What % of the revenue do you give to your landlord?

Still think she is not making any judgements?

I would typically agree with youā€¦however, he is the one that came on here and ā€˜flauntedā€™ his activities, which happen to be very against housing code in NYC. I think at least it needs to be mentioned that what he is doing is wrong.

@Secrets Maybe you should pursue the forum and the many topics about ā€˜Is ABB legal inā€™. You are right this is a hosting forum, and knowing your local laws is critical part of hosting. Also, I am for sure judging youā€¦happy?

Its okay for you to post about laws and ABB bans, but not okay for others?? Interesting.

http://www.airhostsforum.com/t/host-in-new-york-berlin-santa-monica-or-other-areas-where-str-has-been-banned-are-you-still-hosting/7690

1 Like

@azreala I think the point of that post wasā€¦ how are you dealing with the ban ? Any ideas on how to get round it :wink:

Yes, but still housing anti-activism?? I find it daft to call me out when they are doing/saying the same thing just on the other side of aisle.

1 Like

Hmmm no think itā€™s fundamentally different. One is saying: ā€˜thereā€™s a law against it so I wonā€™t do itā€™. The other is saying: ā€˜thereā€™s a law against it but there might be a way to get around itā€™.

Iā€™m not all pointing fingers at anyone though! Weā€™ve noted before that Airbnb needs hosts to push at the legality of things itā€™s the only way to get compromise. It can also backfire when hosts try to find workarounds as it did in NYCā€¦

I agree not the same idea and fundamentally different opinions. The point I am trying to make is it is quite hypocritical to call me out from veering into the legalities of ABB on a ā€˜host forumsā€™ when this person did the same thing. Yes, we are on different sides of the fence on this particular arguments, but the underlying topic of ā€˜legalities of ABBā€™ is the same.

I agree with you the hosts should push the boundaries but cities like SF, Santa Monica, Barcelona, Berlin, Vancouver, and NYC have set laws and breaking those laws bc you donā€™t want to comply, is just ruining it for everyone else.

Or improving it for everyone else ? How can you police something if everyone fails to comply ? You canā€™t ā€¦ hence how we ended up with relaxed rules in London.

Airbnb have started advertising sublets and so I decided to search london. You will be familiar with the 90 day rule in londonā€¦ even so the Airbnb website let me put on dates for 4 months and quoted prices.

Donā€™t misunderstand me I am in no way telling people to break the law; just musing on the unintended consequences of following / not following things to the letter.

1 Like

Iā€™d say you would change your tune if Barcelona with itā€™s 17,000 Airbnb listings in a city of 2m were to ban hosting in your home. Itā€™s easy to be high and mighty about respect for the law when itā€™s someone else that is effected.

Clearly you donā€™t follow the newsā€¦Barcelona has not issued permits for over 2 years, the fine for hosting illegally is 30K or putting your house on social housing, and yesterday ABB and HomeAway were fined 600k each. Any type of hosting without a proper permit is banned.

1 Like

She is right, itā€™s totally illegal what that NY host is doing. He is putting his owner at risk as well, because if busted, the owner will be the one fined. Not the renter doing Air.

3 Likes

HELLOā€¦ SHE HAS A PERMIT to do Air in Barcelona! What are you trying to say?
She, unlike some here, do everything with her Air above board and within the parameters of the law.

Yes, This is Airbnb. Itā€™s illegal in almost every population center or HOA as 30 day rentals are the norm.

Awesome if you live in a tourist zone like Hawaii or Florida or own a cabin up in the mountains somewhere and can get a state licence that permits STR, but the vast majority of people hosting are breaking some bylaws somewhere.

We donā€™t need holier than thou nimbyā€™s telling us that we are bad people because itā€™s illegal.

Post 2 reply
yes, I know she has a PERMIT (Thanks for the caps), i am suggesting that Barcelona might change those rules given the massive backlash against Airbnb in the city and her attitude to illegal behaviour will likely change right along with it. Essentially Iā€™m saying, try looking at this in someone elses shoes instead of thinking only about your own point of viewā€¦

What are you trying to say? This is a sweeping and broad generalization. I assume the position you are defending is that of, ā€œeveryoneā€™s doing it and itā€™s illegal everywhere so I might as well do it too.ā€ā€™

I disagree with that. Either do Air within the legal parameters of your area or donā€™t do it. Period.

I have little patience for those people who skate around the laws and regulations, or try to sneak doing Air without the permission of the landlord you are putting at risk with your activities.

You sound like one of them.

2 Likes

I canā€™t get into another scrum ā€¦ so this is where I run off. Looking forward to reading what others think :slight_smile:

You are on holiday, have another mojio! Meet up with a cute cabana boy!

1 Like

I think you are way off base with your idea that ABB is illegal everywhere. Yes, you must obey your HOAs and your local city rules, but there are many population centers that allow ABB. SF and NYC come to mind, as long as you do ABB within the parameters of the law.

As for my attitude changing when laws are not in my favor. I hate to break this to you, I had to convert one of our STRs into a LTR bc of local laws, and my unwillingness to risk getting a $1000/day fine. Yes, it isnā€™t fair everyone canā€™t ABB, but sneaking around landlords and cities back, will eventually only hurt you in the end. Also, encouraging other people to find ways to break laws/hide from landlords is just plain stupid.

1 Like

Iā€™m actually a woman, but the username isnā€™t clear. Doesnā€™t matter! In any case, Iā€™m not actually in NYC, but Iā€™m very close by in Weehawken, NJ. The rules are different here but still itā€™s a gray area. Iā€™m trying to walk a very careful line where I can run a good business, be a responsible neighbor, and work towards full legality. Itā€™s not an easy plank to walk, but I try. Iā€™d very much love to be 100% legal, but Iā€™m afraid thatā€™s a far away dream. Iā€™m from Canada and before moving to the US my idea of risk was shaving my legs. Iā€™ve grown, Iā€™ve learned, and Iā€™m now not so scared of taking risks but I still think and consider the consequences and try to find a ground where I can be comfortable with. Finding comfort to take risks has allowed me to expand beyond what I ever thought possible, and along the way employ a number of people and create a good life. If it all fails and everything comes to feces, Iā€™ll still be ok. Iā€™ll go work at Dunkinā€™ Donuts and be the best donut server ever, because I love to work, I love people, and Iā€™ve determined that success is in my future.

1 Like

@superhostnyc youā€™re not legal in NYC. It is a one host / one apt town and no whole apartment rentals are allowed. As the enforcement of the recent law ramps up you may find yourself in real hot water. The fines may add up fast. Plus, if any of the apartments you are renting and then offering as a STR are rent stabilized or rent-controlled, and meant for working New Yorkers, that is a real shame.

I oppose Air in NYC in all cooperative living arrangements. Own your own house or brownstone? Knock yourself out. Live in a cooperative living arrangement? I will be in opposition alongside Linda Rosenthal, my city assembly member and my state representatives.

2 Likes

What do you mean cooperative living arrangement? What if someone owns a condo in a high rise? Not arguing, just curious.

That is a cooperative living arrangement. Also known in NYC as a multiple dwelling. Otherwise known as peopleā€™s homes and communities.