GuestBox- Amenities Box

This is a really great and important point. It’s core to the original concept of airbnb - living like a local in non-touristy areas and experiencing real homes. And contributing to the local economy is a major plus too, from providing local goods, as you say, to recommending local restaurants, bars and cafes.

4 Likes

Some of our small local businesses have really had a hard time in recent years, especially because big chain stores have been increasingly moving into the area. So I love to recommend guests to the small, local places. But also, I find that they get better service and better goods. They can probably get stuff a little bit cheaper at a major store but guests really are living like a local.

2 Likes

Exactly. Some of my local small shops have had to close for these reasons. I refuse to use those small supermarket ‘Locals’ because they’re like big bully locusts - they swarm in, fight over the territory, pushing out the small independents and the local identity is swallowed up. And then they put up their prices. Aaggh, don’t get me started!!

1 Like

My guests get to use big bottles of shampoo and body wash (and lotion and mouthwash), but I also leave out little bottles from my “curated” (i.e. picked up at hotels!) collection, free toothbrushes from my dentist, and little toothpastes I pick up on sale. BOGO is my middle name. I really have most anything you might need, from Bandaids to condoms. Most guests use the big bottles and don’t take ANY of the little items, but if they desperately need something they are so grateful – the lady with the blisters raved about the bandaids and antibiotic spray. I am residential in location – store or cafe is at least a half mile hike – so I do provide snacks and continental brekkie. Again, whatever’s on sale or bulk buy online and stockpile in the garage or freezer. I have a dollar limit per day per guest of what I will provide in my head at all times. (Oh, look, heaps of almost expired Nutella packets in the sale bin!) So I wouldn’t use your service unless you could, eg sell me bulk tp at some fabulous discount. That doesn’t seem to be what you are aiming at tho – best of luck with lux mkt or whomever you are targeting.

1 Like

I had a lot of negative reaction from guests who don’t approve of the waste involved with small bottles of shampoo etc. so I switched to large bottles and everyone now seems happy.
Perhaps your business could supply nice non-branded see-through bottles for hosts to fill up.
Personally, I would like some sort of container where I can put the make-up remover cloths together with the cardboard instructions of how to use it, without the cardboard getting wet.

Only Yorkshire tea in this household!

2 Likes

What about just laminating the instructions? Or you can get those plastic transparent displays

Thanks for that, I have tried that but the two items still look separate. I’ll have to think of a way to make them look as if they belong together. By the way, guests seem to use them which stops them ruining my towels: http://cdn3.volusion.com/adzjm.wyesd/v/vspfiles/photos/NVtwls-5.jpg

Yorkshire GOLD here. If I have an English guest coming I ask them to pretty please bring me a box of YG and I will pay them back!

3 Likes

Happy to post a packet whenever it’s needed!

1 Like

Earl Grey, Assam, Chai and Bewley’s for me :slight_smile:

Yorkshire Tea is a brand of blended tea from Taylor’s of Harrogate.

I assume Bewley’s is also a brand?

Earl grey is a blend made by most tea houses. Assam is a pure leaf tea but of course will taste different depending on which company you buy it from. Chai is tea with spices and I suppose it’s an attempt at making Indian tea convenient. Personally I have never found chai in a teabag or powder anything like the real thing (where you boil
Black tea, water, cardamon and star anise with milk and sugar).

Yes I’m a tea addict.

You don’t need guests from the UK to get your tea. Simply order from here:

English Tea Store - Yorkshire Gold

2 Likes

I’m shocked at the prices, particularly the 200 box. Looking at the reviews it seems others took issue with the cost as well.

1 Like

Was the tea lesson meant to be for me or someone else :slight_smile: @Zandra …just wasn’t too sure who the explanation was for?

I make my own chai but make it as some Indian friends showed me with cardamon, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and peppercorns - but don’t drink it with milk just a spoon of honey.

Bewley’s is an Irish brand that makes a wide range of tea’s and coffees.

Not really for you but for anyone who isn’t in to tea like we are in the UK. What you said was the equivalent of I drink Ethiopian coffee, cappuccino and Starbucks but of course you know that living in England. For those not familiar with tea I thought the distinction would be useful. A lot won’t give two hoots but tea is my thing.

Hi @Zandra

It was just chit chat .

Lot of people mention food or other items on here and I have no clue what they are. Google or asking them normally works for me.

For anyone who was offended by me not defining the types of tea I drink…I apologise :slight_smile:

“A lot won’t give two hoots [about tea]…”

(I know I had a couple of hoots around here somewhere – must’ve given 'em away, darn it.)

2 Likes

One of the few things in England that’s affordable is the tea. I got a pleasant shock my first trip into sainsbury and saw all the teas on sale for soooo cheap! Thanks so much for your offer Zandra, I may take you up on it!

1 Like

Next time you’re over @konacoconutz have a look at Aldi or Lidl - you’ll be even more shocked at their prices :slight_smile: