Inaugeration Dates & Prices

If they haven’t booked and you think you’d like more money; increase the price now and explain you hadn’t fully adjusted the prices. They won’t be happy but you might get another guest who would be :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought they might have moved on. I would always honour the price for anyone I had communicated with before. Have not had that experience, and maybe Air’s site would prevent it.
I have no issue with a special offer to anyone who had inquired at the old price.

@Martha, that’s a good compromise.

No, as far as I’ve seen, air does not prevent it. In fact, it’s possible that the guest wouldn’t even notice it; I don’t know.

Since my base price for January is $105, and the first people who booked (but cancelled) were paying $260 a night, I should be happy with $1,125 avg per night; right?

It would be easier if she hadn’t asked such a question…

1 Like

As a test I change the price on their fourth night from $750 to $1,250, and it changed the amount they would pay, on the little calculation on the left of the messages.

I would not take the booking without making her aware of the change - but isn’t that interesting? The really interesting thing would be to see if she noticed, or, was notified.

1 Like

If you are on IB and you got an inquiry, then she’s likely still shopping around (as I’m sure many others are).

I would also honor the price she originally enquired about or clearly explain you have to raise the rate and were just in the process of doing it when she enquired. This is a once in a lifetime event (let’s hope!) so I think you can name your price and not feel guilty!

2 Likes

As it’s a very very very high demand event. I will raise my price if I did wrong.

she wrote to ask if I’m close to public transportation… ah, yes, it is explained in detailed in 3 places in my listing.

I did write to her and explain that I had just opened those dates with some pricing but hadn’t discussed it with my partner yes but would asap and get back to her. Had she read my listing even briefly and instant booked, I would have, of course, accepted it without a quibble.

My gut had told me to keep the dates blocked and wait and see what happens. Shoulda listened…

1 Like

Wait I’m confused. You booked it? Or a guest just enquired?

1 Like

DC, I think it’s absolutely ethical to raise your price. The guest had the chance to IB at your current price and chose not to.

For me, this is a business and I have no shame in maximizing profits. I recall this came up in another thread and I still recommend not opening the dates until closer to the inauguration or building in an early booking premium. Good luck! I wish we had such a big upcoming event!

Me too! What happened??

Raise your price to 1250$ each night and be done with it!

We have a huge conference here in Barcelona in Feb, when our base price for 2 is normally €150, I typically have only raised the price to €300/€400 for this event. We always get booked in Dec, meaning our price is too low. So this year I raised it to €650 and we got booked even sooner, early Nov! Next year its going to €1000!!

3 Likes

Just an inquiry, asking if I’m close to public transportation. :weary:

way to go, @azreala!!

yes! Thanks - I could not remember who had suggested that I wait - but I did remember, and that’s what my gut was telling me to do…I just got eager.

I heard back from her this evening. She found out that there’s another march happening in San Francisco, 40 minutes from her, so she’ll just go to that one. Hmmm…travel across the country and pay $4,500 for 4 nights lodging, or drive 40 minutes?

It’s just a volatile time. Lots of emotions. None of us need people wasting our time. I’m going to keep it closed for now. I’ll let you know what happens!!

If you don’t have much competition in your area, I guess it’s okay. Like SuiteINSeattle says, there’s nothing wrong in maximizing profits. But if you’re gonna do that where there’s around 30,000 other listings in your area, I’d think twice.

Oh I thought it was open and they enquired off IB. In that case raise it UP, Miss DC, waaaaay up!!!

Our other DC forum friend says he forgot to change his price and guests instant booked and were delighted. They said they couldn’t find a single opening! I am sure you will get booked as it gets closer.

2 Likes

put it on pause, then finish remodel, then list. You have months = plenty of time. Get top price.
Or list with all the remodel facts if you are sure it will be completed in time.

Why are you going ti keep it closed?? I dont understand. Open the dates up with a hugh rate.

1 Like

Yeah same? I would also have the dates open and would want to lock a booking at a high price ASAP.

Yes please do - this is so exciting living vicariously through you! Such an awesome opportunity for your family. Every single day I read about more and more marches being planned. Hopefully you get a Trump-thumper with a big budget. Maybe say in your listing that you have plenty of storage for placards and airhorns :wink:

2 Likes