What % of the revenue do you give to your landlord?

Does you Landlord know you are doing Air BNB or just subletting?

I think @konacoconutz was trying to make point about disclosing the to the landlord so they can get the proper insurance required.

1 Like

My landlord knows I took a long term guest on airbnb.

Sorry if you answered this somewhere elseā€¦are you only doing long term rentals on ABB? Or are you also doing short term?

1 Like

Well thatā€™s good that you let her know. But yikes! If you are worried about cooking and fires you definitely need to find out about the insurance and what and who is covered.

Iā€™m away travelling so I arranged one long term rental and told my landlord. Were I there I would do short termā€¦ but under totally different terms as my short term guests arenā€™t allowed to cook.

EDIT: technically itā€™s a short term rental as anything under 6 months is short term in the U.K. But itā€™s a much longer booking than most would do on airbnbā€¦

EDIT 2: Not that it matters but I should also say the person letting it on airbnb is paying only what covers my rent. I didnā€™t make any profit from arranging the sublet via airbnb (in fact I lost a bit because I forgot to take some utilities into account). Iā€™m going to gave to get over my squeamishness of making money I guess or I wonā€™t be a great business womanā€¦

Yes I am very worried about fire risks - and until todayā€™s conversation I was sure I was covered. Iā€™ll have to check when Iā€™m back home but of course by then Iā€™ll be resident again anywayā€¦so no cooking!

I didnā€™t mean to worry youā€¦ but just make sure the insurance you are paying for offers the coverages you need. I would imagine you can email them from Mexico-- or wherever you are to find out so you donā€™t have to worry the rest of your trip. Maybe they can just add your landlordā€™s name to your policy.

1 Like

Yes if I had a guest staying right now I would make an international call. However the long term guest left at the end of November and no-one else is staying while Iā€™m away. It can wait until Iā€™m home. But thank you it hadnā€™t crossed my mind my cover could be insufficientā€¦

1 Like

In the U.S. it behooves an owner of any kind of property to know exactly what is being done with or on the property. We have Civil Asset Seizure which means that if it is suspected that your property is being used for illegal activities it can be seized regardless of whether you were aware of the illegal activity.

1 Like

Unless I misunderstood it, it seems to be suggesting that if you are suspected of getting cash or property through crime, under civil-forfeiture you can have those assets seized without your guilt being proven. Whatā€™s not clear to me is why you would be suspected of a buying a home though crime as a landlordā€¦

It sounds like you didnā€™t read the entire article. You donā€™t have to be suspected of a crime. An example toward the end of the article is a couple who had their house seized because unbeknownst to them, their son sold a small amount of marijuana from the house.

1 Like

to quote the article:The basic principle behind asset forfeiture is appealing. It enables authorities to confiscate cash or property obtained through illicit means, and, in many states, funnel the proceeds directly into the fight against crime.

why would a landlords home be obtained through illicit means and therefore subject to forfeiture?

Or is the point of the article that forfeiture is being abused by the state?

I was responding to this contention of yours, ā€œIā€™d guess a landlord is actually in a better position legally if their tenant does Airbnb behind their back because they canā€™t be held responsible for something they donā€™t know about. In that situation the law would fall heavily on the tenant and the landlord couldnā€™t be liable?ā€ My point is that in the U.S. you can lose your assets if someone does something illegal using your asset ā€œbehind your backā€. An example would be if a landlord rented a property to a tenant who then rented the property to others via Airbnb without the landlordā€™s knowledge. If the guest did something illegal the property owner could lose the property.

2 Likes

illegal in that article seems to suggest very specific criminal activity - Iā€™m not sure if a tenant subletting against their rental contract (which is what airbnb would) falls under the remit outlined in the article youā€™ve highlighted. The disagreement would be between the landlord and the tenant.

Iā€™m throwing in the towel because clearly you didnā€™t read the article or my comments.

2 Likes

Sorry - I just canā€™t follow the logic.

In my earlier response I was talking about personal liability because someone for example hurt themselves in the rental. Suddenly youā€™re talking about criminal activity leading to forfeiture. I am not following how it fits in with my earlier comments, or indeed why the article you quoted is relevant.

Iā€™m not american so ā€¦no doubt someone will come along with an explanation.

Iā€™m off to bed. Night night!

@Zandra
I rented the flats empty,I have agreement with my landlords that I will do minor repairs,I fix if my guests break anything.They never raised any concern and did not ask me to get insurance.I did research before I started and I found out I should have insurance.I have Holiday home insurance from Intasure.The policy is specially for holiday lets.If you have agreement for subletting you actually are landlord and responsible for your subtenants.

It should be fine, but it depends on your policy wording. I have heard about landlords being named on policies.

1 Like

Just a side-note: the city doesnā€™t have ā€œa strict one host one houseā€ rule. It is a self-regulation of Airbnb to address the situation in otherwise complicated housing market. It doesnā€™t comply with the special policies of Airbnb, but it could not be enforced per se by a city or state officials in NY (it San Francisco or others, my understanding is that it is a different story). In fact, it was meant as a possible alternative avenue so that regulators would not have to sign a new law.

I am not going to be naive, the behaviour described by this host may be illegal. But B&B, private rooms, shared rooms are legal in NYC. Separated units in an entire home which would be considered as entire home on Airbnb, such as an in-law suite, are also legal for the same reason.

It is a complex question.

Ellen is just responding to your comment earlier that a landlord will be off the hook for anything a tenant does if the landlord is kept in the dark. So whether it is subletting, tenants starting a fire or people growing pot, the landlord is ultimately responsible for anything that takes place on his or her property.
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse and will get you nowhere as a defense.

I think you were taking Ellen too literally.

1 Like