ here in the UK youā€™d claim against your holiday insurance. The insurance I have more protects the building though yes it does have that personal injury element which I always thought was a bit of a ruse ā€¦,

I mean itā€™s good you got insurance, but make sure what you are paying for really covers your landlord too. It may not unless he or she is a named insured. And you would probably have to then disclose you are doing Air in order for them to add the landlord to your policy. But again, if English homeowners could enlighten us, that would be helpful.

I did disclose I was doing air :slight_smile:

I had to be 100% upfront in order to be sure the policy covered me properly. I disclosed a) I was renting and b) that I was doing Airbnb.

If I hadnā€™t been able to get the policy I would never have done Airbnb. So now youā€™ve pointed this out I am taking it 100% seriously and will ask them when Iā€™m back in the U.K.

I donā€™t have any guests at the moment and donā€™t do until Iā€™m back (the long term guest left at the end of November). Iā€™ll be making sure I know the situation before anyone else stays.

Really did think Iā€™d done what I needed to do :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks Iā€™ll try them too.

I had a job where I dealt with Willis for insurance, and our account manager said this. There is always an insurer willing to insure if youā€™re willing to pay the premium. :slight_smile:

This is how it works in England as well.

It is the property owner that can be liable and there could be quite a few tenants involved. Itā€™s because they can be easier to hunt down unless the lease is registered (e.g. itā€™s a leasehold property). Most property owners will have public liability insurance as a matter of good business practice.

For residential tenants (e.g. assured shorthold tenancies) who are subletting/sublicensing, they should have contents insurance and perhaps public liability especially if theyā€™re cooking or otherwise.

A claimant (or their insurer) will go after whoever can be held liable and then those who are likely to pay out. Most insurers will prudently verify facts to ensure they are not being scammed.

1 Like

Thanks Ash you seem to know a bit about this. So as far as youā€™re aware the product I have is suitable cover? I donā€™t have contents as already noted but do have that public liability/ personal injury bit.

edit; though im still going to call Aviva to make doubly sure. My situation fits point two in your response but I will definitely get clarification. Have you ever heard about landlords being named on tenants policies?

I believe that this is possible in many areas of this country, but it isnā€™t as easy as you have made it sound. In order to win a judgement, the case would need to prove gross negligence and a total disregard for the safety of the guests. And, the guests would need to continue to return to the area that the suit has been filed to testify in court, and give their depositions. I donā€™t think anyone would do this unless they were, in fact, egregiously harmed.

Here in MA we have the homestead exemption. No one is every going to get my house an award in a lawsuit. For a lifetime fee of $40, we can claim our homes as our homestead which takes this asset of the table for ANY judgement. I highly recommend investigating if this options exists in your state, and if it doesnā€™t, start advocating to bring this law into play.

2 Likes

No I mean to the landlord! :smile:

1 Like

Ahhhhh! I thought Iā€™d already stated this somewhere in another threadā€¦I had to have that conversation when I decided to go travelling and wanted to sublet. It wasnā€™t an issue. It seemed irresponsible to not be upfront at that pointā€¦anything can happen while Iā€™m away and so it would have been crazy not to let him know someone else was going to be in the property COOKING which I donā€™t allow guests to do if Iā€™m there.

I had visions of fires starting (yes the same dreams I had in LA) and since I canā€™t tell someone they canā€™t cook for months on end I had to tell my landlord.