GuestBox- Amenities Box

You can buy PG Tips here but it’s about $11 for a small box. Crazy.

Anytime you know where to find me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Michelle,
That sounds like a great idea - and it is something we have done from day 1 as Hosts on AirBNB
We are Hosts who live in our home and have two rooms for guests. We provide a whole array of snacks as well as toiletries for every guest.

We do our best to “tailor” this to guests’ needs … that is when guests let us know their needs and preferences in advance.

We live in Fitzroy, VIC - so this is a popular destination for Vegetarians, Vegans and Pescatarians … and we also have many guests who have Gluten, Nut and Dairy intolerances. This provides certain challenges for us and can often mean last minute late night visits to the supermarket to cater to.

Our “Gift” set has transformed significantly over the last 18 months and now consists of about 90% vegan friendly treats, gluten, nut and dairy free snacks from the local Coles.

In addition, we also present a set of boutique botanical shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and facial soap to each guest. We get these from a local hotel supplier.

Not every guest uses the toiletries, so we quite often get to ‘reuse’ them, so-to-speak.
And I also have to say that not every guest seems to appreciate the effort.

It can be quite an expense and we have experimented with lots of different contents.
But cost effective is a real priority so that we can keep our costs in check.

Happy to help work-shop any ideas!

Cheers from David

My laminator is my best friend. My guests can spill wine and coffee all over my welcome book and my “curated” map with local features noted! And I JUST put up a laminated “Please use the disposable makeup wipes” in the bath after an unfortunate face cloth/hand towel episode with some highly makeup enhanced ladies. (Is Tammy Faye Baker staying with me?)

It looks like we scared off the OP, but I’m with everyone else in saying this isn’t the greatest idea and I as a host would never buy it.

Main reason is, I see no point in paying extra for an amenity that plays zero role in the booking decision. Once the guest is in my door, then sure, I care about getting good reviews. But I already have those in the categories relevant to this amenity.

So, at the end of the day… this add-on doesn’t help me make more money.

You may be correct in identifying our market as higher end property rentals. I am well into thinking this could be in terms of rentals within 250 plus a night.

I appreciate your feedback, and we hope to expand on what we currently have. Sometimes bold moves need to be done in order to get constructive feedback- such as that you have given me.

My co-founder no longer does Airbnb as at the time she lived in New York and her job required her to travel full time- she was able to capitalize at the time on her property. Life continues.

I agree that those traveling to destinations where they may want to explore locally would make sense to have items that are from nearby,

I’d love to be your guest! Big bottle shampoo and conditioner is always my favorite. Thank you for your feedback and this is something to definitely consider.

Hi David-

That’s awesome, I am sorry to hear that not every guest appreciates your effort. I’d like to know about the guests that do, will they mention this in reviews. When I stay in any Airbnb I compare reviews from potential destinations especially if they are around the same price range.

How much time and effort as well as money do you put into creating this experience?

Thanks

Not scared off, just very busy :slight_smile: Also tea conversation took over. I am more of a Cuban coffee drinker. I’m curious to know where you would categorize your listing. Do you rent out a room a whole house?

Cheers!

I do whole house, and I try making it reasonably luxurious to compensate for the less-than-great neighborhood.

Hello Michelle
I would like to get in touch with you .
Please provide the contact details at mmagens@rediffmail.com

@guestbox
Michelle,
Now as a second-year host, I have no interest in stays shorter than 7 days, however, I will take a 4-5 day stay if I have gaps in my calendar.In the kitchen I offer dish soap, dishwasher pods, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, sugar, sweetener, oil, salt and pepper (plus refrigerated basics). In the bathroom, I make a variety of items available to my guests such as shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, toothpaste, cotton balls, soap, etc. I offer both the mini-versions as well as full-sizes. Surprisingly, in the bathroom, most guests use one or two items (soap) and don’t touch anything else. Even in the kitchen, many guests don’t touch the water, milk, eggs, bread, etc (I only offer closed containers, no left-overs),
For the bathroom I buy most of my mini items at Big Lots for $.25 each (mini Crest toothpaste, etc.).
I would not buy a guest-box because I find it convenient to just buy it myself and because my guests tend not to use most of the stuff that I make available.