What 2 things do you wish you knew before you started hosting?

@happylittlehost That’s a very good and to-the-point list. The only thing I would add to 8 is this. If you have the possibility to arrange a small storage room somewhere within your property, it can serve you great for the late-checkout (and early checkin) requests. To guests who want a late checkout I say something along the lines: “we’re getting next guests at the date of your departure and we still need to clean the place. But here’s want I can offer you: You can leave your luggage in the storage room next door and head out to the city…” (then, I provide them with pre-written easy-to-follow instructions). Sure, not every host has the possibility to setup a small storage place but it’s worthwhile having a thought about this solution. It works perfectly for me. This way I have also solved the early-checkin requests. People seem to be grateful AND I have protected the time needed to properly clean the space. Win-win.

This sounds quite unsafe and if I was a fellow tenant in your building, I would not be happy.

1 Like

Like giving 15 long answers to a question asking for 2 things?

:laughing:

(where is the emoticon that means “good natured teasing?”)

2 Likes

Although I’m in a very different situation I also quit lowering my price to fill unbooked days. From reading posts here I determined that the lower priced places fill up first and then I just get the last minute desperation bookings.

1 Like

@chicagohost I’m not sure I understand what exactly do you find quite unsafe?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but it sounds like you’re tweaking the building’s security system to allow your guests to easily enter the building. Does your building allow short-term renting or are you doing this on the DL? We deal with a ton of package theft (esp towards the holidays) and break-ins in my neighborhood so my neighbors are tense about security issues.

1 Like

I had a lot of guests coming in with questions - mostly international. I didn’t mind to be texted or called but it was taking a lot of my time. My family and I created an online guidebook (you could use hostfully or pearlshare) to show guests everything they needed to know and it was crazy how things changed.

Second, you got to be great at time management and cleaning. MAKE A SCHEDULE!

@chicagohost I’m not tweaking the building’s security system. I’m only tweaking the way how my unit in my own apartment responds to a signal from the intercom. Only my guests know the code, that is - how many times they need to press the buzzer on the intercom in order to get into the building. That can be something like “press the button six times within the 10-second timeframe”. This prevents random people from getting in.

That said, in November 2016, a much better and safer solution is coming to the market. It was specifically designed for apartment buildings that have intercoms. When someone presses the buzzer on the intercom, it allows the owner (you) to grant access to the building remotely. The device is called Nello One. Click HERE to watch Youtube video for more information. I’m using a home-made version because at the time of setting things up nothing like that was available on the market.

I’m from Europe. In my country there’s no distinction between LTD and STR. As long as you registered (that you’re renting rooms/apartments), keep the books of guests in order, pay the occupancy and income taxes, you’re fine.

I’m not sure what do you mean by DL…

Anyway, my point was that with a bit of thought, one CAN arrange so guests can self checkin / self checkout without your presence. Some hosts are complaining that guests frequently don’t arrive when they said they will or are coming at odd hours.

This little system makes handling such cases much easier, if used in combination with safe key box mounted right next to the doors to your apartment (my preferred way, but there are dozens of electronic solutions out there that work with existing door locks).

Admittedly, it’s not for everyone (regulations & tenant rules) And, of course, one needs to provide the guests with easy-to-follow instructions that are sent in advance (Dropbox downloadable PDF). This works like a charm.

Lol you got that one right K9.

1 Like

Hey @dcmooney, even though my description is almost exact opposite to your philosophy, I like your approach too. Being a published author (have a couple of books on Amazon) I learned a thing or two how to write a product description on Kindle. So, my description focuses on telling a story and picturing the experience my guests will have. It puts them in the right mode. I break text in sections, so the whole thing is still easy on eyes.

That being said, each host should test which approach is working. And if it’s not, then change things.

But I do like your short and to-the-point description a lot:)

1 Like

I love your idea. Would you mind sharing your listing? You can pm me if you prefer. Thanks!

I thought of one more.

I place a full set of towels out for each guest (1 bath sheet, 1 hand towel, 1 washcloth) but there are always more on the open shelves in the bathroom. Very few guests have taken “extras.” However, after one guest used 10 wash clothes, I now “hold back” enough towels to properly set up the next guests to ensure that I have the basic minimum ready for back-to-back bookings.

4 Likes

I have put a “code” word in my rules almost to the end. When a guests request to book, they must provide the code word. If they only scan my listing to get the code word, not my problem, at least they know the rules are there. Since I have implemented this, it has worked well.

2 Likes

10 wash cloths… my goodness.

1 Like

in two nights… yes. there was makeup involved. :frowning: It all came out and there are now makeup removal sheets and white washcloths from Costco in a basket to help with this issue.

Why is a water filtration system in LA a big deal? Isn’t LA water safe?

Yes, the tap water in Los Angeles is safe to drink. The problem is that if you don’t filter it, it smells strongly of chlorine. The main reasons we decided to install a whole house filter are that we smelled like a swimming pool when we were done showering and the ice was making my cocktails taste like bleach.

1 Like

Two words that should NEVER appear in the same phrase!

2 Likes

I agree. That’s why we paid big to make sure that my cocktails would be pristine. It’s important to keep one’s priorities straight. I’m thinking a Negroni this evening to go with homemade pizza.

3 Likes

What’s in that, Ellen?