Reach out -please stop

Is anyone else beyond annoyed when Airbnb uses “reach out” vs proper language ie we will contact, call back?

6 Likes

They are millennials. Hope this helps.

6 Likes

“Reach out” is an epidemic. I get it from more places than I care to remember.

3 Likes

Oh yes…and, “Hope this helps” comes in a close second.

4 Likes

Except when I say that, since I actually mean it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

(I know…it was only a poke in the ribs to @KIKC. Some of his comments tickle me.)

Lately I have been hearing “Perfect!” a lot…with an annoying emphasis on the last syllable. Unfortunately, I seen to have pick up the habit but I cringe whenever it comes out of my mouth!

1 Like

OMG… when I hear any CS monkey use that phrase, it harkens me back to the worst corporate criminal in the world --Bank of America.

When I was in desperate straights trying to modify my mortgage, and stay out of foreclosure, their CSRs would use that phrase ad nauseum and it was sooooooo disingenuous because all they really wanted to do was not help by approving a modification but “reach out” and grab my house any way they could.

I absolutely HATE the phrase REACH OUT. It literally gives me measurable anxiety because of horrible Bank of America.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s right up there with ‘awesome’ and ‘super awesome’.

1 Like

Oh nooo! I am so guilty because I just used that word today! [hangs head in shame]

I was changing the time for my dental appointment and the gal said, “How’s 10:30?” and I said, “PURR-fect!”

2 Likes

Every time I hear it, I imagine an arm emerging from the grave, a’la “Thriller” circa 1983-84.

1 Like

Last night I had to contact AirBnB support for the first time. We had guests booked to arrive today, but yesterday evening there was a torrential rainstorm here and the sewers couldn’t cope. Briefly, the surrounds of our house were flooded with raw sewage - we couldn’t possibly let anyone come to stay. So I contacted support and within half an hour they’d cancelled the reservation (at no costs to us) and re-housed the guests. They did really well - apart from the "“sign off” on their emails to me - “Have an amazing day!”. Yes, it was pretty amazing - we were knee-deep in sewage! There are times when this cheerfulness is not entirely appropriate!

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about this. Sounds deeply unpleasant.

Good to hear that Airbnb did exactly what they are meant to do and cancelled without penalty under extenuating circumstances.

I agree the Americanisms can grate on our European ears.

I find them telling me the importance of emailing my guest to find out how their stay is, when I am sitting next to the guest equally irritating. They could use a simple filter to only message hosts with whole listings about this.

2 Likes

I too, am driven crazy. Its never a “good” amazing day if I have to call them.

The worst is the phrase “in order to service you better”. The verb to service is an animal husbandry term. Often I think they are not far off…In order to F#$% you better!
Why cant they say “in order to serve you better”??

9 Likes

“I agree the Americanisms can grate on our European ears.”

(hmmm…)

Sorry if I have offended :blush: perhaps American customer service approach and talk would be a better way of describing it…better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually I think “reach out” is becoming widespread (in fact, it’s literally “reaching out” to the UK, I guess). But YES, YES. YES, I agree. I think it’s supposed to sound more empathetic somehow. Now I’m willing to reach out to a friend who’s having a hard time, but I’m not “reaching out” to the plumber to come and unclog our drains!

Here is the only version of “reaching out” that I’ll accept:

The Four Tops

4 Likes

Wow, I had forgotten the “high-water pants” style. It’s like the guys had a growth spurt or mistakenly ran the wash with hot water.

As long as we’re talking about horrible customer service phrases, how about, “I do apoloIgize.” As soon as I hear that, what I actually here is, “I don’t apologize.” It’s so obviously stated in order to not address a real problem, and just move on.

3 Likes