Homestay guests

For those who look for other rental platforms check out Homestay. I listed with them in February and already had 6 guests and all of them were 2-3 weeks stays and really great guests.

2 Likes

I had guests from there simply not show up and then there is no way to collect anything. The site has the deposit and that is all that matters for them. Prices are also way too low in my area (Costa Rica). Besides that, any little bit helps.

What you mean prices too low for your area. You are the one that sets up prices right?
They don’t show up at all after paying deposit? That’s a bit strange justvto loose money like that.

I am using the same prices as on Airbnb, but all the other listings are way lower. Additionally any guests looking are always looking for way lower prices …

Isn’t this the one where you must give breakfast?

After having reviewed their website, this is a site for people who share their spaces and lives. Based on your comments in the past, you want independent and self-directed guests. I don’t think that this fits your bill. Heck, I share a space, but don’t include my life as part of the deal [unless I like them.]

I, too, was surprised by how low the posted prices are.

I just looked at it too, and was surprised to see only one person nearby (by nearby that means about 12 miles away) renting a shared bedroom for $120. What the heck. Cray expensive. That’s my rate for a couple months in the high season!

So if you have a separate or self contained space like I do, this wouldn’t be a good fit ? It’s only a fit for shared spaces?

I can’t quite tell, but it appears that they are selling the old AirBNB model. You are staying in someone’s home. They will give you tons of inside stories. And hang out with you to have a glass of wine. I would love someone who is actually using them to clarify what the guests’ expectations are.

Well Yana does. She has a home sharing situation.
Yana, what makes this guest different from ABB guests? Easier, less expectations?

Just looked up another homestay listing locally-- a dorm bunk bed style of offering where one guest was $45 and two were $132???

I can offer light breakfast easily as I already do offer coffee and tea, I just don’t advertise it on Air to keep expectations low.

It does sound like it’s just for shared home type situations

Question: any reviews on those overpriced ones?
Here they usually don’t, only the cheap ones. Also: the 15% commission …called a deposit towards the guest lower your take so be careful on the pricing.

I have a shared situation also and am home, so the more involved hosting style works for me. In my case guests are on vacation and they are more ‘needy’ . They will also use the kitchen more, do expect to do laundry …

All of my guests were very independent . And they very much fit my bill.

Kona , actually you were the one who who told me to check them out. First, all of them were longer stays guest’s. Very good communication. Couple were using homestay before but the rest were first time. Only one of them instead of 1 month stayed one week because he ran out of money but was super sweet young guy from Germany.
I completely forgot the fact that I need to serve breakfast. And not one guest even mentioned it. We discussed kitchen before hand and all went fine with all of them. Only one couple from Jamaica I let cook because they are vegetarian and she has restaurant in Jamaica where she cooks herself. They were the most wonderful guests and amazing meals she made. She already gave me deposit for 2 weeks stay in December.
They all left me 5* reviews😀. I found them to be less fussy and more grateful than Airbnb guests. None of them even slightly criticized anything and did not expect my home to have hotel futures like some Air guests do.

1 Like

Did I…??? I don’t remember!!!
I could always try it. And see what happens.

Do you collect the payment at the time of booking? The deposit you speak of, is that the 15 percent they give to the platform?

I did not see any special expectations. In this aspect they were like Air guests without fuss. I think because it’s stressed more that it’s just someone’s home . All of them without exclusion were very clean and respectful just like guests are supposed to be😀. The best part for me was that they stayed longer a minimum of one week. The longest stay was 3 weeks, wonderful
Woman from Russia who was vey private, did not talk much and spent all days at the beach.
All of them asked about laundry and followed the rule of doing just 2 loads per week.

Yes you did :grinning:. You even said they are relatively new.

1 Like

They pay to platform first and then they pay me in cash. No she gave me 100$ directly to me.
The funny part is that all of them are supposed to pay the whole amount right away but ALWAYS ask to pay weekly. I agree and they sonpay without problems. Of course there is part that makes me worried if they indeed will pay but so far there was no problems. I so far rented. 14 weeks to homestay guests. Not bad from February.

Bahahah I am losing it! Oh… can I get your advice? I will tag you on my private thread.

Sounds like a half-way house between Airbnb and couchsurfing!

I also found Homestay guests are great guests. They usually stay longer than does your standard Airbnb guest, but I set a maximum stay of one week on both platforms, so “longer” doesn’t mean very long, in my case.

They don’t usually expect breakfast, in spite of what is written on homestay.com, but then I usually offer breakfast to all guests, anyway, whichever platform they used to book, Airbnb, Homestay, Wimdu, or any other. Less than 20 per cent take up the offer.

Homestay does put a great emphasis on the fact “you don’t just share your home, but you share your life” which has led to one Homestay booking with the guy - a total stranger - wanting to spend a lot of time going out to pubs with me, which he communicated before he arrived. I responded by planning a “business trip” so I wasn’t around when he was supposed to arrive, so what he did was he cancelled less than 24 hours before arrival time. I didn’t receive a single cent, then, which made me ask for a downpayment of 50 per cent before arrival from all subsequent Homestay guests. This works fine; these days, almost everybody is familiar with using PayPal to send money to me.