Horrible Amatuer Hour/ROOKIE mistakes

If I remember rightly, he doesn’t like old people either. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

He also doesn’t like Asians or Africans. He only likes people exactly like him. Thankfully those people stay in hotels.

8 Likes

@steve5500, sometimes I would love it if I didn’t have to communicate with guests at all. Sometimes I’m just not in the mood. I’d also like it if money grew on trees and I could simply get out bed, yawn and stretch, and then wander out into the garden at my leisure and pick those notes off the branches. Meanwhile, in the real world, you have paying guests and if you continue to treat them like shit they will stop coming. In brief, if you want their money you need to work for it.

5 Likes

but make it appear that it isn’t work at all. The trick to this business is to make what is difficult appear to be easy and natural. I learned this years ago, even before I was in hotel management, and worked in restaurants. The floor would be calm and beautiful with music and loveliness, and then you would move into the kitchen where the pace was frantic, the chefs were yelling at the line cooks, and your rushed from station to station collecting what you needed. But the moment you went through those doors to the floor, you had to slow down, take a deep breath, and move slowly with grace and purpose.

4 Likes

jacquo is welcome to book in my abode, I will be army style no hippie stuff allowed but I will be nice to her even if she’s not young young anymore lol, she’s pretty groovy and would give the young ones a run for there money lol.
Just no door slamming Jaquo or rookie mistakes and you will receive no punishments and evictions lol.
So you beheve and I won’t make you do push ups or mop the floor, like in Army if you getta out of line.

1 Like

Steve5500 - Their, There and They’re. Very important distinctions.

3 Likes

Here is an article that demonstrates how important punctuation can be:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/03/16/lack-oxford-comma-costs-maine-company-millions-overtime-dispute/BIxK837fA2C06qavQMDs5J/story.html

3 Likes

Ooh, I love a punctuation debate! I can bore for my country on the issues of the serial comma and erroneous apostrophes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not to mention the erroneous use of hyphens!

1 Like

Darn. I’m anti-Oxford comma, Conrad is pro. This will give him ammunition.

I don’t play sides!

20 20

Since you asked for our feedback…

I think this is somewhat over the top. Every one of us is guilty of clicking the “I agree to the terms of service” without actually reading them. I try to read every contract I sign and all that jazz, but like Guthend I can’t say I read the rules of hotels. I expect that I’ll be my usual good self and none of it will matter. I also figure hotels only put such rules to cover their own asses, and understandably so.

I personally wouldn’t dream of sitting down with a guest and going over house rules. I’d be even less likely to do it if English isn’t their first language knowing how embarrassing that would be for them. If they are breaking a rule, I’d nicely point it out but that’s about it.

And if a host did that with me and grew increasingly irritable that I wasn’t understanding him, I’d be offended, to be honest. I’d wonder if I was being discriminated against for being young, wondering if my host thought I looked “poor” or if it’s because my spouse is a different race to myself.

One time our host in Argentina ran after us at 6 am as we were leaving, and she ordered us back inside so she could inspect the place before we left. She chided that it was in the rules (which we couldn’t find). Bad feeling–it inferred we were running off after stealing and trashing the place or something. Anyway, hosts… be kind to guests. Assume the best of them. Be most excellent.

8 Likes

Not everyone is a great fit for Airbnb Veronica ! I have said in in other Forums , Airbnb is not for everyone, Host and Guests alike . Some people see $$$ signs in their eyes and feel that they can get away with being lazy and foolish and its a money grab for them on airbnb , but they won’t last long .
If a guest has limited language skills , there is Google Translate and other apps for help . International guests can also see listings in different languages , so its easy to understand what most listings say .

But the easiest way to resolve any issue is to communicate first thing when you receive an inquiry or reservation request . I tell all potential guests to please make sure that to ensure a great stay with me , that they have fully read the entire listing and house rules . If they are New to Airbnb I take a few extra minutes to help walk them through the listing and on occasion translate it into the guests native language . Upon check in / Arrival I also go over the house rules and info directly with the guest .
I never had any issues with any guest over the house rules , they guests felt very well taken care of and I have over 500 5 Star guest stays . I don’t do anything extra special , I just use good common sense an there is no reason for anyone else not to .

2 Likes

I think I can remember only one guest who fully read my listing, nearly fell over.

1 Like

Could not agree more with @PHX. I think we all need to relax a little and just trust that people will do the right thing most of the time. I works for me (and over 260 guests I have hosted so far).

3 Likes

I actually own the book “Eats, Shoots & Leaves”. I’m an odd bird - an engineer that is a closet English teacher!

1 Like

Me too! One of my favourites. :slight_smile:

Ok jaquo and @PitonView, I’m intrigued about this book. Tell me more!

1 Like

Well, it’s totally brilliant when it comes to punctuation and grammar. Which sounds awfully boring but it’s written in a very entertaining way.

If I remember rightly the author’s explanation of the titles differs from mine. :slight_smile:

To me it comes from an old Australian joke - what is the difference between a koala bear and your lover? Bearing in mind that ‘shoots’ is a euphemism (in the case of the second phrase), the answer is that ‘a koala eats shoots and leaves’, whereas the lover ‘eats, shoots and leaves’. :wink:

Note the comma. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a great read. Author is Lynne Truss. If you buy a copy make sure to get the original version and not the version aimed at children which hasn’t had such good reviews. @jaquo Love your origin of the title, not heard that one before. She should have gone with that and not the cute little gun-toting panda!

1 Like