Inaugeration Dates & Prices

…that’s so funny - thanks for the chuckle! Maybe I should even stock some supplies!!!

1 Like

I need to check my copy of the Constituion. Last I checked, the right to gather and protest peacefully was allowed.

But then again we have a new world order now.

1 Like

Why do you think a march the day after the inauguration is disruptive? The day off, perhaps. The day after? Just back to business as usual in the nation’s capital.

1 Like

OMG. Church’s Chicken!!! I miss FL!

1 Like

Is this how you characterize the more than one million and counting voters who voted for Hillary over Trump? Wait, PLEASE don’t answer.

1 Like

I’m sure there were protests about Obama when he was elected in 2008. I was OK with it. People should have the right to protest as long as it is peaceful!

1 Like

Protests when Obama got elected? Don’t think so.
Gathering peacefully is one thing, behaving peacefully seems to be the tricky part nowadays. I guess the demonstrators in no uncertain terms, will let Trump know they hate his guts, but I think he knows that already. :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Responding to all the interesting posts re: the protests

I just don’t care for the timing. I understand the timing, and respect their right to the timing - but I’m like @Robert_Dudley - I look for ways to ‘game’ the system and travel within my budget. My favorite reason for home schooling was so we could travel off-season - to the beach mid-May, etc., and reap the benefits, including low crowds.

So why would a million sensible women come to DC when prices and crowds are at a peak? Why come when the rooms will go for $1-3,000 a night, weather could be quite terrible (thought @konacoconutz didn’t get to see it, we do get snow and ice), and the metro will be packed.

And the timing, to me, just looks petty. Why not pick another date - March 1, perhaps, and call it ‘women march day’. Or whatever. ‘march for love’. Why make it just ‘million women’? Millions of men are as horrified by Donald Trump’s remarks. Why not 'Million ‘mericans’? Set a new date, cast a wider net, and let’s let the world know that we are not all they are saying we are. Even many Republicans dislike Donald Trump immensely.

I would come to that march.

1 Like

Exactly, they didn’t all just auto-lined up and backed him no matter what. Lets us hope he represents all people, as it should be.
You make a good point, why that expensive weekend; I was stationed in Andrews AF base, you are right, it could get cold in January.

1 Like

We all know why that weekend. Impact.

1 Like

I was invited to the Hillary and the March. I don’t like crowds or the cold. I like to be able to pee at my convenience.

The March is, in part, to give people who already made inaugural reservations something to do to feel better and to not lose money on non-refundable fees. It certainly isn’t disrupt an event that will already be over. I think the money spent on the March by organizers and attendees would be better spent on litigation, lobbying, and advertising by progressive groups. I celebrate the participants’ ability to march, I just question it’s efficacy.

2 Likes

The only thing I would add is, the money can also be spent supporting the people who need help - for instance, I have a friend - a former guest, really - who is a professional life guard from Australia who has made a new ‘career’ out of spending time in Greece rescuing refugees who are attempting to make it to land, and, speaking on their behalf. So if you feel strongly that refugees should be supported - supporting him is an option. I think the $4,000 the woman was looking at spending to spend time at my place and march may be better used supporting that one person’s mission - or any of the other great causes - whichever are the ones you feel strongly about.

Individual actions make the real impact.

2 Likes

One of my former students has started a group to help refugees. She studied Arabic in school and is now in Greece as well. One of the financial bloggers I read said take your tax cut and give it to causes you support. I don’t make enough to get a tax cut though. LOL. There are many things one can do to help their cause and I’m not in the business of saying which is better.

3 Likes

absolutely, and I hope it didn’t seem like I was saying that.

3 Likes

Since that Washington Post article came out the market is even MORE flooded with airbnbs. A week ago there were a handful going for under $1,000. Now there are 55, most with the little NEW tag and many others with no reviews. (counting airbnbs equidistant to city-center or closer)

:unamused:

I still have my price set pretty high… but I’m not actually cut out for such antics!

2 Likes

Yeah I wonder if you should be going with trying to lock in a price sooner rather than later… it’s a game of poker for sure ! Got my fingers crossed for you so want you to get the best you can!

1 Like

Using Travelocity & booking.com I’ve been tracking prices of hotels in DC. I chose hotels under $1,000 a night. They do not seem to be lowering their prices, but the little “we have x rooms left!” number isn’t changing. Well, some are fluctuating - I assume the hotels are releasing rooms to the discounters over time.

But no significant changes. Average price in this price range is $560 for 4. Most of them are just one-room rooms, two double or queen beds. My price for 4 at this time is $610, for a 2 bedroom apt.

However, new listings continue to flood the market on airbnb. Since two days ago it appears there were 30 listings added (a rough idea). Most of them were in the less-than-$600 range. There are a total of 293 listings under $1,000. There are about 120 in my price range - many closer into town.

I’m sure many of you are bored with this topic by now, but if anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated.

We are thinking of lowering our price just enough so that it is just under $600. Part of me thinks we should hold out until the Women’s March permits are issued, and/or the electoral college has finalized the vote - next date is 12/19 - but it’s not all wrapped up until Jan 6 or so…

@konacoconutz - got any openings this month? :wink: A glass of port with your gorgeous view would be real nice!!

Nancy

1 Like

II’m not a good poker player. For me I would just want a booking, which means I would likely ignore what I could theoretically get and price it at a level that was good for me and good for the guests. (Around 2-3 times my normal price).

I read a lot about pricing … lots of theories and lots of advice suggesting when you’re fully booked your pricing is too low. I remember feeling stupid as as the time I was fully booked three months in advance.
Roll forward 3 months and all the hosts in a local group I’m in are complaining there’s no bookings …and I meanwhile was fine. Suddenly I didn’t feel so stupid after all. The thing no-one mentions about pricing higher is that it is risky. It might pay off it might not.

I also think guests respect hosts that are fair. Personally when I see hugely inflated prices I laugh and move on. People are generally not stupid : )

My suggestion? Go with what you’d be happy, the number that makes you feel good not the number that makes you feel giddy. And when you get that booking, enjoy it. Feel happiness that you’ve made more than you usually would instead of horror that you missed out on making more.

1 Like

Latest word is, there will be no permit for the March. The Parks folks have decided to not permit any ancillary events that weekend. I still think people will be marching, based on my network of friends, but they will be doing so without the correct paperwork.

1 Like

I do! Two days starting Monday and then booked almost solid through February! :smiley: