Inaugeration Dates & Prices

dcmooney, and even MORE money if you kept the dates blocked until early January and checked one of the dynamic pricing sites (free demo) for your optimal nightly rate.

Which site do you like? Beyond Pricing disappointed me.

I haven’t paid for either, but have regularly used Beyond Pricing more than Everbooked. (There was a glitch with the Everbooked demo for a while which has since been fixed.) Beyond Pricing increased our prices to uncomfortable levels but guests gladly paid. We realized we weren’t in competition with other hosts, but with the hotels. It ended up being a super summer.

I just looked at Everbooked pricing and I think it’s way too high given all the vacancies!

Ah, the presidential election got everyone in Japan riled up. The foreign exchange was extremely volatile, with the JPY trading at 101 yen to the US$ before election results. This is due to all the speculation. But after Trump was elected, the JPY plunged to 105 yen. But the Plunge can be good news to some hosts here, as many hosts show their prices in US$, like me :slight_smile:

Other than that, Trump is threatening to withdraw his military forces from Japan, especially Okinawa. The punch line is, “make your own military and defend yourself! And if you guys don’t cooperate by committing your troops to our cause, then we won’t help you guys when you’re being invaded”.

@Omotenashi_host We do our best here not to get into politics, because it always proves to be such a divisive subject, but it sure is the most interesting of times.

2 Likes

I don’t see a problem with @Omotenashi_host’s post. He limited himself to stating facts.

2 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting there was a problem. Just sharing a thought in passing, considering he is new here.

New here? Gee, gotta love the welcoming atmosphere in this community! I already saw so much critique in one of the threads where someone got banned.

2 Likes

Banned? What do you mean?

1 Like

I agree with you. I see plenty of discussion of politics on this board. I don’t think that there should be a waiting period before you can state your views.

For the record, I think it’s really interesting to hear what is happening in the world in relation to the U. S. Presidential election and to hear what people in other parts of the world think about it. I just received an email from a Japanese guest with whom I’ve become friends asking what I think.

1 Like

Forget I mentioned it. :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

Sorry about that Mearns :frowning:
I didn’t mean to ignite a fire in you guys. Being I’m an American living in the Land of Rising Sun, maybe I alienated myself from the original community. And considering “when” I posted, I guess it was a touchy issue, no? :grin:

Forget it. :slight_smile: I love to talk about politics, as long as someone doesn’t take it personally, which is always the risk. I am in Belize, Holy Moly, they are all bummed today Trump got elected, and think is the end of the world. I remind them, nothing is. Been around like 50,000 years. LOL

Addendum: Question far you. Do people in Japan ‘feel’ the increasing presence of Chinese ‘activism’ in the South China Sea (making islands, claiming a wider territorial right, etc). I been dying to know how people in Japan feel about that.

PM me and ill give you the answer :))

Hi @Mearns,

How’s it going? Well, if He Who Must Not Be Named starts WW III, then it could be be the end of the world, or at least of us. They haven’t had nuclear weapons in the last 50k years. They’re a relatively new arrival.

Hahaha. How many guesses do I get? Give me a hint, I am a bit slow today. What letter does his name start with? :grin:

Let me set you a (suitably Apocalyptic) fill-in the-blank exercise.

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last xxxxx: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

5 letters. Fill in the blank.

1 Like

I opened up the dates, set a minimum of 4 nights, and set the price at $1,250 for the 19th-22nd, with $750 for 2 nights on each side of it.

I was a bit afraid I was still selling myself short, but on the other hand, thought it was a ridiculously high price. What I dreaded the most was that I would quickly get a booking, showing that I had, perhaps set the price to low. And that is what happened. They booked from the 20th-23, so I get three nights at $1,250 and one at $750.

Still a huge payout for my little space. But I should have waited… It’s interesting this pull between not being a greedy person by nature, but wanting my piece of this pie.

Actually it was just an inquiry, asking if there is public transportation near me. Which, of course, I clearly specify all over the listing… just like this … in 3 places…

Walk 5 min to the F4 bus stop
Ride 2 miles to Prince George Station (or drive and park)
20 minute metro ride to city center.
Or - MARC train/.5 mile walk/12 minute ride to Union Station
Free Parking at house
visit the metro website to determine if my location is convenient for you.

2 Likes

I don’t understand. Did they book? If not and you think you went to low, can’t you just adjust your rate up?
We went from $200 to $325 for our 3 rooms and bath for a big event. Could have gone higher but REALLY like the sound (and reviews) of the guest, Uses Air a lot reads listings carefully etc.
So, IMHO Money is superb, bit its not everything!

1 Like

You bring up an interesting point, @Martha. As far as I can tell, airbnb has not made it so that, once someone makes an inquiry and is given a ‘quote’, the host can still raise the price. I have done it unwittingly before - but the guest never said anything. It was a small amount - but is it ethical to change the price on a listing after someone has inquired?

Would just love to know other hosts’ opinions.

She could have booked using instantbook

This guest has 1 1-line review from 2014, nothing more. She obviously did not read the listing.

Yes, I have a kid going to college in 2018 and her top choice is not cheap. And we’ve put a ton of money into the space.

1 Like