What % of the revenue do you give to your landlord?

This question is of course for those who are renting a property. I am also assuming you have an agreeement with your landlord to use airbnb. Thanks.

Hello! Iā€™m a renter so happy to answer. My landlord gets 0% but then Iā€™ve never made more than the rent (live in host). Iā€™d actually be interested to know if there are any markets where youā€™d make more than the rent as a live in host, my suspicion Is probably no. Living out yeah Iā€™d make a killing but then I would have nowhere to live ā€¦

Whatā€™s the reason for the question ? Are you a landlord considering letting your tenant do Airbnb or are you a tenant ?

I am doing an air bnb for my wife family for an appartment. I am paying a regular rent they will get if they will do normal renting. I am paying a fix price every month.

I am a tenant who wants to do airbnb, thatā€™s why I wanted to know what kind of arrangement people usually have with their landlords to do airbnb.

Has your landlord asked for a specific amount ? I guess theyā€™ll be the one dictating terms ā€¦

No. I didnā€™t bring the subject for discussion yet, but the lack of concrete answers to this topic make me think that either most people in the forums are owners or people is subleasing without their landlord awarenessā€¦

Very possible. Most people on here are owners but maybe they can help by saying what theyā€™d find acceptable vis-a-vis a percentage. Thereā€™s also the question of what counts as subletting (in both Australian and U.K. Law youā€™re not subletting if youā€™re resident in the property also).

I personally think your first issue is finding out how your landlord feels about you doing Airbnb. The question about percentages really doesnā€™t matter if heā€™s going to say no anyway.

2 Likes

Sheā€™s right. You are putting the cart before the horse. Find the landlord first. The chances you will find someone agreeable are pretty low, but if you approach it like a business proposition perhaps it might workā€¦ offer a percentage in addition to the rent, plus agree in writing that you will maintain Comet or some other insurance (Airā€™s wonā€™t cover you if you are not the owner) as well as take responsibility for maintaining the property. Air creates a ton of wear and tear on a place. Pay the utilities.

. Also protect yourself. Get an agreement in writing so that they canā€™t boot you out for subletting.

As you know we come down pretty hard on renters doing Air here, especially when they are ā€œsneaking.ā€ However, I like your honesty and integrity.

3 Likes

I rent and then sublet various apartments, all with my landlordsā€™ permission. I have three separate landlords and rent a total of 10 apartments. I also own 5 of my listings. In each case, I pay the landlord the market rent, and I take care of the maintenance of the buildings (all small, none more than 6 units). I donā€™t pay them any percentage of the revenue but I do try to be an absolute model tenant so that they never have cause to regret our arrangement. So far so good!

What you describe is similar to an an arrangement a host in London has with a landlord. He gets a guaranteed rent she lists the properties on Airbnb. I think his guaranteed rent is probably slightly higher than market rate but thatā€™s all he wantedā€¦ he actually declined a share of the profits in exchange for set rent, and in many ways it makes senseā€¦ guaranteed income over maybe income.

Isnā€™t that illegal with the current rules in NYC? I thought NYC was 1 host 1 house.

1 Like

Well, this is a world forum. What applies for NYC does not necessarily apply for every city in the world. In Slovakia (where I live) there are for instance no regulations in regards to AirBNB.

But there will probably be regulations in regard to subletting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I rent and AirBNB with owner permission. Owner thought it was a neat idea, but requested that I get a co-signer and pay two months deposit, just in case my business plan failed, he would be safe. He did not ask for a percentage of the AirBNB revenue.

Yeah, itā€™s illegal in most places, not just New York.

Lets not start judging hosts for doing what they do.

Such a sweeping and broad generalization! What makes you think Az is making a judgment on any host? Perhaps she hosts in a few settings with a zillion more regulations than NYC and does everything she can and more to be legal and comply with the law, including paying big bucks for permits.

1 Like

Maybe she does. I donā€™t care and didnā€™t comment about her hosting situation, but iā€™ve had enough of people pointing out that Airbnb is illegal.

So, I am not allowed to call out someone who posted that they are blatantly breaking the law!? In NYC it is 100000% illegal to do what the above poster said. See below in case you forgot. [quote=ā€œsuperhostnyc, post:9, topic:10055ā€]
have three separate landlords and rent a total of 10 apartments. I also own 5 of my listings.
[/quote]

This person rents 15 apartments in a city that has a strict 1 host 1 house rule. They are then telling people its okay and hereā€™s how I grease my landlords pockets. Letā€™s not forget this person said they rented 10 of these apartments, which in NYC puts the actual landlord at risk of paying hefty fines. Nothing about that scenario is right.

@Secrets Iā€™m sorry you are sick of people saying ā€˜AirBNB is illegalā€™ should we also stop saying ā€˜Murder is illegalā€™? Some places ABB is illegal, there is no room for interpretation.

3 Likes

I think the point isā€¦ @superhostnyc knows that heā€™s doingā€¦ so maybe we should just let him get on with it.

I know where youā€™re coming from @azreala though

Yeah, this is exactly what I am talking about.

This is a forum for Airbnb Hosts! Maybe you are looking for a forum for housing activists or something.